Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone not getting Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with most in this thread that 5k is steep for EAP and I do believe that it will be discounted in the future because there is just too much profit to be had from TM3 owners who did not buy EAP at original purchase. (search my past comments on this topic). I would wager a high percentage of those who opted to not buy EAP did so because of the price tag, and with no future plans to purchase at $5k.So, hardware is already on the car and tesla can sell EAP for essentially 100% profit at whatever price point the masses will bear.

I recently purchased a kid-hauler with ACC with stop-and-go capability. It made a HUGE difference in my driving stamina on a recent road trip. Still not worth $5k IMO. The feature was bundled with a bunch of other stuff that added $3k. I'd buy TACC on the TM3 at $1k or so. EAP at $2-3k.

I agree with most in this thread that 5k is steep for EAP and I do believe that it will be discounted in the future because there is just too much profit to be had from TM3 owners who did not buy EAP at original purchase. (search my past comments on this topic). I would wager a high percentage of those who opted to not buy EAP did so because of the price tag, and with no future plans to purchase at $5k.So, hardware is already on the car and tesla can sell EAP for essentially 100% profit at whatever price point the masses will bear.

I recently purchased a kid-hauler with ACC with stop-and-go capability. It made a HUGE difference in my driving stamina on a recent road trip. Still not worth $5k IMO. The feature was bundled with a bunch of other stuff that added $3k. I'd buy TACC on the TM3 at $1k or so. EAP at $2-3k.

I could see them lowering the price once the next version of autopilot comes out, or maybe after 6-7 years? Otherwise it's pretty much guaranteed to cost more later, especially if FSD ever actually comes out. Otherwise there will be many upset customers who were duped into purchasing it with their cars to get it at cheaper rate.

I could see them lowering the price once the next version of autopilot comes out, or maybe after 6-7 years? Otherwise it's pretty much guaranteed to cost more later, especially if FSD ever actually comes out. Otherwise there will be many upset customers who were duped into purchasing it with their cars to get it at cheaper rate.
Tesla is not going to screw the people that bought EAP/FSD by offering the identical product for less in the future, but I expect the product to diversify. E.g. TACC only, EAP lite, etc. The sooner EAP/FSD matures, the sooner Tesla can sell a menu of AP services.

I did not order EAP. I can't see my wife or I ever using it. I never use normal cruise control, and even when driving cars with "active" cruise or lane keep that steers, I turn it off after awhile. I just like to drive.

BUT, I want everyone else to get it, bc most people (not on here), don't remember the rules of the road.

i have no intention of buying EAP at it's current price point. If they ever decide to reduce it down the road tosomething a little more reasonable I might consider adding it on to my 3 but I don't do a lot of highway driving so I really don't see any reason for using it.

Reactions: JGard
I did not order EAP. I can't see my wife or I ever using it. I never use normal cruise control, and even when driving cars with "active" cruise or lane keep that steers, I turn it off after awhile. I just like to drive.

BUT, I want everyone else to get it, bc most people (not on here), don't remember the rules of the road.
+1. That's my take on it as well.

Reactions: Snow Drift
We didn't configure with the enhanced autopilot, either. We're disinclined to put our safety in the hands of software at this point, and the notion that you have to stay alert enough while simultaneously releasing moment-to-moment control strikes me as something of an irresolvable contradiction. If you don't give me something to do constantly my attention will wander. We've seen how that can be fatal.

No, the fact that I can be a late adopter if I change my mind is enough, even though it involves paying a financial premium for my lack of faith. I wouldn't be surprised if we wait until the vehicle that replaces our Model 3 to finally jump in.

I look forward to the future when people are forced to have self driving in their car, to compensate for their attributional bias that they are ‘good drivers’, selectively forgetting their many moments of driving inattention.

I'd recommend folks see if they can try out EAP before making a decision. EAP is actually one of the primary reasons why I purchased a Tesla. In stop and go traffic, EAP really makes my commute less stressful and feels like I can relax. My hands are always still on the wheel and I am focused, but not actually having to stop and brake yourself when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic is such a nice feature and it has been getting better and better with each update.

Reactions: NeverFollow