Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone only care about autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AutoPilot is the primary reason I'm interested in Tesla (and the Model 3). The 200+mile range, cool design, electric low maintenance drive-train, over-the-air software updates, clean interior, and an interface that doesn't suck are also up there on the list of reasons I'm interested in Tesla. ;)

The auto pilot features are what first got me interested in the Tesla. I also like that they are fast and fun to drive yet still efficient. Also no internal combustion engine maint/problems.

Reactions: T-Will
I guess if you have to drive routes that are subject to stop and go, snarls, traffic jams and are forced to share the remaining slivers of space with hyper-competitive drivers, and if you really have no problems being a passenger in your own car, then full-on AP might be useful. I don't drive roads like that, and I have no wish to share the pleasure of driving a good EV with some ghost in the machine.
Robin

When I saw the M3 at the first reveal I fell in love with it. What I really fell in love with was the idea that I could have the car of the future today for close to $35,000. Of course, autopilot was what primarily made it the car of the future. But now that I know that a fully capable M3 costs around $60,000. I have to rethink everything.

Based on everything I have been reading lately on these forums, the long-range battery is pretty much of a necessity. But from my way of thinking I would have to be a sucker to pay $9000 for something that cost Tesla around $4000.

I feel that way, or worse, about autopilot--FSD. There is zero marginal cost to Tesla for what I would have to pay $8000 to purchase. So now I am looking at an M3 without autopilot and without the long-range battery. It would be an excellent car at an excellent price; but I don't know if it will be "futuristic" enough, or capable enough, for me.

Jim Keller did some nice work for AMD and Apple and I think he will come up with some nice hardware for Tesla. My personal expectation is the computer will need a full swap for full self driving. I plan on buying it when it's done and not up front.

Just placed reservation for model 3. The only feature I really care about is self driving, autopilot. I am fascinated and very interested in this technology, and if the car can drive itself on the freeway that would be just fabulous. Definitely not meant to offend anyone here, but nothing else about the tesla really interests me, in fact I kind of would prefer the convenience of quickly filling up my tank at a gas station. I debated buying an accord with Honda sensing, but I felt I should get the tesla with autopilot and the possibility of full self driving capability in the future. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same category. Hoping for some feedback with people who have driven with autopilot. Thanks.
By the time you get your car two years from now many of the bugs will surely be removed from autopilot, but only Elon Musk and his fanboys believe fully autonomous driving will happen anytime soon. I could care less because, unlike you, I bought my Tesla for lots of reasons, none of which was the chance to watch tv or read a book while “driving.” If that was the case, I’d just Uber everywhere.

I could care less because, unlike you, I bought my Tesla for lots of reasons, none of which was the chance to watch tv or read a book while “driving.”

I think I agree with you ......but......

Care Chart.jpg

When I saw the M3 at the first reveal I fell in love with it. What I really fell in love with was the idea that I could have the car of the future today for close to $35,000. Of course, autopilot was what primarily made it the car of the future. But now that I know that a fully capable M3 costs around $60,000. I have to rethink everything.

Based on everything I have been reading lately on these forums, the long-range battery is pretty much of a necessity. But from my way of thinking I would have to be a sucker to pay $9000 for something that cost Tesla around $4000.

I feel that way, or worse, about autopilot--FSD. There is zero marginal cost to Tesla for what I would have to pay $8000 to purchase. So now I am looking at an M3 without autopilot and without the long-range battery. It would be an excellent car at an excellent price; but I don't know if it will be "futuristic" enough, or capable enough, for me.

This! The $60k price tag was a major turn off from model 3 until I did some thinking and came to realization that even if I take m3 on long road trips, even then the long range battery is just a nice to have to save few mins of charging. Save yourself $9k and don't get long range but do get autopilot. You won't regret this!

Reactions: T-Will

The absolute must have is premium package IMO. The rest is debatable, especially Autopilot which can always be added later. That $5k premium package almost seems to be sold at cost.. there are so many features. I feel bad for those who can't afford it.