Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone not getting Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to get an idea on how many people do not plan on getting Enhanced Auto Pilot when they get their Model 3. I have been going back and forth on this. Sometimes I think I want to get it now and other times I think that I should just save my money. My wife and I do not do a lot of long drives and I know this is where many people who have autopilot is best served. Also, I was really wanting the pre-collision mitigation and from what I understand, this will come standard on the car.

Wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks!

I'm not getting it on my car, but only because it will mostly be an around town car and we have no traffic to speak of. My wife's car will have EAP/FSD so that's the car we'll take on trips. If I only had one Tesla I'd definitely get EAP.

...pre-collision mitigation...standard...

Tesla Automatic Emergency Braking is not the same as what you see from other companies' TV advertisements that can brake to a halt to avoid a collision.

It does not brake to a halt. Its goal is to decrease the force of collision and NOT to avoid collision.

If you want to avoid collision in Tesla, you might want Autopilot. Its goal is to AVOID collisions.

So please do understand what you are paying for in Tesla!

Tesla Automatic Emergency Braking is not the same as what you see from other companies' TV advertisements that can brake to a halt to avoid a collision.

It does not brake to a halt. Its goal is to decrease the force of collision and NOT to avoid collision.

If you want to avoid collision in Tesla, you might want Autopilot. Its goal is to AVOID collisions.
Really? Don't take offense, but can anyone else corroborate this? It will influence my decision in this matter.

I'm pretty sure other companies TV advertisements are misleading. Generally if you read manuals all car companies say the same thing as Tesla. Certainly my wife's Honda has the same sort of language about emergency braking.

This is not my understanding. I know on Model 3, Elon stated that auto pilot safety features would be standard. I also know he has a passion for safety.

I would be very surprised if your interpretation is correct. Do you have any supporting evidence?

I think the way you put it is a quite misleading. As far as I can tell, when AP is not activated there is no difference in how the AEB (Automatic Emergency Braking) and FCW (Front Collision Warning) works no matter if you opt to buy AP/EAP or not.

That Tesla's design for AEB is to decrease force of collision instead of prevent, is an entirely different matter.
For details on that and FCW I encourage people to read the Model S manual page 85-87:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf

Last edited:
...Really?...

Read it for yourself from Model S Owner manual:

jDphlu1.jpg

It also gives you an example in case you still don't believe its design:

Your car is running at 56 mph (90 km/h), the system would automatically brake to slow down to a speed of 31 mph (50 km/h), and at that point, it has achieved its objective, it would no longer brake for you. It would allow a softer collision instead of 56 mph but now 31 mph.

jDphlu1.jpg

Your car is running at 56 mph (90 km/h), the system would automatically brake to slow down to a speed of 31 mph (50 km/h), and at that point, it has achieved its objective, it would no longer brake for you. It would allow a softer collision instead of 56 mph but now 31 mph.
Yes but do you have any other evidence? Maybe a letter signed by Elon Musk? But be prepared to prove that it is really signed by him.

jDphlu1.jpg

Yes, I believe its design, it's the same as every other car manufacturer's design.

Here's what Mercedes says:
And should the driver fail to respond, the system can apply full braking on its own, serving as an "electronic crumple zone" to help reduce the intensity of a collision.

Here's what Audi says:
at speeds up to 85 km/h (52.8 mph) it can reduce the speed at impact and thereby reduce accident severity significantly.

Here's what Toyota says:
If you don’t brake in time, PCS may automatically apply the brakes for you, helping to minimize the likelihood of a frontal collision or reduce its severity.

Everybody has an opinion and everybody has specific needs. When you get your M3, you 've already paid for autopilot because the car comes with it whether you want it or not. You just haven't activated the software and that's what you are paying for. So if you develop a need for EAP after you get your car you can shell the money out then.

You have a Tesla store in the Pittsburgh area (412) 318-6078, give them a call or go talk to them and ask them about automatic breaking and collision avoidance. Most stores are hush hush about any info on the 3, but they can explain the functionality of these features on the S and X.

I'd maybe buy it for $1k. $5k? Forget about it. Iceland is a terrible environment for EAP. That particular combination of "situations that make things hard for EAP" and "mistakes will kill you". And I'm not sure how much I'd trust it even in good conditions anyway.

BTW, if you really wanted to assess interest, you should have posted a poll :)

Wow...DID NOT KNOW THIS! Googled and found some vids...seems other manufactures have better autonomous braking systems...hmmm..thinking twice about Tesla safety..geez: