Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Own a Volvo with PA2 - EAP Cparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title suggests, does anyone have a modern Volvo with Pilot Assist II who can compare that to EAP?

I upgraded my wife’s 2016 Volvo XC90 from PA1 to PA2 when it first came out in late 2016. It only cost like $200 or $300. It does work pretty well, better than the Acura equivalent technology.

However, I still don’t use it that much as babysitting it or worrying if it is going to work right is more work than just driving. Also, the hands on wheel nagging is too frequent and annoying. Finally, it has a tendency to bounce inside the lane like a drunk driver. It doesn’t hit the lines or even get close to them, but it sort of goes back and forth along the centerline as opposed to driving straight.

Due to that experience, I really debated spending $5K for EAP, but ultimately I bit the bullet and did. After more reading, I’m now thinking this system is similar and requires significant anticipation and monitoring, which to me is more effort and anxiety than simply driving the car.

Just wondering anyone who has extensive time in both systems. Having the Volvo system for 2 years, the novelty was cool at first, nice to show it off turning on the highway to others, but that has worn off and I seldom use it.

NOTE: Sent from iPhone, spelling mistake in title. Hopefully a moderator can fix that.

For me, watching Autopilot drive and being ready to intervene requires far less effort than actually driving myself, especially once I found a hand grip the car is happy with (I hold the wheel with one hand around 4:30 or 7:30, and let the weight of the arm rest on the hand - gives the car enough input I never get nags, and if AP disengaged suddenly it won't swerve the car sharply.)

I really, really want a level 3 car. Until that happens, AP is the best deal going, and very useful to me.

I own an XC90 T8 with PAII and a Model 3. The systems are not in the same universe. I use PAII amost exclusively on highways in traffic. It's good at doing the boring work of staying in the lane and not hitting the car in front of me.

On regular roads, higher speeds, etc, there's no comparison. Get EAP.

• Informative
Reactions: akidesir
My wife drives a Volvo XC90 and I drive a Model 3.

I agree with others. The EAP is much better. The Volvo bounces from side to side while the Tesla follows a laser-line down the center of the lane.

I do like the lane departure assist (or whatever Volvo calls). It is much preferred than Tesla’s lane departure warning. The Volvo keeps you from drifting out of your lane unintentionally without being too overbearing when you do what to change lanes.

Thanks, sounds like we all have similar garages now. Glad to hear EAP is a bit more hands off. I find the Volvo system annoying, I like the ACC, but find the auto-steer to bounce back and forth and when you keep your hands on the wheel it seems to always be pulling you, so I end up turning it off. It was only $200 and is handy for the occasional time I need to enable it to get a toy my son dropped in the back seat for like 2 seconds.

At $5K I really struggled checking the box, but I did mostly because I know Tesla is always updating the tech.