Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone ordering vanity plates for their M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought because license plates are all visible it would not be a big deal. Never thought this might be a security issue. Can you educate me on what may happen if people post my tag online?
I really don't know what could, might, maybe, possibly happen, most likely nothing, but I play the safe side. With exception to LinkedIn and this forum I'm a ghost online, never have I had any social media accounts.

I got one, luckily my town isn't too big so people find it funny. haven't gotten anything thrown at my car yet but do get posted on social media every once in a while.

Attachments

• IMG_9158.jpg
    IMG_9158.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 253
I ordered a 3 character custom CA plate 2 months ago. My biggest fear is that I'll get them 6-8 months from now and find that they aren't centered despite requesting this in the comments. Apparently if this happens the only recourse is to pay the $50 again to reorder them (and wait another 6-8 months) or just deal with off-centered text.

The instructions for centering with full spaces and half spaces seem to be hit or miss as are the experiences of other people who have tried to get centered text in the past. Hoping for the best!

Also not sure what the big deal is about black plates in CA. I guess I just don't get it, being from the East. I eat just as many mission burritos as I do cheese steaks, so I guess it's all good.
The California plates which had gold lettering on a black background were issued from 1963-1969.

California brought them back as a limited offer and calls them "Legacy" plates, and charges (I believe it's $50) extra for them.

I happen to have a Blue Model Y, and feel that the black plates look much nicer and bring less attention then our current white plate with blue lettering.

For some, it brings back memories of their childhood, for others, they simply prefer the look of the Yellow on Black over the standard Yellow on White plate.

2D961A60-28FF-4495-B796-C9DAC7036E06.jpeg

I was very excited to find out that my state has a “Friends of Coal” tag. Since my state taxes me for not buying gas, I figured I should also show some support for those who do power my car. Any suggestions for a 6 character tag?

I thought because license plates are all visible it would not be a big deal. Never thought this might be a security issue. Can you educate me on what may happen if people post my tag online?
This really depends. Having a plate # in and of itself is not a big deal. But if someone wanted to track you or your car down and had access to DMVs database or knew someone who did who was willing to run it, they could easily get your address...

This really depends. Having a plate # in and of itself is not a big deal. But if someone wanted to track you or your car down and had access to DMVs database or knew someone who did who was willing to run it, they could easily get your address...
Is it really that big a deal? I mean, my license plate is out in the open. Anybody who has an interest could do the same thing ...