Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone paid for Model 3 charging yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dude, if you live in Naperville (I grew up there... when population was 3,000) you have a house. You charge at your house. You mostly use superchargers for distance travel. So you won't be using aurora. Unless you are trying to rate arbitrage, which ain't worth the time and trouble. :):):)

Reactions: Rich966
I get what you are saying, however what I'm asking is this:

If one power company charges .02 kwh and the other charges .12 per kwh - IN THE SAME STATE......what is Tesla going to charge? .33 per kwh?

Is Tesla supposed to be competitive?
No. If they were trying to be competitive, a bunch of local weasels would just supercharge, blocking distance travel. Already a problem with free supercharging.

Dude, if you live in Naperville (I grew up there... when population was 3,000) you have a house. You charge at your house. You mostly use superchargers for distance travel. So you won't be using aurora. Unless you are trying to rate arbitrage, which ain't worth the time and trouble. :):):)
No one is listening. I keep asking the same question. The question is.

WHAT is Tesla going to charge in Illinois with the different power companies here charging different rates in different cities? That's simple.

I am going to use all of the superchargers.

No one is listening. I keep asking the same question. The question is.

WHAT is Tesla going to charge in Illinois with the different power companies here charging different rates in different cities? That's simple.

I am going to use all of the superchargers.

Just one click away from the link I already provided.

Tesla is committed to ensuring that Supercharger will never be a profit center.

Illinois

$0.15 per kWh

Just one click away from the link I already provided.
Finally... a number.

$0.15 is far above the average of what we pay ComEd per kwh in Chicago.

Here are our running monthly prices so far this year. There hasn't even been a $0.035 /kWh month yet.

comed.png

I wonder if this price difference exists across the US....... I don't have a problem with it - I'm just wondering.

Last edited:
You're paying residential rates. Tesla is paying commercial rates. Also there's no way that 2.8 cents/kWh is all you are paying. There's got to be other fees. What do you get if you take the total of your monthly bills for the past year and divide by the total kWh used over the year? That's the only way to see through utilities opaque pricing. I would be extremely surprised if it was less than 10 cents/kWh.

Finally... a number.

Here are our running monthly prices so far this year. There hasn't even been a $0.035 /kWh month yet.

View attachment 242428
You have to add in all of the distribution and delivery charges and access fees to get to comparable number. 0.15 is pretty much par for non-TOU Illinois costs.

Last edited:
You're paying residential rates. Tesla is paying commercial rates. Also there's no way that 2.8 cents/kWh is all you are paying. There's got to be other fees. What do you get if you take the total of your monthly bills for the past year and divide by the total kWh used over the year? That's the only way to see through utilities opaque pricing. I would be extremely surprised if it was less than 10 cents/kWh.
Its difficult for me to calculate because of my solar panels. I haven't had to pay a bill in 4 years. I don't have any distribution fees or taxes or anything because that's all based on how many kWh you use. I don't use any...so I don't have any charges.

Let me correct the above statement. I do have a $3.35 delivery charge that is wiped out because of the overage I am producing and pushing back into the grid.

Even when I was paying an electric bill....my taxes and fees weren't triple my kWh usage. I'm looking at a bill now from 2010 online.

Last edited:
Its difficult for me to calculate because of my solar panels. I haven't had to pay a bill in 4 years. I don't have any distribution fees or taxes or anything because that's all based on how many kWh you use. I don't use any...so I don't have any charges.

Let me correct the above statement. I do have a $3.35 delivery charge that is wiped out because of the overage I am producing and pushing back into the grid.

Even when I was paying an electric bill....my taxes and fees weren't triple my kWh usage. I'm looking at a bill now from 2010 online.
Supply charge in Illinois is typically 5 to 8 cents. Transmission and delivery plus taxes etc will just about double that. I do not know where you are getting your comed chart... where is that from?

Supply charge in Illinois is typically 5 to 8 cents. Transmission and delivery plus taxes etc will just about double that. I do not know where you are getting your comed chart... where is that from?
Live Prices | ComEd's Hourly Pricing Program

I am a part of their rtpp pricing program. That way you are billed on hourly pricing which for me would be tremendously lower than normal daily average pricing. I've convinced just about everyone that I know to become a part of that program ( that they don't advertise much ).

I am a part of their rtpp pricing program. That way you are billed on hourly pricing which for me would be tremendously lower than normal daily average pricing. I've convinced just about everyone that I know to become a part of that program ( that they don't advertise much ).
Yes good program but also includes demand charges, another "hidden" fee.

I don't think you are comparing apples to apples with Tesla's SC rate. You need to compare a fully loaded residential rate not just supply rate.

Regardless, with your solar setup, given that you are already producing more than you use, why would you ever use a local supercharger?

Yes good program but also includes demand charges, another "hidden" fee.

I don't think you are comparing apples to apples with Tesla's SC rate. You need to compare a fully loaded residential rate not just supply rate.

Regardless, with your solar setup, given that you are already producing more than you use, why would you ever use a local supercharger?
I would use it if its the same price as my home electricity rates....because I'm sure I will exhaust the extra energy I'm putting back into the grid with my Model 3.... maybe. We will see.

I'm certainly going to use up anything that is FREE at the Super Charger. Like the first 400kWh or something like that. I can't remember what Tesla is offering for free.

Finally... a number.

View attachment 242428

I wonder if this price difference exists across the US....... I don't have a problem with it - I'm just wondering.

Irony? We dream of .15 cent electricity in the Fatherland of the EV. We can hit .12 at night, but only residential, not for commercial EV charging.

In Kalifornia where we only eat Free Range Holistic Tofu and cockroaches are on the Endangered Species List (or we could 'remove' our state officials).
Where Uncle Jerry wants one and a half million EV's by 2025.
The Birthplace of CARB, the inventor of the gas can that dumps gas on the ground.
The state that want to secede from the Union because we fear the White House is installing CO2 generators in the Rose Garden.

So to assist those plans, Uncle Jerry let industrial electricity go up again. In EcoLand, the CPUC controls electric prices. The CPUC falls under Jerry's command, he staffs it. He allowed them to also charge you for installing solar. And allowed the EV rebate to effectively stop, and stalled the EV DCFC corridors. But don't be too hard on Jerry, he has an excuse.

Uncle Jerry missed the tariff increase meeting, he was out polar bear hunting with Big Al Gore. They almost starved when they ran out off baby seal meat. You'd think they'd be good at clubbin' but apparently not. They were nice and warm with their supply of whale oil.

OK, enough hyperbole. No, there won't be 1.5m EVs in Cali if Jerry and Friends can avoid it. And the rest was also humor.

Facts:

Under the new CPUC July tarriffs: For 7050 kWh I paid $1963 just now for 480v 3ph. It's not really $0.28/kWh, you just pay $0.28/kWh due to the new TOU-PDSC tariff structure (Time Of Use Peak Demand Sex Crime plan). They do not send you flowers the next day. DNA swabs are not needed, you've known perp for many years.

Now if I would have plugged in a 10kW EV charger at 2pm on July 5th, my bill would have increased $173.20 plus how much electric it actually charged. If it charged 1/2 a kWh, ~$173.30, or $346.60 / kWh. Because that was peak demand hour for the month. Each kW of monthly Peak Demand, measured in 15 min intervals, is $17.32. So adding 10kW at my peak hour for the month would be $173.20 more, plus whatever power the device used.

So, other than outlaw EVs outright, Jerry has done pretty much everything he can as governor to stop EVs. And you thought Donny The TV Host was a D*ck. At least Donny hasn't tried to stop EVs.

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Irony? We dream of .15 cent electricity in the Fatherland of the EV...

In Kalifornia where we only eat Free Range Holistic Tofu and cockroaches are on the Endangered Species List

No, there won't be 1.5m EVs in Cali if Jerry and Friends can avoid it...

Facts:

Under the new CPUC July tarriffs: For 7050 kWh I paid $1963 just now for 480v 3ph.

My July single family homes electric consumption was about 600 kWh for the month, and I over generated about 2x that amount as a gift to my neighbors. With net metering, and my solar panels, my monthly bill has been about $10.71 total every month for the last 18 months.

You choose to live in a 5,654 sqft home in the desert with electric heated towel warmers, a basketball court sized electric sauna, and no solar panels.

Heres a novel thought: Lifestyle choices can impact your expenses! A little downsizing goes a long way. :D

RT

My July single family homes electric consumption was about 600 kWh for the month, and I over generated about 2x that amount as a gift to my neighbors. With net metering, and my solar panels, my monthly bill has been about $10.71 total every month for the last 18 months.

You choose to live in a 5,654 sqft home in the desert with electric heated towel warmers, a basketball court sized electric sauna, and no solar panels.

Heres a novel thought: Lifestyle choices can impact your expenses! A little downsizing goes a long way. :D

RT

Exactly what else are you proposing I do to reduce my electric costs? I sure as hell reduced the crap outta consumption even though we produced 12% more work over last year.

I reduced my monthly consumption from July 2016 to July 2017 by ~1500 kWh. In a month.
It is 8,000 sq ft and 4,000 sq ft is temperature controlled laboratory with 23 computers all with CAD monitors. Temperatures must remain at 68-72°F 24/7/365. We work on heart valves and aircraft components among other things. We verify they are manufactured correctly. All measurements must be taken in this temp range because parts change size based on temperature.

How the HECK did I remove 1500 kWh per month without killing people?

Thousands of dollars of LED lighting. Better air pressure controls. Reprogramming the air compressor cycle window, replacing the largest 208v AC with a new tech 480v heat pump, increasing insulation, new low energy computers, etc, etc.

I'm in the process of installing 19,840w CEC-AC of solar PV. Total weight, >12,600lb. Annual output 30+ megawatt-hours? Plus putting reflective coating on roof (what is holding us up) for more heat rejection.

We run 3 EV's daily. Cargo work truck is high efficiency diesel. All home lighting is LED. Double panes, smart thermostats, no AC/Heat in garage, just R22 and attic fans, and that works great.

What did all that do? Raise my electric bill. CPUC stopped LED incentives and I was told I didn't qualify for incentives on the $7,000 heat pump.

Lighting consumption before: 5,450w. After LED conversion? >2,600w and now our desktop lux are >10% higher. Some critical areas are past 1000 lux.

BUT THE BIGGEST ENERGY SAVER - I moved both my house and my business to a location that reduced my employee distances to work, and I can walk to work if I want. That cost a lot more.

Last edited:
I get what you are saying, however what I'm asking is this:

If one power company charges .02 kwh and the other charges .12 per kwh - IN THE SAME STATE......what is Tesla going to charge? .33 per kwh?

Is Tesla supposed to be competitive?
From what I've heard Telsa will just charge you whatever their cost was for electricity. I think their goal is just to pass on their cost and not make any profit.

Finally... a number.

View attachment 242428

I think you need to look more closely at your monthly bill.

I'm also on RRTP and also have solar. As others have already pointed out, the effective marginal per-kWh price is much higher than $0.035/kWh. That number is only the energy supply portion.

Even if you exclude the monthly capacity charge (which you shouldn't), your actual average marginal price is probably no lower than 8 cents. And it's probably higher depending on your usage patterns.

From what I've heard Telsa will just charge you whatever their cost was for electricity. I think their goal is just to pass on their cost and not make any profit.
Yeah, I read that, however I'm just going to have to trust them because I can't rationalize their pricing.

I'm getting a Model 3. Maybe I will just not use any supercharging outside of the free KWH's they provide.

I would use it if its the same price as my home electricity rates....because I'm sure I will exhaust the extra energy I'm putting back into the grid with my Model 3.... maybe. We will see.

I'm certainly going to use up anything that is FREE at the Super Charger. Like the first 400kWh or something like that. I can't remember what Tesla is offering for free.

ANNNND there's the problem! Instead of conveniently charging at your home for a couple of dollars, you'd rather drive to a Supercharger and sit for a half-hour instead of giving up a "freebie"? It's that attitude which encourages Tesla to only put Superchargers at inconvenient locations on the outskirts of cities.
I hope you can use the time you spend (yes, time has a cost!) at the Superchargers calculating your total cost per mile, including depreciation, you spent to get the "free" electricity. I'm reminded of the folks who drive ten miles each way to save a dollar or two on some back-to-school items, completely ignoring their costs to "save."
Perhaps the lovely winter weather in Chicago will incentivize you to stay home and charge.
We enjoy nice weather in Arizona and actually have a Supercharger about 8 miles from home but never use it even though free and unlimited; our "free time" is too valuable to sit at a Supercharger when it is just so much more convenient to charge at home for a couple of dollars. I think that was the attitude Tesla had in mind when they offered free Supercharging, mostly for long-distance trips.