Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone not like the Tesla 22" wheels after getting them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have the wheel weights of the oem 22? with or without tires?

Thanks to Tsportline for the guide ... :cool: Here's what we have gathered so far about 22" wheels for the Model X. . .
  • Factory 22x9.0" turbine: Weight - 38lbs
  • Factory 22x10.0" turbine: Weight - 40lbs
  • T Sportline TS5 22x9.0" forged monoblock wheel: Weight - 38lbs
  • T Sportline TS5 22x10.0" forged monoblock wheel: Weight - 38.6lbs
The Tesla Model S Wheel Guide - Tsportline
The Tesla Model X Wheel Guide - TSportline.com - Tesla Model S & Model X Accessories

I'm very happy with mine but it's only been a week of ownership

Attachments

• IMG_1704.JPG
    IMG_1704.JPG
    412.2 KB · Views: 353
  • Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
Just curious to know how many people have their Model X with the factory 22" and have opted to switch them out. I got the 20" and am now thinking I might get the factory ones once the weather changes.

Take a look at Unplugged Performance UP02's. They have them in 20 and 22 weight less than stock wheels and come in various finishes.

We are going with a set of 20" on our p100d for range and wheel protection reasons.

I just bought a set of 22" from Tsportline and they are 10% lighter than my 20" factory and 26% lighter than the factory 22". I will have them installed late next week and report back. Since I need the range in my p100d model x the factory 22" were not an option for me.

I will point out that Tsportline has the wheels in stock while unplugged take 8 weeks for delivery.

Take a look at Unplugged Performance UP02's. They have them in 20 and 22 weight less than stock wheels and come in various finishes.

We are going with a set of 20" on our p100d for range and wheel protection reasons.

• Helpful
Interesting. Why does Tesla advertise the range loss if it doesn't exist? I have the larger wheels on my P85DL but range was never a consideration and I'm the only one driving it so wasn't worried about wheel damage from someone not paying attention.
I'm sure the math and testing showed it. Could also be Tesla being proactive and avoiding the owners up in arms. For a daily commute though it might not really matter, people might just be paranoid about those extra miles.

I'm sure the math and testing showed it. Could also be Tesla being proactive and avoiding the owners up in arms. For a daily commute though it might not really matter, people might just be paranoid about those extra miles.
I agree. From my cursory observation it seems negligible. I love the look of the 22" black wheels on the X and how they fill the wheel arches....whether going through Tesla or an aftermarket.

I'm not disputing what some you folks are referring to regarding a "negligible" difference between the 20" and 22" wheels but others have observed what Tesla has warned, that being a 10% - 15% reduction in range with the 22's.

@Pandamoanium - Please find the post and link it.

Edit: I've been tracking what folks are reporting in the Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker thread. So far the 20" wheel average is 350 Wh/m and the 22" wheel average is 393 Wh/m. Granted, I have far fewer folks with 22's reporting than I do folks with 20's. Personally my average with the 22's was about 418 before winter really hit (since end of June and over about 5000 miles). I have also since put on some 20's (as I've posted about in this thread). I have only about 400 miles on them so far so their just getting broken in. I zeroed out a trip meter when I swapped so I'll report back once I get some more miles on them. Hence why I'm really skeptical of folks who say they see a negligible difference. o_O;)

Last edited:
I ducked all the well-intended TMC mileage & noise flak, and ordered S21s and X 22s - because I like the look and handling. I also looked at some very good looking, less heavy after-markets but really love the [all too common but thats ok] turbines.

What I did not consider though was roadside assistance. Fast forward........ I hit a sizeable sinkhole on a newly paved parkway and within 30 seconds, zero pressure registered in the FR and RR tires.:eek: Roadside arrived, swapped-in 2 loaner wheels (staggered) and had me on my way in minutes. I stopped by the SvC a week later and they swapped-out the loaners but told me if I had after-markets, I would have been flatbedded somewhere on that late Sunday afternoon.

As a frequent, late night, long distance driver, reliable roadside is more important to me than saving a few miles or bucks with after-markets. While being flatbedded is defintely better than being stranded, roadside access to OEM wheels is far preferable to me. I lucked out and thankfully didn't learn this lesson the hard way....other than the crazy cost of replacing two spanking new tires. :mad:

I ducked all the well-intended TMC mileage & noise flak, and ordered S21s and X 22s - because I like the look and handling. I also looked at some very good looking, less heavy after-markets but really love the [all too common but thats ok] turbines.

What I did not consider though was roadside assistance. Fast forward........ I hit a sizeable sinkhole on a newly paved parkway and within 30 seconds, zero pressure registered in the FR and RR tires.:eek: Roadside arrived, swapped-in 2 loaner wheels (staggered) and had me on my way in minutes. I stopped by the SvC a week later and they swapped-out the loaners but told me if I had after-markets, I would have been flatbedded somewhere on that late Sunday afternoon.

As a frequent, late night, long distance driver, reliable roadside is more important to me than saving a few miles or bucks with after-markets. While being flatbedded is defintely better than being stranded, roadside access to OEM wheels is far preferable to me. I lucked out and thankfully didn't learn this lesson the hard way....other than the crazy cost of replacing two spanking new tires. :mad:
Good info. Overall im glad I went with the 22 black turbines. They look oh so good!! Another shameless pic of my baby.

Attachments

• IMG_1702.JPG
    IMG_1702.JPG
    578.7 KB · Views: 328
I'm not disputing what some you folks are referring to regarding a "negligible" difference between the 20" and 22" wheels but others have observed what Tesla has warned, that being a 10% - 15% reduction in range with the 22's.

@Pandamoanium - Please find the post and link it.

Edit: I've been tracking what folks are reporting in the Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker thread. So far the 20" wheel average is 350 Wh/m and the 22" wheel average is 393 Wh/m. Granted, I have far fewer folks with 22's reporting than I do folks with 20's. Personally my average with the 22's was about 418 before winter really hit (since end of June and over about 5000 miles). I have also since put on some 20's (as I've posted about in this thread). I have only about 400 miles on them so far so their just getting broken in. I zeroed out a trip meter when I swapped so I'll report back once I get some more miles on them. Hence why I'm really skeptical of folks who say they see a negligible difference. o_O;)
It wasn't a post with numbers. Just someone keeping track of their daily charge. So from unplugging in the morning to the end of the night. I recall a couple of posts saying it was very minimal. People will do what they think is best, but like some people above, keeping close to factory can result in less head aches. I've been averaging around 320-350 for my city driving and only 400+ when I'm cranking the heat for my kids. Aside from that, I'll average the same 320-350 regardless of it being cold, which is kind of strange.

It wasn't a post with numbers. Just someone keeping track of their daily charge. So from unplugging in the morning to the end of the night. I recall a couple of posts saying it was very minimal. People will do what they think is best, but like some people above, keeping close to factory can result in less head aches. I've been averaging around 320-350 for my city driving and only 400+ when I'm cranking the heat for my kids. Aside from that, I'll average the same 320-350 regardless of it being cold, which is kind of strange.

Here is the original Tesla post with specific percentage numbers for the estimated range reduction factor...:cool:
I went with aftermarket lightweight forged wheels and have experienced an average 3% range improvement.

Model X range.PNG