Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone paid for Model 3 charging yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did pay for Supercharging with my X. It came without free Supercharging, before Tesla decided to give it to all X and S owners. I'm one of the few with truly free Supercharging (not priced into the car price and free to use). I'd be surprised if Supercharging the Model 3 didn't work exactly the same as when I was paying.

I had a credit card on file with Tesla. They charged it every time I used a Supercharger. I didn't have to do anything different at the Supercharger. Each state has a different cost, some kWh based and some time based, as shown on the Tesla Supercharging link. I believe that is mainly to avoid regulations about reselling electricity. I was able to see the different rates and kWh/time amounts and charges for each Supercharger stop on the MyTesla page. Three times I was not charged at all. Not sure why that happened, but they did know I had used the charger since it showed up on the invoice history.

Picked up the X in March, took the big road trip in April and racked up $155 in Supercharging after my free 400 kWh. Soon after, Tesla announced free Supercharging for everyone and refunded my $155!

I did pay for Supercharging with my X. It came without free Supercharging, before Tesla decided to give it to all X and S owners. I'm one of the few with truly free Supercharging (not priced into the car price and free to use). I'd be surprised if Supercharging the Model 3 didn't work exactly the same as when I was paying.

I had a credit card on file with Tesla. They charged it every time I used a Supercharger. I didn't have to do anything different at the Supercharger. Each state has a different cost, some kWh based and some time based, as shown on the Tesla Supercharging link. I believe that is mainly to avoid regulations about reselling electricity. I was able to see the different rates and kWh/time amounts and charges for each Supercharger stop on the MyTesla page. Three times I was not charged at all. Not sure why that happened, but they did know I had used the charger since it showed up on the invoice history.

Picked up the X in March, took the big road trip in April and racked up $155 in Supercharging after my free 400 kWh. Soon after, Tesla announced free Supercharging for everyone and refunded my $155!
This is perfect information. Thanks for responding.

We have different power companies in the Chicagoland area. For instance Naperville Il has its own power company with different ( higher ) rates than its surrounding cities. There is a Tesla supercharger in Aurora IL which is the next door neighbor of Naperville Il.

I suppose Tesla would use the electricity rate of the city that it exists in.

This is perfect information. Thanks for responding.

We have different power companies in the Chicagoland area. For instance Naperville Il has its own power company with different ( higher ) rates than its surrounding cities. There is a Tesla supercharger in Aurora IL which is the next door neighbor of Naperville Il.

I suppose Tesla would use the electricity rate of the city that it exists in.

Tesla clearly stated that they will determine the rates and be consistent within a region/state/country.

If customers travel beyond their annual credit, they will be charged a small fee to Supercharge. In North America, pricing is fixed within each state or province; overseas, pricing is fixed within each country. In most regions, Tesla owners will pay per kWh as it’s the fairest way to pay for the exact energy used. However, due to local regulations, in several regions we will charge per minute of usage instead, though we are actively working with regulators to update the rules.

Building the Supercharger Network for the Future

Tesla clearly stated that they will determine the rates and be consistent within a region/state/country.

Building the Supercharger Network for the Future
But my question is: I'm wondering how Tesla is charging those close to where I live.....where there are 2+ different power companies charging 2 to 3 different rates.
I understand what Tesla is saying. Its just that the power companies aren't conducive to Tesla's objectives.

But my question is: I'm wondering how Tesla is charging those close to where I live.....where there are 2+ different power companies charging 2 to 3 different rates.
I understand what Tesla is saying. Its just that the power companies aren't conducive to Tesla's objectives.

Tesla has said it's by state. Doesn't matter about the local power company. Tesla will be the one billing you, not the power company.

Reactions: cwerdna
Tesla has said it's by state. Doesn't matter about the local power company. Tesla will be the one billing you, not the power company.
I get what you are saying, however what I'm asking is this:

If one power company charges .02 kwh and the other charges .12 per kwh - IN THE SAME STATE......what is Tesla going to charge? .33 per kwh?

Is Tesla supposed to be competitive?