Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone only care about autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until a few weeks ago, I spent three hours a day RT. All I wanted was AP.
Now I changed divisions at my job and it's a four mile, one-exit commute (sorry guys!) but I still want a Tesla for other reasons. Power, ride, all-around usability, etc.
Problem is my wife doesn't see the rationale anymore. Help!

I drive to Fairfield and Sacramento almost daily. It's an easy drive on the freeway but I would still love to just chill out as the car drives for me.

The only other concern I have is that how long will full self driving take to activate, I bet the Nvidia hardware will be much more robust once that time comes around.

Anyways this is going to be great if it works well.

Do you (OP) drive back to the Bay Area a lot? Otherwise, I'm having trouble imagining the great appeal of automatic pilot in Davis. At least how autopilot in a Model 3 works in the more immediate future. I've done the Davis to Sacramento commute, and there really isn't much that a lot of the other laser/radar guided smart cruise controls can't also do on that commute. Davis to Bay Area is longer distance so a more advanced auto pilot can allow you some more zoning out time.

Personally, the FSD interests me, but I'm not hopeful it'll be out in any meaningful way until the tail end of my ownership of the car. At that point in time, I'll see about either selling it for a new model or just shelling out the $4,000 for FSD then. Shoot, I'm not totally convinced I need EAP at this time and I do have a 100+ mile commute once a week.

About the only thing I don't care about is autopilot.

But I'm not trying to be negative, I actually think it's awesome that we can both see Tesla as a groundbreaking pioneer that will become an icon of an emerging technology for completely different and independent reasons. To me, that's amazing!

Much like the OP, autopilot is my main driver for wanting a Tesla. (see what I did there?)

I timed my M3 reservation (reserved around Halloween of last year) so that delivery would occur summer-ish 2018 with the hope that autopilot tech would be improved to the point by then to be super useful.

Now, having said all of that.. the siren call of Tesla has been singing in my ear. The real-world price of a nicely equipped M3, along with other cost benefits of having a car now, have me thinking about MS. The price delta for me is about $20k when I figure everything in for my anticipated hold time. So.. get one now, or later.. We'll see what happens...

Main reason for me as well. I just want auto pilot now and FSD in the future. Other reason is HOV access but that'll expire so FSD is a must in 2019+.

I spend a total of 4 to 5 hours a day in LA traffic going to and from work.
I think that I found someone with a longer Southern California commute than me! I, too, am looking forward to EAP reducing my commute strain for my 55 mile, one-way commute. Lots of either 405 or PCH for me. I generally pick PCH because I would rather look at the beach than a parking lot of cars. I was interested in the model 3 with or without EAP, so it will be gravy for me.

Until a few weeks ago, I spent three hours a day RT. All I wanted was AP.
Now I changed divisions at my job and it's a four mile, one-exit commute (sorry guys!) but I still want a Tesla for other reasons. Power, ride, all-around usability, etc.
Same here. Years ago, I commuted 160 miles round-trip each day and really could have benefited from autopilot. Now that I'm retired, I drive for pleasure or to run errands, so I'd rather control the car myself and spend the extra $5K on creature comforts vs. autopilot.

The only other concern I have is that how long will full self driving take to activate, I bet the Nvidia hardware will be much more robust once that time comes around.

The Nvidia hardware is already installed in the car. As are all the cameras and sensors. Even if Nvidia has much newer stuff at the time FSD finally arrives, your car will have to work with the "old" equipment.

AP is of interest to me but definitely not the primary reason for buying model 3. I don’t even know if I would order with EAP to save the cash at time of purchase.

I am highly skeptical that FSD arrives on this generation through software updates in a year or two and what good is AP if I can’t use my phone or engage in other activities while the car is driving?

Reactions: DR61
The first manufacturer to offer me a middle class car with at least true level 3 autonomy on my daily commute gets my money and I don't even care if it's an ev or an ice ( i'd prefer ev ofc). My hope is that a miracle happens with eap and fsd in the ~2 years until model 3 hits Europe....if not I'll wait a while longer until I replace my e class.

...I really don't like driving anymore....

Just placed reservation for model 3. The only feature I really care about is self driving, autopilot. I am fascinated and very interested in this technology, and if the car can drive itself on the freeway that would be just fabulous. Definitely not meant to offend anyone here, but nothing else about the tesla really interests me, in fact I kind of would prefer the convenience of quickly filling up my tank at a gas station. I debated buying an accord with Honda sensing, but I felt I should get the tesla with autopilot and the possibility of full self driving capability in the future. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same category. Hoping for some feedback with people who have driven with autopilot. Thanks.
Full self driving is at least 10 years away because of legislation red tape. Assisted driving, or AP, is here now but I think you will be disappointed in it. It allows a couple of minutes at a time self driving until the steering wheel nag forces you to touch the wheel, thus negating full self driving.

XKCD

self_driving.png

By far the biggest feature to me with the model 3 and the fact that Tesla sends software updates via cellular. As another poster said was looking at the audi for traffic jam assist but think Tesla is way ahead in this area which really sparked my interest in the model 3.

I find AP to be interesting and promising, but I won't be dropping money on it until it has the features that are promised/existing in earlier (AP1) vehicles. FSD sounds great, but I sure won't be giving Tesla my 3/4K on a promise of something maybe/possibly every launching without any way to get the money back if it fails. I'd rather hold onto it in an investment account and buy it later if it fully comes to fruition.

The driving experience of an Accord (and I've owned one) is only comparable in that it has four wheels and gets you where you need to go, nothing wrong with making getting there more fun!

So glad to hear this. I'm used to driving very sporty cars, but bought and Accord as the gap-filler because I wanted something easy to sell for whenever the Model 3 suddenly became available for me. Holy *sugar* is this car a soul-killer.

• Funny
Reactions: shrspeedblade
AutoPilot is the primary reason I'm interested in Tesla (and the Model 3). The 200+mile range, cool design, electric low maintenance drive-train, over-the-air software updates, clean interior, and an interface that doesn't suck are also up there on the list of reasons I'm interested in Tesla. ;)

Reactions: THXULTRA