Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone polish their car with light cutting compound or finish polish?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This brings up another question I have. I have my 3 fully wrapped on the front, but since the car was brand new (and I was pushing my budget already) they didn’t do any paint correction on the front.

Did you have any paint correction before PPF was applied?

If not, do you notice any difference with light cutting and/or polish on the rest of the car? I don’t plan to go real heavy, just enough to remove swirls and then a finish polish, but I don’t want the front to look different from the rest of the car :p

I figure in motion and possibly to the untrained eye they wouldn’t notice, but it would drive me insane.

Example of what needs corrected
View attachment 533165

I did a paint correction BEFORE PPF. You can't do it after...at least not to the factory clear. The light scratches you showed should be easily removed (probably not with a finish polish though) as long as that portion isn't trapped under PPF. I wasn't quite sure based on your comment/question.

Regarding the handles -- yeah, of course you can polish them as well. However, since the handles are metal you may need to use a stronger compound and you also may need to make sure to polish the whole handle evenly as unevenness in the polishing will show. I, like many, simply had my handles wrapped as part of chrome delete so didn't bother polishing them. However, there were some swirls and what not around the handle simply because hands and what not rub against the paint there if you aren't careful.

This brings up another question I have. I have my 3 fully wrapped on the front, but since the car was brand new (and I was pushing my budget already) they didn’t do any paint correction on the front.

Did you have any paint correction before PPF was applied?

If not, do you notice any difference with light cutting and/or polish on the rest of the car? I don’t plan to go real heavy, just enough to remove swirls and then a finish polish, but I don’t want the front to look different from the rest of the car :p

I figure in motion and possibly to the untrained eye they wouldn’t notice, but it would drive me insane.

Example of what needs corrected
View attachment 533165

The initial before/after pic I posted was the correction I did before PPF was applied. The small circles and pic above should easily came out. Not all polishes are the same..so I can’t speak for what you might be using. But you could probably take care of that and be happy with just a finishing polish. Start with the finishing polish and go from there.

The trouble spots I posted are not under PPF. It’s near the door handles and one or two spots on the trunk hood. The paint otherwise looks factory new... which is to say not glowing, but not micro scratched up or anything.

Full front has PPF (bumper, full hood, side fenders back to the start of the front doors, mirrors), full pillar from hood back to the trunk body panel, rocker panels, and right behind rear wheels. All was applied approximately 10 days after delivery and with less than 100 miles on the car. I didn’t even wash it before taking it to them. BUT, like I said, they didn’t do paint correction, just a good wash and then PPF.

Still the front doesn’t look too bad. (Just a foam cannon soak, power washer wash, and then gloss enhancer).

6345B7A8-AEBD-4478-8431-572618A852F8.jpeg

Hey all - to bump this thread and ask a new question.

I have a Porter Cable 7424XP, and I'm thinking I'm going to give some of the fine clear coat swirls/scratches some fixing up, since I've had the car a year now. You know, the kind of swirls/scratches you can only see when the light hits it just right (black paint, ugh!).

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X413M7J/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

And then follow up with a nice coat of wax.

I'm not really sure which pads work with my Porter Cable 7424XP, or which one I want (!!), and I'm very new to all this, having never used my polisher before.

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE...words=porter+cable+7424&qid=1588550500&sr=8-1

Any tips? Thanks!

You should get a backing plate for your PC7424. A 5" hook and loop one should work fine. You will want a few 6" pads. White should be fine if you only want to do a very mild polish...I tend to like orange. Lake County is a solid brand. Megs ultimate polish is fine for very light correction and to bring out gloss. It may not be aggressive enough for your needs but is a good place to start.

Using a random orbital isn't hard, but can be annoying. The PC is vibrates quite a bit and is loud. Wear ear protection. Tape up all rubber/mouldings on your car to avoid polish sling and also discoloration from polish accumulation. Watch a few youtube videos for how to use a PC7424XP and do a test spot first. Even better if you can practice on another car.

If you can spend a bit more on the polisher, consider a Griot's or Flex. I have a PC and Flex and now only use the PC for very small areas with a 2 or 3" backing plate (don't remember). There are better than the Flex such as Rupes but the budget increases significantly and isn't worth it if you are just doing your personal car(s).

Finally, after the polish I'd personally move past a traditional wax. The world has evolved. Consider a good sealant (Sonax Polymer Net Shield, Gyeon Can Coat, Turtle Wax has an OTC one, etc.). Or, even better, get it polished real nice and consider a ceramic coat like Optimum Opti Gloss Coat.

Also, before you do all this polishing, make sure to give the car a very thorough wash, decontaminate with an iron remover, clay, and then polish. Yes, it is all a lot of work but its kinda what it takes....

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Lots of helpful video tutorials on Youtube on car polishing for beginners, such as:

My advice would be to take your time to educate yourself first before you use the DA polisher for the first time. Although it is easy once you get the hang of it, there are lots of variables that effect the final result.

The most important rule is to always start with the least aggressive polish and pad combo that can get the job done. If you are not sure, it is a good idea to tape off a small test area on the hood or trunk and see if the polish/pad combo works on that small area before you do the entire car.

You can also practice first on someone else's car or, if you really want to get your technique down first, you can go to a junkyard and get an old hood or fender and practice on that before even touching your Tesla.

Have fun and good luck!