Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone not like the Tesla 22" wheels after getting them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are my powder coated rims.

Before and after:
y4exequ.jpg

Final job:
bpElB5v.jpg

Ignoring the range, how is the comfort of driving with 22" Onyx wheels?

Noticeably harsher. You feel every jolt, every expansion joint, and every bridge transition MUCH more than you do with 20" wheels. They also have much more road noise because of the different tires they come with. Looks are the ONLY reason to get 22's, and I prefer the looks of them myself. Sure, handling will be slightly better, but I seriously doubt many people are taking their MX to the track where it would make a difference.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
I got a loaner with 22" rims while my MX with 20" rims was in the shop and honestly the only advantage the 22" provided was aesthetics. They were loud (road noise), bumpy (harsh ride), had reduced traction on wet surfaces and reduced range. I was sooooo happy to get my MX with 20" rims back. :cool:
did the loaner have less ghosting on the windshield?

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Cowby and NikeWings
Noticeably harsher. You feel every jolt, every expansion joint, and every bridge transition MUCH more than you do with 20" wheels. They also have much more road noise because of the different tires they come with. Looks are the ONLY reason to get 22's, and I prefer the looks of them myself. Sure, handling will be slightly better, but I seriously doubt many people are taking their MX to the track where it would make a difference.

eh.... i disagree.

i'm coming from a Model S P85D with 21" turbines. i test drove a Model X P90D with 22" turbines, and it was FAR softer and more forgiving ride quality than my S.

now, the 20" might be even more soft of a ride, but the 22's were very comfortable in my opinion.

Model X loaners do exist. I got one two weeks ago when they had my Model X in for service.
I didn't say they didn't exist. Heck, I've had one myself. He made an observation about the 21" wheels on his X loaner. Then in another post said something about an S loaner. Model X's don't come with 21" wheels. They come with 20" or 22" wheels. I was trying to figure out if he had an X loaner or an S loaner since he mentioned both. :rolleyes::p;)

Reactions: Vitaman