Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone not getting Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good post Sawyer8888 -
In the current state of development, I am hesitant to commit the life of my family to a painted strip on the road.
I don't know if it is low budget, heavy traffic; poor paint quality; or being bleached by the hot sun .... but in the mountain west, the stripes are most often worn, difficult to see, covered with snow in the winter, and in the rain .... almost impossible to see.
Many times the stripes do not follow the concrete construction joints, especially where the road has been enlarged.

Do not retort that a driver should not use EAP in those conditions. I know that .... and wouldn't.
But how often have we been in a snow storm, poor visibility, slippery roads, slowing traffic .... and a motorist passed at a speed much faster than prudent under the circumstances? Virtually EVERY time I get on the Interstate.

Using EAP in a construction zone is definitely not wise, especially if there are active workers and reduced speed limits posted. This is just another example of EAPs current limitations. Although IMO (I always have to preface with an "IMO" if I think I may be going out on a limb) the system should be able to differentiate between lane lines that have recently been removed and actual, very clear lane lines - construction zone or not.

Here in Nevada (The Construction State; state animal: barrier horse, state bird: middle finger) there are often multiple removed lane lines on the highway, plus temporary lines that have been driven over so much that they are scarcely identifiable even by a highly observant driver. There are some areas where the removed lines are actually more visible than the painted ones, due to the angle of the sun at some times of day. Sometimes the only reason I can stay in the lane is because I've driven it so many times, or because I am sticking close to the temporary barrier on one side where I can see the edge line, as the lines between two lanes are barely there at all.

I look forward to our self-driving future, but I think it will be a very long time before it can be engaged in all circumstances. Our roads just aren't up to the quality needed to eliminate judgement calls when driving.

Last edited:
Aren't construction zones posted on some publicly-accessible database / website / whatever? Google seems to know about them. Why couldn't Tesla access the same, and either disable or modify AP's behavior when driving in one?

Tesla Automatic Emergency Braking is not the same as what you see from other companies' TV advertisements that can brake to a halt to avoid a collision.

It does not brake to a halt. Its goal is to decrease the force of collision and NOT to avoid collision.

If you want to avoid collision in Tesla, you might want Autopilot. Its goal is to AVOID collisions.

So please do understand what you are paying for in Tesla!
Good info Tam..... that really decreases the value of EAP.

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing
What promised features of enhanced autopilot aren’t currently available?
Here's all the features according to the autopilot page:
"Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage."

I would say this part is still missing:
"automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near"

Related are the rain-sensing wipers still missing (although not really part of EAP), but I can't find any more reference to them on the website.

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
I've been going back and forth on this.....As of right now, I think I'm going to pass on EAP out of the gate. I know they are different prices, but I can really only afford doing EAP --OR-- Long Range. I think I'm going to take my EAP money, and get LR instead. I'm a day 1 line-waiter, so it should get me the car a little quicker. I figure for the first year or so, I'll be absolutely stoked to be driving it, and EAP won't be missed. But once the newness wears off a year down the road, I can pay the $6K (or whatever the cost is down the road) and add an awesome feature that makes everything exciting again.

That's what I'm thinking today at least, I might flip-flop later in the week.

Do you get full self driving capability? When does full self driving start?
Yes. No one knows about FSD. Actually no one knows when EAP will be fully implemented. However, I am ok with small improvements on either or both. I am purchasing the car and expect to keep a long time. Currently driving 2003 Lexus SC430 with 70K miles (not selling it for now). Sold my 1985 corvette in 2003 with about the same number of miles.

Yes. No one knows about FSD. Actually no one knows when EAP will be fully implemented. However, I am ok with small improvements on either or both. I am purchasing the car and expect to keep a long time. Currently driving 2003 Lexus SC430 with 70K miles (not selling it for now). Sold my 1985 corvette in 2003 with about the same number of miles.

Oooh you've got me beat in the low-mileage game. My 05 Cadillac XLR is at 62,000 miles. Selling it once I'm within a month of delivery though (confirmed delivery once my order is in and they've taken another $2500 off me, not this ethereal "delivery estimate" BS).

Using EAP in a construction zone is definitely not wise, especially if there are active workers and reduced speed limits posted. This is just another example of EAPs current limitations. Although IMO (I always have to preface with an "IMO" if I think I may be going out on a limb) the system should be able to differentiate between lane lines that have recently been removed and actual, very clear lane lines - construction zone or not.

The lack of consistency with EAP is one of the issues. It is unpredictable.

The following video was taken this afternoon. It shows EAP doing a good job with lane lines that were scrapped off the road, as it does most of the time - recently had an issue though. However this time the computer decides it's best to pull off onto the shoulder instead of staying in the lane due to the contrast of old and new lanes - which is the primary factor here. I had to disengage and steer back onto the road.

This is not a surprise, so please don't reply with something like, "You should know it can't handle that." The problem is that this is the first time my car pulled off the road in the 5 months that I have been using EAP at this exact spot with the same contrasting lanes. I'm actually a little surprised it has been doing so well here.

Note the construction barriers. Once again, it's probably best to turn EAP off prior to any construction zone, including in areas that have potentially confusing lanes.

This is more of a warning if you purchase EAP. Remember to be careful and remain attentive. I really should be doing a better job of knowing when to turn it off myself instead of pushing my luck.