Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone model Y with low range display??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, so I a model y performance with performance package. from day 1 my 100% range has always been 271 and now 264.

17.k miles driven.

my question is this, shouldn't my model y at 100% display around 306 miles range?? I understand I have some lost of range now at 17k which I should still expected to be around 300 or 290??

is anyone else having this issue?

Hi, I get what your saying about cold condition. But I have had this car seen March 2020. During the summer I didn't see a range increase also? or is it only the 306 range after the new update. This spring when weather is warmer I will see the new change?

It's just an estimate -- it isn't accurate and varies wildly depending on how you've been charging. My model 3 "range" changes almost daily. I find when I do a large charge-discharge cycle it will increase the range displayed (e.g. charge to 100% and discharge to 20% or thereabouts and then charge back up). It doesn't mean you actually have less range it just means the car isn't correctly reporting your range. For reference, my model 3 is about a year old with 18,000 miles on it. Claimed range when new was 250 miles and now says 228 when charged up to 100% -- that can go anywhere from 218-235 depending on how I've charged it in the previous week/month. There are other threads which discuss this -- something about the battery management system (BMS) being uncalibrated.

Reactions: Sixth
That number is an estimate based on how you drive, use and charge. If you have a heavy right foot, have the heat/AC on a lot, use sentry mode, and/or do not let the car drop down to say 20 percent before charging back up to say 90 percent, the estimated range numbers for you may not be ideal and match the quoted values. There is a lot, and I mean a lot of info on this, it has been discussed to death on these and other forums, you just need to do your homework and spend a few hours reading.

The only way to get those 306 numbers is to hyper mile it, not letting the AC/heat usage become a significant portion of your consumption, not using sentry mode, and letting the car get to a low state of charge (say 20 percent) before charging back up again (to say 90 percent) so the BMS can better estimate miles per charge and most likely report 306 if 100 percent charge on battery.

Or you can just ignore all of that and enjoy your car...

ok ok. I think you guys are missing my point on my question. I have been owner of model x seen 2016. I understand about range not being actual. What I am getting at is that when I charge to 100 shouldn't I see my display range closer to 300? I know I can't drive 300 miles or 306. But my display range has been less then 272 seen ownership. Is there any other Model Y performance with performance package owner out there int he northeast area seeing the same as mine?

• Disagree
Reactions: Jedibryan
for exsample. my 2016 model x at 100% charge show 223 from 237 when new. ( after 68k miles driven)
I know my model x can only go about 160-185 miles if I really test the miles driven

model y at 100% shows 264 from possible of 306 from the last update.

in my mind it should be some thing like this. @ 100% shows 287 (just throwing out a number)

My score from last week (or why I don't have range anxiety after driving up mountains).

Predicted range: 738 miles @ 48% SOC

model_y_range_mt_ham.jpg

Ok. not driving any miles at all. when charging is finish. we are not talking about driving range. Just how much range is display on your model Y when its charge to 100%. what that number???.

we don't care how much it display when it's driven or in up hill or down hill or in cold weather>>>>! just what the total amount display when done charging. Mine is currently showing 262 miles on 100% charge after 17K miles driven. I'm not getting past 270 even when I got it new.

new was suppose to show 286 and with new update should show 306.

There is so much misinformation in this and related range threads.

Folks in this thread and others who say your range changes with your driving style and ambient conditions are misinformed. Rated range is based upon the EPA efficiency estimate (Wh/mi) and the energy capacity of the battery. That is it. It is right in the owners manual and confirmed by Elon. Your driving style has no influence on this number, neither does the route you travel, or the ambient temperature.

For what it is worth, here is how my 100% range estimate has changed since I purchased my MY P back in August. I've lost ~8% capacity in ~6000 miles of driving. Yes the numbers fluctuate a bit but the trend is what matters.

FusionCharts (8).jpg

269 is what my vehicle shows at 100% SOC. (Best place for me to see this is in the app -> Charging -> move the slider to 100% charge to see what is displayed on the green battery in the lower-left corner).

You can see from the graph I've never seen above 290 miles range. I got zero bump in range after the update that supposedly increased the rated range from 290 to 306.

thank you. ok so for me from day 1 the max I was seeing was 274-276 at 100% charge. atm I'm only see 262 @ 100%.

I have spoken to some tesla tech and they explained to me that the Model y performance with the performance package has been a slip in the crack where the software update does not address this package. Atm on the website show 303 ( performance ). And I get that mine is not going to show 303, but I would expect mine to show like 290 or anything above 280. I'm just not understanding why I'm only see 262. which is very much way below.

Reactions: Bossdaddy
thank you. ok so for me from day 1 the max I was seeing was 274-276 at 100% charge. atm I'm only see 262 @ 100%.

I have spoken to some tesla tech and they explained to me that the Model y performance with the performance package has been a slip in the crack where the software update does not address this package. Atm on the website show 303 ( performance ). And I get that mine is not going to show 303, but I would expect mine to show like 290 or anything above 280. I'm just not understanding why I'm only see 262. which is very much way below.

I had a 2017 Model 3 LR RWD and I now have a 2020 Model Y LR. In both cars my range is lower than what it was when it was new and they both supposedly had a range software upgrade that changed nothing. For example, when new (last May), my Y had a range of 315 miles, it is now at 303 despite the software upgrade supposedly increasing the range to 326.

I had been charging between 60 and 80%, but I've changed it to between 20 and 80% and I'm waiting for a couple of months for a range recalibration. So far nothing.

BTW, I'm in the camp of people who believe that driving habits and weather have nothing to do with the range shown in the bar. It is just some factor times the state of charge times the battery capacity. (The range shown in the energy graph does reflect driving habits and weather.)

Reactions: djgarrett21
I had a 2017 Model 3 LR RWD and I now have a 2020 Model Y LR. In both cars my range is lower than what it was when it was new and they both supposedly had a range software upgrade that changed nothing. For example, when new (last May), my Y had a range of 315 miles, it is now at 303 despite the software upgrade supposedly increasing the range to 326.

I had been charging between 60 and 80%, but I've changed it to between 20 and 80% and I'm waiting for a couple of months for a range recalibration. So far nothing.

BTW, I'm in the camp of people who believe that driving habits and weather have nothing to do with the range shown in the bar. It is just some factor times the state of charge times the battery capacity. (The range shown in the energy graph does reflect driving habits and weather.)

I also came from a Model 3 (2018) and put about 40k on it before trading in for my Y. On that vehicle my max range started at 307 and ended at ~275 at the time of trade in. These batteries degrade, some vehicles more than others.

No matter what anyone believes about the max rated range, the fact remains that it has nothing to do with driving habits or conditions. From the owners manual:
"When fully charged, the driving range displayed in Tesla vehicles is based on EPA certification and does not account for your personal driving patterns or external conditions."