Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone model Y with low range display??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Below is what I shared in one of the many many many other threads regarding this topic.

Based on what I’ve read, and what I know about lithium battery chemistries, the reason for the fluctuations in full charge range estimates has to do with the BMS’s requirements in order to maintain an accurate calibration of the pack’s true capacity.

To summarize, the BMS needs the MY to sleep for several hours at various states of charge so the BMS has multiple sample points to then build an accurate estimate of the pack’s true capacity. What tends to happen is the user charges the pack to the same state of charge everyday, without allowing enough time at other SoC for a proper calibration. This applies to all Teslas, however, it is magnified in the M3 / MY due to the differences in how the BMS was designed to operate, for efficiency purposes.

From my understanding, this is all due to the discharge curve of most lithium chemistries being extremely flat in terms of voltage change, specifically between 20 and 80% SoC, when compared to pretty much anything else, such as lead acid. This characteristic makes it difficult to measure the MY’s available capacity, especially when ideal calibration conditions aren’t provided to the BMS.

Reactions: Big Earl and house9
I use % and don't charge to 100%.

People that use % don't stress-out like people that charge to 100% just so they can obsess about reported range.

Ok. not driving any miles at all. when charging is finish. we are not talking about driving range. Just how much range is display on your model Y when its charge to 100%. what that number???.

we don't care how much it display when it's driven or in up hill or down hill or in cold weather>>>>! just what the total amount display when done charging. Mine is currently showing 262 miles on 100% charge after 17K miles driven. I'm not getting past 270 even when I got it new.

new was suppose to show 286 and with new update should show 306.

Reactions: house9 and DanDi58
Ok. not driving any miles at all. when charging is finish. we are not talking about driving range. Just how much range is display on your model Y when its charge to 100%. what that number???.

we don't care how much it display when it's driven or in up hill or down hill or in cold weather>>>>! just what the total amount display when done charging. Mine is currently showing 262 miles on 100% charge after 17K miles driven. I'm not getting past 270 even when I got it new.

new was suppose to show 286 and with new update should show 306.

March 2020 built MYP with Performance Package, at 6K miles

For your comparison, see attached pictures taken today:

On 21” Überturbines vs 19” Geminis

21” Uberturbines current SoC and projected 100% SoC
73C6E75E-89D8-4102-B75F-3FF4B73F4C79.jpeg
9D31711E-F687-4C4E-957C-14E82B7A763E.jpeg

19” Geminis current SoC and 100% projected SoC
D80B7182-2BAA-4F5B-A164-339743D70356.jpeg
F31CCAE2-5398-47D2-A9C6-93BF045FB970.jpeg
65C5A0DC-1284-42D0-AE2B-733EDAFF9453.jpeg

Last edited:
If you want to make yourself feel better (if you have the Uberturbines), just switch your wheels in the menu to 19s (without actually switching the wheels)... you will get the range back (optically) - it wont affect anything as the wheels are 28", whether you are on 19s, 20s or 21s

Adding a late June, 2020 LR AWD with 19" Geminis (~4500 driven miles) data-point: 314 miles @ 100%

MY_battery_range.jpg

March 2020 built MYP with Performance Package, at 6K miles

For your comparison, see attached pictures taken today:

On 21” Überturbines vs 19” Geminis

21” Uberturbines current SoC and projected 100% SoC
View attachment 625132 View attachment 625133

19” Geminis current SoC and 100% projected SoC
View attachment 625134 View attachment 625135 View attachment 625136

• Informative
Reactions: ratsbew and RoBoRaT
Where are you looking at the range? The range displayed on the Battery icon if set to miles and not percentage the EPA range when fully charged. That means at 100% it will show the number Tesla puts on the website (or put there for the time your model was made.) The range displayed in the energy display is ALWAYS an estimate based on your most recent 5, 15, or 30 miles of driving. So no, you should not see 306 miles there. Only on the battery icon and only there when fully charged, which they don't recommend you do except as preparation for long trips.

Page 67 of the manual:
Range
The displayed range may decrease faster than the actual distance driven. When fully charged, the driving range displayed in Tesla vehicles is based on EPA certification and does not account for your personal driving patterns or external conditions. To view estimated range based on energy consumption, open the Energy app to display the graph. As with all vehicles, the actual range achievable by Model Y heavily depends on driving behaviors and environmental conditions.

314 is great. My June LR MY numbers should make you feel great. My max range is ~297 if I felt like charging to 100% to calibrate it; my charge is maxing out at 99% at the moment. I'm hoping it goes back up some when it gets warmer.
20210114_082928.jpg
20210114_083248.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mark95476
False. It is based on the EPA multiplier applied to your current usable kWh. It will decrease over time as the battery degrades. My 2020 M3 SR+ has never shown 250 miles at 100%. 245 when I picked up from Tesla with 1500 miles on it (test drive car). Now down to 240 after almost a year.
You just said the same thing as the manual, just more clearly. So not false. Just not as clear.

You just said the same thing as the manual, just more clearly. So not false. Just not as clear.

No, read what you wrote again. You said at 100% it will show what Tesla puts on the website. That number does not change. For a LRY that is 326 miles. The 100% charge number in your car will change over time. Usually lower unless Tesla releases battery capacity or updates the multiplier but other than at 0 miles, it is highly unlikely it will read the same number as the website once you start driving and charging.

if what you said is true, the picture above showing 295 is faked. There are 100s of thousands of Tesla owners who will dispute your claim of 100% charge always showing the EPA range.

No, read what you wrote again. You said at 100% it will show what Tesla puts on the website. That number does not change. For a LRY that is 326 miles. The 100% charge number in your car will change over time. Usually lower unless Tesla releases battery capacity or updates the multiplier but other than at 0 miles, it is highly unlikely it will read the same number as the website once you start driving and charging.

if what you said is true, the picture above showing 295 is faked. There are 100s of thousands of Tesla owners who will dispute your claim of 100% charge always showing the EPA range.
I should have said that it will show the same number as the website when the battery is at design capacity (which it will be only for a brief time after the car is made) and charged to 100%. I started that post off one way, then changed what I was saying after thinking about it a bit, but apparently my brain didn't fully signal my fingers on the keyboard to clean up parts of what I had already typed.

ok ok. I think you guys are missing my point on my question. I have been owner of model x seen 2016. I understand about range not being actual. What I am getting at is that when I charge to 100 shouldn't I see my display range closer to 300? I know I can't drive 300 miles or 306. But my display range has been less then 272 seen ownership. Is there any other Model Y performance with performance package owner out there int he northeast area seeing the same as mine?
I have had the same issue....I only get 258 on a full charge basically from 3 months after I got the car, if I drve 55 to 65 on a 75 degree day with no AC,,,you know perfect conditions then I can get 220 miles of range it is ridiculous to me...
If the next charge station is 200 miles away I can't make it on freeway driving.
I avrage 316 Wh/mi
I think they need to replace the way they advertise range, model y performance should be more like 250
I cant even get 250 if I try in perfect conditions