TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone perform a J-Turn in a Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by palmer_md, Jul 24, 2014.

1. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

#1 palmer_md, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I've seen it done in a Leaf and a Roadster, but so far I've not come across any examples in a Model S. I'm sure it can be done, just not found the video yet.

A quick youtube search and I get this...

2. green1

green1 Active Member

#2 green1, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Your first example is a "reverse flick" and not a "J turn" The second example you posted has a "doughnut" in the middle and then a "J turn" near the end. The doughnut and J turn are both most easily accomplished with the handbrake, though you can do them by any method that get's the back end to lose traction and spin out.
    The Model S doesn't have a handbrake, it has a parking brake, you wouldn't have the control to do it safely or properly with the parking brake in the Model S.
    The "reverse flick" can be accomplished in any vehicle, while driving backwards at a reasonable speed (30-40km/hr) turn the wheel a quarter turn one way, just enough to feel the car start to unbalance that direction, and then quickly a half turn the other way, you'll find yourself quickly facing the other direction. I'd recommend doing it in a very large, and very open parking lot the first time you try it!

3. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

#3 EarlyAdopter, Jul 24, 2014
    A J turn is a reverse flick (reversing 180). The first example, with the Leaf, is most definitely a J turn.

The example with the Roadster near the end is a modified bootleg turn (forward 180)

Back to the OP's question - I've done a bootleg turn in my Model S with the traction control disabled on a wet figure 8 skidpad. I was a bit surprised as I hadn't pulled the fuse so stability control, which is different than traction control and can't be disabled from the center console, was still enabled and I would have thought it would have intervened. It was fun.

The only video I've seen close to what you're asking for is this one (with that fuse pulled)

4. green1

green1 Active Member

My mistake. .. I got confused, either way, only one of those two videos shows one, I was just wrong about which. .. :redface:
    As I said though, a reverse flick j turn can be done in a Tesla I'm sure. It's the hand brake turn that doesn't work so well in a model s

5. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

#5 EarlyAdopter, Jul 24, 2014
    Road and Track also did a nice burnout donut: