TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone not like the Tesla 22" wheels after getting them?

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Pandamoanium, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

Just curious to know how many people have their Model X with the factory 22" and have opted to switch them out. I got the 20" and am now thinking I might get the factory ones once the weather changes.

2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

This is not scientific, but going from my gut feeling and memory, most people typically go from 22" to 20" (and not the other way around). Main reason is range and concern about rim damage.

3. chrisnavline54

l love the 22" wheels but decided against them at the last minute. l plan on coating my 20" wheels, that way l get the best of both worlds- Range as well as looks!

4. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

I recall them doing that for the winter, and it's something I typically do also. Just haven't heard anyone really complain about the factory 22" wheels. I've been looking and shopping around for some but really like the OEM ones.

5. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

I thought about this option, low cost for sure but if I decide to trade the car in to Tesla, they will not accept it due to it having aftermarket upgrades which are not easily undone.

6. chrisnavline54

l can't find the thread but someone else coated the wheels in a temporary finish. still very hardwearing but when ready to trade in at a later date, you can just peel of the coating....

looks amazing, professional and you can't even tell the difference between temporary coating and actual powder coating.

super easy :)

7. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I would suggest that anyone who wants larger wheels buy something other than Tesla OEM. For the same (or even less) money you can get something much lighter that won't hit your range quite so hard. Seriously. I just took my 22's off to put some 20" wheels with snow tires. I can hardly lift my 22" wheels, and the bike scale I tried to measure them with tops out at about 50 lbs. and they are well over that. It's partly the size but they're also really f'in heavy. I'm not yoked by any means but I'm not out of shape either.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

I've been looking around and waiting to hear back from Tesla. A lot of aftermarket wheels made specifically for the Tesla market are very pricey. Basically 10K for a set and tires...

9. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Try shopping for some not made and marketed to Tesla owners?

10. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

Ones of comparable quality are about the same.

11. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

True enough. There are performance upgrades to be had at prices better than what are marketed directly at us though.

12. dayhu99

dayhu99 Member

I have just put on oem 19'" winter tires in place of the 20" I think the car is much quieter and smoother riding I am not a high speed driver so come the spring I will seriously think about using 19" all weather tires on a permanent basis

13. Tsportline

Tsportline Vendor

• Like x 1
  14. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

A little perspective here. I just got a set of 20" TSW Interalgos in Matte Black and some Nokian WRG3 SUV tires for $3060 from Discount tire. No, I can't use the Tesla hub cap, or the lug nuts. Same price for the Tsportline 20" Matte Black with the Pirelli winter tire is $3900 less the current $500 discount (which I thought had expired when I ordered my wheels and tires) makes $3400.

So, yeah, I had to do some of my own leg work but I ended up saving what I thought would be close to $900 but only turned out to be $340. I also got some wheels that look a bit different than the turbine 22's. :p:cool:;)

15. balefire

balefire Member

What size Nokian tires did you get

16. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I got the same size as some of the tires being delivered on the stock 20" wheels. 265/45R20 fronts and 275/45R20 rears.

17. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

Can you post pictures?

18. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I thought I had somewhere. I can't find it though. Sorry I don't have any outside or clean as it's been pretty wintery around here lately and I haven't bothered washing it. I've also added some black lug nuts and am waiting on backordered black hub caps.

IMG_6238.jpg IMG_6239.jpg

• Like x 1
  19. jleonar1

jleonar1 Member

What is the rim weight on these compared to factory 20?

20. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

Thank you!