Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone NOT have a Sun/Glass roof? And...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm still waiting on my order...should get the car (CPO) any day now...hopefully!

Mine does NOT have a sun/glass roof, as I live in Palm Springs where I fight glass roofs most of the year.

But, curious how you all feel about NOT having a sun/glass roof in this car, if you don't. Does it affect your overall experience of what makes driving and sitting in this car so cool? I test drove a model with the roof, but ordered without.

Thank you!

Solid roof here; it was my preference to not have the pano roof. I am affected more than average by sunlight in terms of brightness and heat, so I am always trying to get out of the sun. Also the pano roof is another point of failure with relatively high risk and expense, so I'd rather just not deal with it.

I have a solid metal (body colored) roof on my S85D. Never had a sunroof in any car I've ever owned and don't miss it. (I grew up in a pretty hot and sunny climate and just learned to be averse to sunroofs and dark-colored cars.)

Enjoy your soon-to-be CPO car!

Bruce.

Hopefully you already know this but, its worth noting that without the roof you have less headroom in the car for front and rear seats and no sat radio. Think thats the only drawbacks of the solid roof.

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah
Hopefully you already know this but, its worth noting that without the roof you have less headroom in the car for front and rear seats and no sat radio. Think thats the only drawbacks of the solid roof.

One more is no mounting points for a roof rack. Not an issue for me but it might be important for some folks.

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tech_Guy
Hi all,

I'm still waiting on my order...should get the car (CPO) any day now...hopefully!

Mine does NOT have a sun/glass roof, as I live in Palm Springs where I fight glass roofs most of the year.

But, curious how you all feel about NOT having a sun/glass roof in this car, if you don't. Does it affect your overall experience of what makes driving and sitting in this car so cool? I test drove a model with the roof, but ordered without.

Thank you!

I have had 3 Model Ss, none with pano or glass roof. Did not miss anything big, although the view out of the back seats with pano at night was pretty cool- just a matter of preference and pros and cons.

I had a Model S85D with a solid roof and when I traded it in on a S90D AP2 car, I also ordered the solid roof. If Tesla had offered a metal roof with a sunroof that allowed it to be covered with a headliner slider that covered the glass, I might have bought it.

I live in Texas where it get up to 105 degrees in the summer time. Having a glass roof transmits more heat and cold into the car which causes you to have less range in the summer and winter. I would have never bought the Tesla with the Pano or Glass roof. I guess that limits me on being able to get a new Tesla in the future.

I like my solid roof. One of my friends calls my car the rolling coffin, after she sat in the back seat, during her first ride. Obviously the glass roof would be great for rear passengers, but while I'm driving I like the interior as dark as possible. I also think the solid roof makes the interior quieter and has better acoustics while listening to music. If I was to order my car again the only thing I would do differently is get the cold weather package. The heated steering wheel is awesome.

My Model S has the body colored metal roof, but I've had a bunch of loaners with the pano roof and I've found that the pano roof doesn't make the inside of the car meaningfully hotter (and it gets hot in the Palmdale/Lancaster/Mojave area)... however, the pano roof is noticably colder in the winter. I mostly went for the solid roof because I didn't want to deal with the extra failure points the pano roof introduces (there were a lot more problems with leaking years ago). Had the solid glass roof been available when I ordered back in 2015, I probably would have gone with that.

I also have a solid roof on my CPO. I wanted to avoid any potential problems with leaking and/or wind noise. Had a 24 hour loaner with pano roof. Opened it once for he novelty and then forgot about it. Heat transfer was noticeable after only a couple hours outside.

Keep in mind the pano roof starts behind the drivers head so it really is a feature enjoyed by passengers less so the driver.