Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone noticed drive unit leaks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome back, former German car owners:

2AiDvbk.jpg

sHzc8lS.jpg

Noticed this on the rear drive unit when I was installing my sways. I touched these areas & they left a *tiny* bit of oil on my finger. Anyone who's owned a German car knows: if it's not leaving a spot on the shielding/road - leave it alone and move on with your life. Something this small would take decades to even register on a dipstick... You're more likely to create problems fixing it.

So I'm not worried about it - just wondering if anyone else has noticed? Will watch it as time goes by. Maybe I'll mention it to Tesla just before the drivetrain warranty is up. ;)

btw that is not a hairline fracture in the first pic - just crap

BuT iT wIlL lAsT hAlF a MiLlion MiLeS, nO mOvInG pArTs!!

Had to, sorry :D

I'd, uh, maybe show them before installing after-market swaybars though. Tesla can be creative with warranty denial, like any car manufacturer.

Are these completely sealed units? Could you even top it up without taking it apart one day?

Wasn't it 1 million? People ask me "lol y do u need to lift it? there's nuffin to do!" There's always SOMETHING to do to any car worth owning. At least on this car it's one thing and not engine leaking in 15 places + transmission leaking in 2 + diff leaking in 3.

Also last thing I want is some SC grease monkey ripping apart a brand-new car to fix some imperceptible leak... I'll deal with it someday... if it gets bad enough.

And no - not sealed. If that was the case I'd be getting rid of this car tomorrow. Takes 2.75 liters of ATF-9. Just a regular fill plug on the gearbox like any other car.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3