Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone not getting Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow...DID NOT KNOW THIS! Googled and found some vids...seems other manufactures have better autonomous braking systems...hmmm..thinking twice about Tesla safety..geez:

The only car in the videos posted that did not use a proper test target was the Tesla. We had a discussion about this a while back when that video was posted. Worth reminding people that a cardboard box is not a proper test target.
Here's a link for how the Euro NCAP AEB test target (also used by IIHS) was designed:
http://euroncap.blob.core.windows.n...13-0-4e8e68e0-7487-4b23-a3d6-aac700080661.pdf

This is how the test target looks relative to the actual vehicle.
View attachment 228798View attachment 228799
Under the cover, there is foil to simulate the radar signature of a car:
View attachment 228800

This is the NCAP pedestrian test target:
mqdefault.jpg

AEB Pedestrian | Euro NCAP

A cardboard box is not going to cut it as a test target.

Here's a spy shot of Tesla doing similar testing with a Model S with a proper test target:

Last edited:
Wow...DID NOT KNOW THIS! Googled and found some vids...seems other manufactures have better autonomous braking systems...hmmm..thinking twice about Tesla safety..geez:

I think you overestimate the effectiveness of these systems. The Volvo system says: "The auto brake function can only reduce the collision speed. The driver must depress the brake pedal to achieve full brake function".

Tesla Automatic Emergency Braking is not the same as what you see from other companies' TV advertisements that can brake to a halt to avoid a collision.

It does not brake to a halt. Its goal is to decrease the force of collision and NOT to avoid collision.

If you want to avoid collision in Tesla, you might want Autopilot. Its goal is to AVOID collisions.

So please do understand what you are paying for in Tesla!
Don't believe everything you see in TV commercials either...

I'm looking forward to actually driving my Model 3. If I wanted to spend a lot of money to be chauffeured around I would just hire a driver for my current car.

If it's anything like mS, you going to love it. I've test drive mS on and off autopilot. It's really exciting to drive the car and I purposefully disabled autopilot so I can enjoy the drive. As soon as the road started to get congested, autopilot was back on.

I'm about 99% certain I am not getting EAP for basically the same reasons I'm not getting the LR battery. Like some others have mentioned, I do mainly city driving and would be paying a large sum of money for something that I would only be using a small percentage of the time on longer drives or full-fledged road trips. If I had a bigger budget I would consider it more seriously. Right now if I had to choose between PUP and EAP or LR I would choose the PUP option first because the creature comforts in the PUP are things I could enjoy almost every time I use the car. Of course others who use the car differently may have different priorities in regards to the available options packages.

I have also been going back and forth on the EAP.

I can debate myself all day about how much I might or might not use EAP...but I just hate to think of finally getting my Tesla after all this time and it doesn't have EAP. I would be another person who wouldn't second guess this for a second at $3000 or even $3500...but at $5000 it just hurts more when added on top.

You're buying a greater chance for an accident there as long as it's erratic (and we will never know when it isn't).

I'll take a greater chance of an accident (and I don't believe that to be true anyway) over the increasing chance that I snap and go on a murder spree in hellish traffic every day. I'm sick of it.

It will be an ENORMOUS quality of life improvement for me, based on my extended test drive where I got to use it for my commute for a few days.

Not buying autopilot at all. Don't need it, don't trust it, and too damn expensive..

If, after some time, Tesla offers us deals where we can try full autopilot for a month for $100 or so, I will do that. Being an OTA update, it'd be easy to turn it on and then off after a month. Then Tesla gets money for an option not ordered with the car when new.

There is only one situation that causes me stress in my daily commute, and it's the one where I have to cut across five lanes of heavy freeway traffic in under half a mile to make my exit. When cars can do this with my eyes closed, I'll be interested. Until then, I'll pass.