Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone ordered with Full Self-Driving option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished ordering my Model S and I am the gadget type who'd order any hitech toys available on my cars. However, for the M3, I have decided to hold off on the Full Self-driving option and opt for it when and if it becomes a reality. My though is that this may take 4-5 years to become real due to the many internal and external factors (technology, software validation and most importantly, legislation) Also, I may decide to trade-in this M3 and get a different car. I am definitely very excited about this option and would not have blinked an eye and ordered it if I know it will be real in the next 6-12 months.

So I am wondering, how many of you are in the same thought? I think an extra $1000 is not a bad insurance policy against a $3000 bet...

I'm not a Tesla owner, but I have a reservation on the 3 and I just don't understand why anyone would purchase FSD.

It'll cost an extra $1k / £1k to buy it after delivery, which makes more sense because it isn't available now, and as you say there's no indication when it'll be available.

It doesn't make sense to pay for something which isn't available yet.

My boss has a Model S 90D and he went the same way. He bought EAP, because he's using that now, but he'll buy FSD when it comes available.

I just finished ordering my Model S and I am the gadget type who'd order any hitech toys available on my cars. However, for the M3, I have decided to hold off on the Full Self-driving option and opt for it when and if it becomes a reality. My though is that this may take 4-5 years to become real due to the many internal and external factors (technology, software validation and most importantly, legislation) Also, I may decide to trade-in this M3 and get a different car. I am definitely very excited about this option and would not have blinked an eye and ordered it if I know it will be real in the next 6-12 months.

So I am wondering, how many of you are in the same thought? I think an extra $1000 is not a bad insurance policy against a $3000 bet...
@llngoc my thought process works the same way as yours, but I am still on the fence about ordering FSD. My concern is that the upgrade to FSD will no longer be $4000 to upgrade when it is fully operational. It could be $6000 or $10,000. Who knows? I would like Tesla to implement a $1000 option to reserve FSD for $3000 upgrade when it becomes operational!

Why would anyone purchase it now rather than waiting? Because you would be funding the research and development to bring the firmware and software to market sooner. Just like the early roadster and MS adopters paid more for their cars to fund the R&D on the MX and model 3, the same is true for FSD. Because of some disabilities, I NEED FSD! The sooner the better.

I doubt Tesla will raise the price later for us since it is clearly specified in the Design page for the $4000 price after delivery. (Or lawyers will have a feast. :))

@llngoc my thought process works the same way as yours, but I am still on the fence about ordering FSD. My concern is that the upgrade to FSD will no longer be $4000 to upgrade when it is fully operational. It could be $6000 or $10,000. Who knows? I would like Tesla to implement a $1000 option to reserve FSD for $3000 upgrade when it becomes operational!

Why would anyone purchase it now rather than waiting? Because you would be funding the research and development to bring the firmware and software to market sooner. Just like the early roadster and MS adopters paid more for their cars to fund the R&D on the MX and model 3, the same is true for FSD. Because of some disabilities, I NEED FSD! The sooner the better.

Reactions: SFPD and 3s-a-charm
I doubt Tesla will raise the price later for us since it is clearly specified in the Design page for the $4000 price after delivery. (Or lawyers will have a feast. :))
You are probably right, but again, who knows. I am not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night and I think Tesla attorneys have put in enough legal language to protect themselves if they should wish to increase the price. The price quoted is for TODAY not necessarily next month. I don't wish to spread FUD but I have not made a final decision yet and won't until my invite.

I am a sucker and bought FSD on my 3

Here were my thoughts:
-the Model S descriptions of the 2 options indicate that you will eventually get access to all 8 cameras with FSD. I figure that might eventually make for better lane changes, etc, even if full FSD is not achieved

-Tesla removes after the fact upgrades with zero notice. We were going to upgrade my husbands 2015 P85D to L, and ordered the upgrade. In the process, Tesla removed the option cancelled our order, and we are now unable to upgrade our car. I could see this happening with FSD if hardware upgrades end up being needed.

- Tesla can and does raise (or lower) prices on after the fact upgrades. They raised the price of AP from $2500 to $5000 and folks who hadn’t bought the upgrade yet had to pay the higher price. They have also lowered after the fact prices, as they did with one of the software upgrades for battery size. I am betting FSD will go up in price, not down.

Now I just hope I don’t get my 3 into an accident before I start seeing the benefits from the FSD upgrade. My S was totaled after only a year of ownership, sniff. Totalled my S today....so I confirmed my Model 3 First Production order

Paying for FSD now is a gamble of sorts. Here's the thing, Tesla's track record of delivering ANYTHING with FSD is quite poor and there are many customers who bought FSD years ago and have NOTHING to show for it. By not paying for it now you are guaranteed to pay a minimum of of $1,000 more if you decide you want it (if they ever deliver a product). That's a 20% savings if you believe that Tesla will deliver FSD before you get rid of the car and you'll want it. It is also a hedge against the future costs of required hardware upgrades. Now, from where I stand, the likelihood of hardware upgrades is the lowest its been since tesla first started offering FSD, because we're on hardware 2.5, so the model 3 hardware has the best chance of not needing an upgrade, but anything is possible. I will forgo FSD because 1) I am already spending too much on this car, so that's an easy cost saving measure, and 2) With AP 2.5 parity challenges, it still seems like tesla is a ways off and even though the 20% savings is attractive (as is the hardware 'guarantee'), I want to see what FSD really is before I buy it. 3) Since we're getting the latest HW, it is likely that the HW hedge isn't necessary.... Even if you buy it and Tesla ultimately delivers with the current hardware, it is likely to initially only be as good (or maybe 2x)as a human driver. Check. Delivered as promised. Oh, but if you buy the new "safety" hardware upgrade package for $5,000 (or whatever) your FSD can be enhanced to be 10x safer than a human driver....

For my purposes, I wouldn’t even buy the car without EAP (it’s the single biggest factor in why I’m buying a Tesla. Model 3 without EAP isn’t worth $10k to me let alone 5 times that), but I’m not going to buy FSD unless there are substantial leaps forward in what EAP can do and something to make me think FSD might actually happen.

Oh, I’d also buy it if I means I can get the car sooner I guess.

Last edited:
My prediction is that based on past Tesla deliveries there will never be FSD on the current hardware (2.0 and 2.5), not even close. Still completely enamored with AP 1.0 FW 7.1. Hope Tesla eventually delivers but keeping my old tech that works. Good luck all and Merry Christmas.

I am a sucker and bought FSD on my 3

Here were my thoughts:
-the Model S descriptions of the 2 options indicate that you will eventually get access to all 8 cameras with FSD. I figure that might eventually make for better lane changes, etc, even if full FSD is not achieved
Agree, We traded in on a S 75 new inventory 6 months ago, with FSD. Not sure the following makes sense to all of you now but these were our reasons.
We were not sure the current hardware would fully support FSD and Tesla may only fully upgrade the hardware on cars if needed if they have FSD.
Also, they may turn on more of the cameras in the near future which may only be available to FSD cars, which was a safety and possible improved autopilot issue to us.
Tesla continues to increase maintenance and other costs. EAD on a S or X is now $6,600 buy it now and $7,900 later. FSD is $4,000 now and $5,300 later.
Lastly, we had the money then and as you can see there were many unresolved issues we were unsure about. Even if FSD is not available for a number of years, our trade in value with it may not be a large loss at that time. We got a much better trade in deal because our 2014 S 85 was one of the first cars with autopilot 1.
Question: Does any one know if Tesla is intending to implement a rear automatic breaking system. We like the forward breaking and it has helped us a few times. We, however, have difficulty pulling out of a parking space if there is a truck or van parked next to us. Also the driveway kids, etc issue. We understand automatic rear breaking is available from some other manufactures.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I look at FSD now as a form of insurance policy. If indeed they can not bring FSD to life with the current hardware suite, by having prepurchased it, they would most likely update the hardware but for those that didn't prepurchase...?

Plus, even if they haven't released FSD in 5 or 6 years (minimum I am going to keep this car) having it reserved should raise the resale value.

...but, like all things Tesla, each to his/her own.

Dan

Reactions: landis
@llngocMy concern is that the upgrade to FSD will no longer be $4000 to upgrade when it is fully operational.

I picked up my Model 3 today. I got it with FSD. I think one of the fun things about this car will be watching a baby driving AI grow up. I think it will happen fairly quickly once it gets started. Without FSD I wouldn't get to experience that.

I suspect that eventually this option will be close to free. It certainly won't go up in price.