TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone planning to Test Drive?

Discussion in 'New England' started by mikevbf, Jun 23, 2012.

1. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

Without a test drive location in New England, anyone planning to travel to New York or elsewhere for this cycle of test drives?

2. hj-45

hj-45 Member

Definitely making the 4.5 to 5 hour drive from NH for an opportunity to drive the car. I am content waiting until delivery, but my wife is determined to have a little more hands on before handing over the money. Hope the location gets anounced soon and it is not actually in NYC. Monticello would be nice.

Monticello Motor Club

3. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I might -- though the test drive dates for NYC are likely within 1-2 weeks of my delivery. My reason for going would be more about seeing other configurations and hanging out with Tesla staff :smile:

4. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Considering it, but I'm up in Maine for the summer, more or less, and that's >6 hours to White Plains (where I'm assuming the test drives will be). Now that my wife is using constructs like, "When is the Tesla coming?" rather than "If you get the Tesla, ...", I think I'll just bother @cinergi for a spin in his.:tongue:

5. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

:biggrin: You and and lots of others around me, I'm sure! And I'm more than happy to oblige!

6. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Okay, I've got to get my wife to that point!
    Fortunately our test drive location is only 15 minutes from where we live. One of the first ones on the wait list.

7. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

#7 mitch672, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
    I put my deposit in today, so I can test drive the Model S in 3 weeks in NY. I was quoted an estimated delivery of "Spring 2013", which is fine since I recently bought a 2012 Plug in Prius. The 12-15 mile EV range is such a tease :), though i am getting excellent MPG. I passed on my Leaf order, need a "single car" solution, 73 mile ideal highway range didn't cut it, especially in New England (heater use, horrible traffic & weather)

Mitch

P.S. awaiting the email from Tesla hoping there are some test drive slots still open

8. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

We are test driving in Gaithersburg, MD next weekend. We had already planned a trip to see the O's play a couple of games and then the offer to test drive nearby came out yesterday. It will be great to drive the car before our supposed delivery in August!

9. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

I am looking forward to your impressions especially since you are a seasoned roadster owner. One would hope you would get your delivery in or before August if there is any chance Tesla is going to meet its 5000 car delivery goal for 2012.

10. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

I think August is realistic. They said they sent our order to the factor a week or 2 ago (held up due to changes when some trim offerings were no longer available). I will let you know. We are SS#64, so you'd think it would be August or September at the latest.

11. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

The invites for the NY test drives happening 7/20-7/22 are going out tomorrow.
    The test drive is happening in Mahwah, NJ actually. I plan on making the trip if I
    get in.

12. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

I think we will get in... Rumor is they will have 10 Model S at the event, each test drive is only 8 minutes, figure they can get 6 test drives/hour per car in, if they go for 7 hours of test drives each day (an hour for lunch, and to recharge the cars, plus they will recharge at the end of the day as well), that's 42 per car per day * 3 days, so 126 test drives per car, if they have 10 cars, and none of them break or have issues, that would add up to 1260 test drives for the event, that sounds like plenty to go around.

13. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Never got my invite although on the other thread I see some people did...

14. Robert.Boston

You should have, assuming you have a reservation. Call your Tesla rep today!

15. hj-45

hj-45 Member

Still waiting. Assuming next wave of emails will be going out once CA goes to work.

16. Robert.Boston

My error -- I haven't gotten a NY invite, either. I got the invite for earlier round on July 4.

17. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

P2540 - got the NY invite email at 5pm-ish. Signed up for Saturday at 2pm-ish.

/Ed

18. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Yep, me too. Saturday 2-3PM, nice!

19. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

#19 ToddRLockwood, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    I had a terrific test drive yesterday at the Roosevelt Field Mall store in Garden City, NY. I flew into JFK and took a 30 minute cab ride to the mall. It was on a Sunday, which I recommend, so the traffic was minimal. One of the ironies of this test drive was passing long lines of cars waiting to buy gas. Eventually, we came to State Police road block, due to flooding along the coast. The troopers were fascinated by the Model S, and the Tesla store manager who was with me invited them to visit the mall for a ride.

I'd already seen a Model S up close, but this was my first chance to drive one. It was a black/black Performance model. The car's feel on the road reminded me of a Ferrari 456GT I owned for seven years, except that the Model S was quieter, smoother and much faster! The store also had a pearl Model S on the floor, which convinced me that pearl is the color I want. Beautiful metallic glow!