Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone planning to keep their Model X for over 10 years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep hearing about warranty extensions every 4 years and battery replacements in 8 years as an alternative to buying a new car. Do you think the interior will hold out, or will you have a coffee can full of coins rattling around in there? At these prices I think it's a question worth asking.

I plan to keep my X for 20+ years. Not sure about the interior holding up yet, as I haven't inspected the build very closely. Otherwise, I may upgrade the battery after 15 years (depending on circumstances). By then, they may have gel batteries that have an infinite lifespan.

The battery will initially slowly lose a little range, but it should stabilize. Even after 20 years, the battery may drop from an initial range of 250 miles to 200 miles. May still be perfectly fine for most people's needs and not require replacement. The battery typically doesn't die completel, and if it does, it's probably either due to a significant accident or a flaw replaceable under warranty.

A Tesla EV (electric motor) is actually much more simple than an ICE vehicle with thousands of moving parts, oil lines, coolant lines, exhaust lines, spark plugs, etc. I'd expect less to go wrong and longevity to be better than ICE. The only unknown is all those extra motors in the Model-X...that may be a bit of a pain 20 years from now, but only time will tell.

Reactions: Jon and jeffaa
Most likely, we tend to hold cars for a while.

Our trade-in for the X is a 14 year old car and the car I'm likely trading in for a 3 will be around 14 years old when the time comes. Unless something changes, I'd expect to have it for 10-15 years.

Thanks for the replies, we're hoping as well to keep our 'yet to arrive Model X 90D' for 10+ years with warranty extensions and maybe battery upgrades. Let's hope they over-engineered interior parts to last. My 2011 Merc E350 drivers seat has a torn seam and the whole command control radio unit needed replacing. Fingers crossed on the Tesla.

Keep hearing about warranty extensions every 4 years and battery replacements in 8 years as an alternative to buying a new car. Do you think the interior will hold out, or will you have a coffee can full of coins rattling around in there? At these prices I think it's a question worth asking.
I was planning to keep my early model S for 10 years but just traded it in for X. I was still extremely happy with the car, no real issues with it and extremely depressed when it left however all the new features that were not available (D models, parking assist, rear seat heater power side vie mirrors,AP,lte,list goes on ). Cars depreciate a lot with all this new technology advancing. suspect full autonomy won't be out for about 4 years and wouldn't want to get immediately anyway

I'm hoping for 10+ years on mine. Our current family vehicle is 7+ years old, and 115k miles. It has had problems with O2 sensors that prevent remote start from working. We could probably get it fixed (for far cheaper than an X), but they've already tried a few times to no avail. Besides that it was and still is a solid vehicle, that I'll be sad to see go. But electric, here we come!

We just sold our 2006 Mercedes ML 280 CDI and replacing it with our new Model X. I would expect that the Model X would last as long as the Mercedes. The 8 years warranty on battery and drive unit definitely adds on that. Where the Mercedes only had a 2 years warranty from 2006 until 2008. Making it a really expensive car at the end...

This is also why we went for the standard seating and not the leather seats. Our experience from now more than 2 years as driving two different Model S where one had leather and the second not. We decided to go with the standard seats as they lasts longer and have a better quality in my opinion.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would ever in my lifetime, purchase such an expensive vehicle. Do I plan on keeping it for 10+ years? I plan on being buried in it.

As far as keeping the interior looking good as long as possible. The sun is your worst enemy. Keep your X garaged. Whenever you go out, make sure all windows are tinted well and you put a full coverage, solid sunshade up whenever it is parked outside. Buy a car cover. If you plan on driving your X to work and keeping it in a parking lot for 8 hours, then use the car cover. Not only does it protect the interior, but it protects the paint, and helps to deter thieves. Leather needs natural oils replenished. Apply Lexol (or a comparable product) to your leather twice a year, or depending on your vehicle usage, more often than that. Apply tempered glass protectors over the two screens. This will eliminate possible scratches, and provide protection from an accidental impact to the screens. Keep your vehicle vacuumed to eliminate dust from floating around and collecting in the headliner (which can make it look very dingy).

If you do those things, you stand a very good chance of having your vehicle look like new for several years before it even starts to show any wear whatsoever. I'm sure you could have this done weekly by a professional, though I wouldn't want to know how much that would cost. I've always done it myself, and whenever I've sold my vehicles, every buyer has always commented that the interior looks, and smells like it was never sat in; so that has never been as important to me as it is now with my X.