Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone planning to lift the Y, add big tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning a white/white Y for my wife. She wants beefier tires and a lift. I’m curious if anyone is planning this. Don’t know if there is any legwork that can be done ahead of time to prepare myself or a shop to do this. Other vehicles we have done this to have had lift kits and lots of prior experience. Or they were platforms already used in other vehicles/countries. Toyota FJ, Lexus GX460, 4runner for example. Briefly looked at doing it to my MX90, but that didn’t go far. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Would like to see it but probably wouldn't unless there was a proper kit. There are adaptive suspensions setups like on the Jeep Grand that allow large variations, that makes the most sense to me. Would be nice to get smaller wheels on it too.

The OP is presuming the Model Y doesn't have some kind of suspension height option.

They'd get some pushback if the Y has similar ground clearance to the 3 (some people estimate 6" instead of 5.5" from analyzing photos) without any option to change.
Of course, that never stopped Tesla from doing anything....

Going to put on some spinners too? :)
Yes I know there are some valid reasons for wanting it lifted it certain cases, however I live in an area where I think 95% of the people who lift their SUV/Trucks do so because they think it looks cool, not any practical reason. Probably jumping the gun a little as they haven't even released width and height let alone ground clearance numbers yet. I'm sure the Y is going to be a huge seller, so there will eventually be tons of options.

I think that would kill the CV joints. Lifts on vehicles with a center transfer case/ differential are easier because the front and read axle/ differential assembly can move as a unit and the distance from the center to end diffs is longer (varies by vehicle of course). With the hard mounted drive units, the lift is going to put a continuous angle on the half shafts and extend them. This was part of the reason for restricting the air suspension range when driving on other Tesla.

Doesn't seem useful. This isn't a body-on-frame off-roader like a 4runner, it's essentially a hatchback/station wagon.
Most of the time 5" ground clearance is plenty. But every once in a while it would be great to have 10-12", not for serious off road/rock crawling or high speeds, just for beat up forest service roads that occasion bad sections. Great for snow too. There's a FS road I drive that is snow covered 9mo a year. For 99% of it you could probably take model 3 on it if it had better tires, I've even seen minivans up there, but there is one section about 20ft long where you need 8-10" clearance not to scrape bottom.
I think that would kill the CV joints. Lifts on vehicles with a center transfer case/ differential are easier because the front and read axle/ differential assembly can move as a unit and the distance from the center to end diffs is longer (varies by vehicle of course). With the hard mounted drive units, the lift is going to put a continuous angle on the half shafts and extend them. This was part of the reason for restricting the air suspension range when driving on other Tesla.
Whatever happened to that thing Subaru had back in the 90's where you can just manually jack things up with a crank under the hood. That seemed like a great idea. I'm guessing it cut into SUV sales.

Last edited:
With the strong commonality to the 3, this 1.75" lift kit should be compatible. If not, I'd guess they'd make one for the Y.
MPP 1.75″ Suspension Lift Kit

Instead of 255/50R18, there are many good options in 255/55R18 or 235/60R18. This provides an extra 0.5" of clearance as well. Both would raise it from ~6" to about 8" and give it more of a Subaru Crosstrek vibe.

This seems pretty doable. Downsides are a 10-25% range hit (depending on tire size/compound), possibly higher CV joint wear, a 3-4% speedometer error, marginally slower acceleration, less sharp turn-in and more body roll in turns. Adjustable suspension links may be desirable to get the alignment in spec, but probably not required.

I own lifted nissan rogue sport with K02 off road tires and my wife loves it, but cmon, no one is going to do it to a tesla :) even if someone does that will cost arm and leg, it will heavily impact range for sure. If you can do it, let us know, I'll be super happy to see it :)
Lifted Model X :p

Attachments

• model-x-offroad-4.jpg
    model-x-offroad-4.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 2,780