TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone Notice a Random Steering Vibrate?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Eddyrelik, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Eddyrelik

Eddyrelik Member

So I’ve notice on my M3 that there’s a random steering wheel vibrate, often when accelerating or decelerating between 35-50 mph. It almost feels like those cars that have the steering wheel warning when you’re going over a lane, or even feels like driving over a bunch of small bumps....it always lasts a few seconds, then stops completely...

It’s so consistent that it almost seems on purpose. Not like an alignment or brake issue where it’s different depending on speed or anything else.

Anyone else notice this?

• Like x 1
  2. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

You sure it isn't lane keeping assist?

• Like x 1
  3. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

Indeed, that's a description of lane keeping assist. Sure you're not going over a lane?

Perhaps it's mistriggering for some reason? If so, file a bug report or raise the issue at service.

• Funny x 1
  4. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

I find the LKA triggers more at lower speeds in town rather than on highway as one would hope/expect. In the end I turned it off.

5. Kurt'sX

Kurt'sX Member

Model X owners have been experiencing a vibration upon acceleration for some time. It happens at about 30MPH and disappears at higher speeds. Solutions from Tesla havent proven to solve the problem and many owners have had the front drive shafts replaced in an attempt to eliminate the shutter. To date, this still does not eliminate the shaking upon acceleration. Suspicion is focused on the drive units and their relation to the suspension system.

• Disagree x 1
  6. ezevphl

ezevphl Member

I believe its lane assist and it kicked on for me after the latest update.
    I wish it was mentioned in the update notes and there was some sort of visual indication on the screen.

• Like x 1
  7. Eddyrelik

Eddyrelik Member

Hmmm...Interesting. So this can be turned off? I'll see if I find that setting and turn it off...see if I don't notice it anymore...haha.

• Informative x 1
  8. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

yup.
    Controls > Autopilot > Settings > Lane
    Departure Warning.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  9. Viv ki Bijli

Viv ki Bijli Member

I do all the times

10. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

#10 TeeEmCee, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    I felt the same the other day during a test drive. Far too sudden and constant-frequency to be anything but the lane keep feature. The sales advisor riding with me confirmed that it was indeed the lane departure warning.

I assume that it’s triggered using the main camera. My perception was that it’s triggered too late, well past the point where I was back in my lane (this was during a “clip the apex maneuvre” as I was trying to get a feel for the way it behaved while powering out of a tight turn).

I just spent a few weeks in a rental renault that had the lane departure warning implemented as a buzzing sound in the speaker on the side that was running over the line (same sound the tires would make when rolling over a physical rumble strip).

It was a lot more precise and more intuitive than the tesla steering vibration, i.m.o.

11. ras2645

ras2645 Member

I've had my car for a week and I have this issue. I've felt it about 10 times. just saw this post and glad its not just me.

12. favo

favo P3D+ owner

Turn off Lane Departure Warning.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. ras2645

ras2645 Member

I turned the lane departure warning off yesterday and it hasn't happened to me since. I wonder whats making this happen, i know that i wasn't departing lanes, it was totally false readings.

14. favo

favo P3D+ owner

Well, it does take a little while to calibrate the cameras (~50 miles), but you may be closer to the lines than you think.

15. DR61

DR61 Member

I have lane departure on our other car (Volvo), and it usually has a false warning once or twice on every longer drive. Hope for delivery of our Model 3 tomorrow so I will be watching for false warnings.

16. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Did you see greyed out lane lines for AP in your display? In my experience LDW tends to buzz as I get too close to a line not just when I go over.

• Informative x 1
  17. ras2645

ras2645 Member

I didn't notice, I really wasn't sure what was going on with the vibration, I thought that I may have some sort of steering/ alignment issue. it didn't occur to me that it was lane departure warning, I'm embarrassed to say I didn't realize that i had that feature. As soon as I read what was going on I was just happy to turn off the feature and see if the problem went away. I'll turn it back on after more testing and be aware whats going on when it happens again. I love this forum, its extremely helpful. I love my all dual motor Model 3, the car is simply amazing.

18. aaron0k

aaron0k Member

Try a re-torque of your lugs.

19. Bobbo8

Bobbo8 Member

It is Lane Assist, I had it. The steering wheel vibrates AND if you use the “turn Signal” it negates the Lane Assist, SO it can really be random.

20. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Diamond.G is right it alerts when you get close not on the line. Also on roads with poor marking it can give false alerts. So I find I normally turn it off as I find it more annoying than helpful except on long interstate drives.

• Informative x 1