Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone only getting 60% of predicted range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 P90D that I purchased preowned directly from Tesla. I'm experiencing very disappointing range in the 3 months I've had it -- achieving only roughly 60% of the indicated range. So for example my full charge indicates about 215 miles of range, but in reality I only get about 130 miles before the batteries are depleted.

I have the car in Chill mode and am completely babying it when accelerating/driving to make sure it's not my driving style that's causing rapid depletion, but still no change in achieved range. I've had Tesla service examine the car already and of course they say it's my driving style. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
I have a 2016 P90D that I purchased preowned directly from Tesla. I'm experiencing very disappointing range in the 3 months I've had it -- achieving only roughly 60% of the indicated range. So for example my full charge indicates about 215 miles of range, but in reality I only get about 130 miles before the batteries are depleted.

I have the car in Chill mode and am completely babying it when accelerating/driving to make sure it's not my driving style that's causing rapid depletion, but still no change in achieved range. I've had Tesla service examine the car already and of course they say it's my driving style. :rolleyes:

Where do you charge?
How often do you charge?
What's your driving pattern? (Distances, traffic, speeds)

You have two different issues:

1. Your remaining battery capacity is 215/250= 86%. The degradation is more than average. Check out the chart here. However, there isn't anything you can do about it other than making sure it doesn't get worse. To do that, ideally, you should avoid leaving the car sitting close to 0% or 100%. Don't set it to 100% overnight because you are supposed to drive off when it reaches 100%.

By the way, 215 miles at 100% is not predicted range. It is called 'rated range'. Rated range is not affected by speed, your driving style, elevation, wind, temperature, tire pressure, wheel size or any other factor that affects consumption. None of these have any effect on rated range. Rated range is only affected by how much energy the battery holds compared to when the car was new.

The Model X P90D has 250 miles rated range when new. Let's say the range at 100% drops to 240 miles over time. That means the battery has 240/250= 96% capacity left. You might say, "I get more range if I drive slower". That's correct but that doesn't affect the range displayed at 100%. Your speed only affects how much real-world range you get out of the displayed rated range.

2. You are getting 130/215= 60% of rated range. 130 miles is normal assuming you have the 22" wheels and your average speed is 73 mph. If you look at the range table here, it shows 172 miles range at 75 mph for Model X P90D with 22" wheels. However, in winter you will lose 10-20% range. Let's assume 15%. That means winter range would be 0.85*172= 146 miles. Compared to the 250 miles rated range, that would be 146/250= 58%. This suggests, your average speed was slightly below 75 mph, probably 73 mph because you are achieving 60% instead of 58%.

This is your current range assuming you have the 22" wheels:
  • 162 miles in summer with 22" wheels
  • 130 miles in winter with 22" wheels
If you switch your wheels to 20" in winter, your range would be as follows:
  • 162 miles in summer with 22" wheels
  • 168 miles in winter with 20" wheels
Therefore switching to 20" in winter would be a good idea because your range would be similar in winter and summer.

I've calculated 168 miles as follows: 20" wheels have 22.6% more range than 22". That means instead of 162 miles with 22", your summer range would be 162*1.226= 199 miles with 20" but in winter it would drop to 0.85*199= 168 miles.

Last edited:

If you are doing a lot of short trips in the city, yes I am also getting only 60% of the rated range. It is also cold here in Canada, and that also is a factor. I find that starting up the car each time and heating it wastes a lot of energy.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
You have two different issues:

Don't set it to 100% overnight because you are supposed to drive off when it hits 1100%

I'm sorry, but I have to call a foul here. Give any reference to where this is correct.

I believe that the reality is that in a study of other batteries, it was found that when left at 100% for a year, there was some slight reduction.

I assume that you also take your cellphone off the charger when it reaches 100%?

If it is cold, that cuts off about 50% of the rated range. I never rely on the "range" for my X in the winter and mountains and give a 50% efficiency. Roughly 20% in normal driving (i'm quite spirited too). Environment definitely plays a role.

example 1) Going from ROCKLIN, CA to TRUCKEE, CA in about 40-50 degree F weather I will eat about 140 "rated" range when the distance is only about 70 miles.

example 2) Going from ROCKLIN, CA to TRUCKEE, CA in about 30 degree F weather, and driving at 85mph up the mountain ate about 158 "rated" range (last weekend)

I'm sorry, but I have to call a foul here. Give any reference to where this is correct.

I believe that the reality is that in a study of other batteries, it was found that when left at 100% for a year, there was some slight reduction.

I assume that you also take your cellphone off the charger when it reaches 100%?

i don't. but thats why cellphone batteries die out and lose a good percentage of their capacity after 2-3 years while 2-3 years later tesla batteries go strong.

Batteries have a finite number of charge cycles, and everytime you charge to 100%, you're closer to using a full cycle. That's a fact.

Why You Shouldn't Charge your Phone Battery from 0 to 100% - PSafe Blog

Tesla battery expert recommends daily charging limit to optimize durability

Is Charging to 100% Really that Bad?

Nissan leafs had no way to limit charge except unplugging it, and nissan leaf batteries are notorious for degredation. But by all means, be the one contrarian to what is common knowledge for all tesla owners.

Reactions: Troy and P85_DA
So I also have a 2016 preowned p90d - and my battery issues have been similar.
And to move it away from range issues (which can be impacted by driving)
- I have no noticed on 2-3 occasions (where I have kept an account of things), my battery goes from the 90% (recommended daily charge) down to 23% today, with 45.2 kw used.
That means my current battery max is 67 kWh. Quite a hefty downgrade from the proposed 90.

I actually have to take the car in tomorrow (getting new window motor drivers out in, new window sealant - wind whistling noise while driving is crazy); will see what they say about my stats.

I have a 2021 Model 3. My home-to-work roundtrip is 60 miles. In the winter it regularly takes more than 100 miles sometimes even 120.