Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone ordering without EAP and FSDC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered my S with EAP, expecting it to work shortly after my December delivery.:(

I didn't order FSDC, expecting that it may never work with 2016 vintage hardware and lots of regulatory obstacles to overcome.

If I'm right, I save $3K. If I'm wrong, I'll probably be happy to spend the additional $1K "penalty" to get that functionality.

In the interim, Tesla may choose to provide some "partial" self driving capability for FSDC-only cars that I'll miss out on. Time will tell.

I didn't buy either one. May get EAP in a year or so if the reviews justify it. If I was a car flipper or had leased, I might have purchased both, but I will probably keep the S for a minimum of 8-10 years so there is no rush. Thanks to all of you alpha and beta testers. Use your seatbelts and say lots of prayers. Earn that $2000 test pilot bonus!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: oktane
I bought both. I debated on FSD. It is certainly vaporware now. But, I figured that even if we don't get all the way to the car driving itself there will be additional capabilities worth having. As far as the cost, I figure once a few improvements are made toward FSD Tesla is likely to start raising the price. People are thinking they can handle an additional $1,000, but what if that later turns to $2,000, $3,000, or more?

I bought both. I debated on FSD. It is certainly vaporware now. But, I figured that even if we don't get all the way to the car driving itself there will be additional capabilities worth having. As far as the cost, I figure once a few improvements are made toward FSD Tesla is likely to start raising the price. People are thinking they can handle an additional $1,000, but what if that later turns to $2,000, $3,000, or more?

We also got both but can tell that FSDC is years away from being ready!

Reactions: Altes and wesley888
.People are thinking they can handle an additional $1,000, but what if that later turns to $2,000, $3,000, or more?

I believe the upgrade prices are locked in based on the car. Similar to the battery upgrades, the cost depends on your VIN and agreement at the time. It doesn't get cheaper/expensive with rollouts. Tesla is generally big on honoring the price point or making it better.

We didn't get EAP nor FSD.

Reason is simple, we couldn't afford it. It would've added 10% to the purchase price of our car. For something that wasn't even available yet, with an unknown availability date at the time of purchasing.

No regrets. We have the option of still buying it at a later date if everything ends up working as intended.

Reactions: Ravenous21
I believe the upgrade prices are locked in based on the car. Similar to the battery upgrades, the cost depends on your VIN and agreement at the time. It doesn't get cheaper/expensive with rollouts. Tesla is generally big on honoring the price point or making it better.

Not true. When Tesla raised the Autopilot price folks who hadn't upgraded yet had to pay the new higher price if they wanted AP. Even if when they bought the car, it was listed as the lower price. There are some threads here about it.

Reactions: wesley888
Can't blame the beta testers for trying to scare those of us who are waiting. I'd be trying to justify paying up front for vaporware, too. If Tesla decides to bump up the upgrade price beyond the $2000, we won't buy. Tesla knows that.

Not trying to "scare" anyone. I couldn't care less if you decide to buy it or not. Just saying the thinking that went into my decision to buy FSD now rather than later. As mentioned, Tesla has a history of price increases. You may be lucky. Tesla also has a history of trying to entice people with a limited time free trial. That might happen.

Last edited: