Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone on SDG&E's TOU-DR1-Residential Plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jj3884

MYP Blue/Black, OD:8/28
Apr 20, 2021
San Marcos, California
And willing to screenshot the Non-Bypassable Charges section of your bill?

I'm eligible to Switch, I have Tesla Solar+Powerwalls+MYP, and have found that The EV-TOU5 plan is not worth it. Powerwalls, TOU settings, and Grid Charging make the NBCs around $25 a month+$16 a month (not adding the Wildfire/Bond) make the EV-TOU2 plan way more appealing. I am most likely not going to be a NET generator at any given year, but with those settings I'm banking over $1000 in credits (EV2 would be half that).

However when I go into my account it says the TOU-DR1-Residential Plan would save me about double what the EV-TOU2 plan would. The only way I can see that, even taking into account the Baseline Allowance Credit, is if that plan has no behind the meter NBCs (sure Wildfire, Bond whatever).

*EDIT* I'm on NEM2.0

And willing to screenshot the Non-Bypassable Charges section of your bill?

I'm eligible to Switch, I have Tesla Solar+Powerwalls+MYP, and have found that The EV-TOU5 plan is not worth it. Powerwalls, TOU settings, and Grid Charging make the NBCs around $25 a month+$16 a month (not adding the Wildfire/Bond) make the EV-TOU2 plan way more appealing. I am most likely not going to be a NET generator at any given year, but with those settings I'm banking over $1000 in credits (EV2 would be half that).

However when I go into my account it says the TOU-DR1-Residential Plan would save me about double what the EV-TOU2 plan would. The only way I can see that, even taking into account the Baseline Allowance Credit, is if that plan has no behind the meter NBCs (sure Wildfire, Bond whatever).

*EDIT* I'm on NEM2.0
Under NEM2.0, NBCs are only on the electricity that you import and this is regardless of the tariff/rate plan that you are on. You mention that you are likely not a net exporter/generator, you are grid charging your Powerwalls and you have $1000 in credits. I would cut way back on the grid charging, maybe down to zero as this doesn't seem to make sense for you.

Reactions: BGbreeder
I was a net exporter until I got my MYP in November 2021, which is when I switched my plan to EV5. I understand that NBCs are for all behind the meter consumption (regardless of exports), and I'm willing to accept that for the comfort of knowing my PowerWalls are full by the time there are Off-Peak/Peak hours. What I realize is the $16 dollar a month for EV5 isn't worth it. With EV2 I'm projecting to be only around $100-$200 in credits by the True-Up Date (April).

It was my plan to switch to EV2 (I just became eligible), but then SDG&E is showing my these price comparisons and I'm now questioning it.

So hence the post, I can't figure out is why is SDG&E's calculator showing a $600 dollar annual savings with TOU-DR1.... Super Off-Peak, Off-Peak, and Peak are significantly more. I figured the only way it could be that is if NBCs were treated differently. *shrug* I'll give it another month to see what my low generation months are like.

@jj3884 I took a quick look at the TOU-DR1 plan and it is definitely a "do not use Powerwalls during the winter" plan as there is zero spread in the rates. The 10% loss on the recharge negates the miniscule pricing difference between the On-Peak and Off-Peak/Super Off-Peak and if NBCs exceed the MDCs it would be negative. I'm on a similar PG&E plan with E-TOU-C, but these SDG&E rates are better and I would switch to them with

1667858655515.png

I am confused as the TOU-DR1 detailed rates don't match the simple rate chart above, especially in the winter.
1667859566393.png

The SDG&E transparency is even worse than PG&Es.

Your understanding is incorrect, NBCs are charged only for imports with no offset for exports. Your self-consumption behind the meter from solar or PW does not incur NBCs.
I understand it exactly how you're describing. Just some miscommunication on terminology.

I hate how they don't highlight the NBCs on the chart too. I was hoping someone has the plan and I could confirm what's going on. The only thing I can figure was some funky way on how the 130% Baseline credit works and the total net usage in a month. For example I am a net exporter in off peak and peak hours (usually very little off peak imports, never any peak imports), but super off peak I import around 1100/1200kwh but net around 500kwh a month. So if my Baseline credit was 384kwh*$.10 and my NBCs are 1200kwh*$.02 and then my NEM credits zero out or exceed the over 130% baseline usage then it makes sense that it suggest I can annually save $600 bucks

It just bugs me since they don't break down their pricing plan comparer, which is supposed to evaluate it based on the last 12 months. I don't see how it can honestly suggest TOU-DR1 or even their TOU-SES would save me more than EV-TOU-2, which I'll switch to as I was planning.

PS I tried reaching out to them, couldn't stay waiting/on hold.

So I think that's exactly what's going on, the 130% of baseline adjust credit @ .10 is throwing it off. Ran this through my spreadsheet; this can work but I won't know until April and I see what consistent Grid Charging brings me to, which either is a bit risky I suppose

Obviously like you said I can turn that off completely, but I figure even with it on once I alter the pricing plan in the app it will forgo Grid Charging anyways. I can raise my backup reserve at that point.

Switching to EV-TOU-2 and gauge from there. I'll Turn off Grid charging now and set my reserve higher and re-evaluate in a year when I can change plans again.

Last edited:
@jj3884 I took a quick look at the TOU-DR1 plan and it is definitely a "do not use Powerwalls during the winter" plan as there is zero spread in the rates. The 10% loss on the recharge negates the miniscule pricing difference between the On-Peak and Off-Peak/Super Off-Peak and if NBCs exceed the MDCs it would be negative. I'm on a similar PG&E plan with E-TOU-C, but these SDG&E rates are better and I would switch to them with

View attachment 872277
I am confused as the TOU-DR1 detailed rates don't match the simple rate chart above, especially in the winter.
View attachment 872278

The SDG&E transparency is even worse than PG&Es.

Your top picture is out of date...Your bottom picture looks current.

Check this one instead for current rates which matches your bottom picture:

Yeah, SDG&E makes it hard to find stuff.

I thought the EV-5 rate was $16 minimum monthly and if your total charge was higher, the $16 wasn't added additionally to your bill? Is that not true?

SDG&E uses the net energy from the meter on a 15 minute interval to calculate NBCs. For each 15 minute period , if you import more energy from the grid than you export, you will accumulate NBCs on the net energy for that 15 minute period. Currently SDG&E is charging $0.01971 per kWh for NBCs. This should be a separate line item charge on your bill which can't be offset by accumulated generation credits. At least that's how it works on my TOU-DR rate plan.

I thought the EV-5 rate was $16 minimum monthly and if your total charge was higher, the $16 wasn't added additionally to your bill? Is that not true?

No, that's the downside of EVTOU5. It's a flat fee added on regardless of consumption, unlike the "minimum bill". And the $16 cannot be offset by solar generation. EVTOU5 is good if you drive a whole bunch (like 2 EV household or heavy commuting) and don't have solar. With solar, I think EVTOU2 is usually better.

For the OP:

In my experience SDGE online calculators do not work well with solar or powerwalls, I wouldn't trust them compared to a manual calculation.

Also, there is a TOU-DR plan (without the 1 or 2) which is not well advertised but is available, with a less harsh summer peak. If you use peak summer electricity for AC frequently that may be useful. And if you have a powerwall, then maybe even consider the TOU-DR-P which will give a higher difference from solar generation to super-off-peak, and much less of a summer peak, as long as you work hard to avoid consumption on reduce-your-use days 4-9pm, usually the hottest summer ones.

I bet though that in a proper calculation EVTOU2 would likely win still with moderate EV driving.

Remember: If you're in city of San Diego and some other places, the commodity price isn't what's on the SDGE page (The EECC+DWR Credit rate, take that off), but San Diego Community Power - Powering a clean, affordable energy future. You add UDC Total to sdcommunitypower rates plus "PCIA" tacked on again by SDGE as a punishment for going off SDGE. The PCIA rate is time-independent kWh-based only, and *can* be offset by solar generation. (it's about 3c). Though that ends up being close to SDGE rates in the end.

BTW looking at the SDGE rate sheets you realize how disgustingly overpriced SDGE is. Tnfrastructure costs (distributoin + transmission) are 0.27 and 0.166 (super off peak) for EVTOU2.

I'm at my sister's in Virginia at the moment. The distribution rate is $6.58 a month plus 2.1c per kWh. Yes, more than *ten times* less. And above 800 kWh per month, the distribution charge goes *down* to 1.2 cents. Transmission is 0.97 additional. This excludes all energy costs so it has nothing to do with California green energy and all that BS.