Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone messed with the dash pad yet? It's buzzing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
My car has been in the SC three times for buzzes and rattles since taking possession in September. Most recently the dash pad began to buzz loudly on the passenger side. This was hard to reproduce on a test drive but once it started buzzing the lead technician confirmed that they would need to address it. He mentioned a new dash pad.

I got the car back and sure enough could not replicate the problem on a 15 minute test drive. However, driving home it buzzed a couple of times. Much better than before but still not perfect. Based on what the tech who actually performed the repair told me it's not evident that it was replaced, but rather that he took it off and did something like apply foam tape, etc., to prevent it from buzzing.

Has anyone taken it off? How hard is it? I really don't want to bring it in again since it's now harder to reproduce. If I can remove it safely I can look at what was done and might be able to further improve it on my own.

Another option I suppose is to arrange mobile service but not sure if this is something they can address... especially with it being difficult to reproduce the problem.

My car has been in the SC three times for buzzes and rattles since taking possession in September. Most recently the dash pad began to buzz loudly on the passenger side. This was hard to reproduce on a test drive but once it started buzzing the lead technician confirmed that they would need to address it. He mentioned a new dash pad.

I got the car back and sure enough could not replicate the problem on a 15 minute test drive. However, driving home it buzzed a couple of times. Much better than before but still not perfect. Based on what the tech who actually performed the repair told me it's not evident that it was replaced, but rather that he took it off and did something like apply foam tape, etc., to prevent it from buzzing.

Has anyone taken it off? How hard is it? I really don't want to bring it in again since it's now harder to reproduce. If I can remove it safely I can look at what was done and might be able to further improve it on my own.

Another option I suppose is to arrange mobile service but not sure if this is something they can address... especially with it being difficult to reproduce the problem.
Online...not as helpful as first hand comments but since your advice is that there’s this great thing called Google...

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
This sounds like the issues some people have been having coming apparently from an extra "future" speaker that is located behind the glove box. I think someone might have posted info about how to either tape over the speaker or disconnect it.

Try seeing if this thread is helpful: Mysterious static/hissing noise Maybe the video in Post #14 answers your question.

Last edited:
This sounds like the issues some people have been having coming apparently from an extra "future" speaker that is located behind the glove box. I think someone might have posted info about how to either tape over the speaker or disconnect it.

Try seeing if this thread is helpful: Mysterious static/hissing noise

No, this isn't noise being generated from a speaker. This is a mechanical rattling/buzzing noise that will stop if you push down on the dash pad when it is happening. Since it only does it over certain road surfaces at certain speeds and since the problem is less severe after Tesla tried to address it I'm 99% positive this is a part fitment mechanical problem and not something else.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
You have to listen to the RPM Tesla guy, but I think this is what you're looking for?

If you're talking about the larger dash section, then at least this will get you half way there, I think

I need to remove the dashboard "pad" that is above the piece that he removed. It is possible that if I remove the front trim piece that I can then access the pad or at least get a better idea of where it is connected to the main dashboard housing and vent system that it rides on top of.