Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone purchase an ICE after your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. 2021 AWD Model 3.

I understand that if you're active on this forum, chances are good you love your Model 3, kept it, swear by it, etc. I've owned mine for over 1 year and after my 5th Tesla service appointment (for a whirring, buzzing gear grinding kinda noise taking place under my infotainment system. So random that service turned me around until I can replicate the issue in the moment. Videos not good enough. I understand.), I'm sort of kicking tires on taking advantage of the high resale value and going back to ICE in it's place.

I say kicking tires because I'm only half serious. Dirt cheap fuel costs, dirt cheap insurance (through Tesla), $50 five year reg (no longer the case in AZ), no fluid changes, and for the straight line performance it offers, this is a very difficult car to replace. Drivetrain is still a dream. I wont dwell on it but the quality control on my car, and for 52k out the door (higher now), is bad.

Right now the resale value is around $59k. That'd be a $7k profit for me. I'm screwing around and building configs for a 22 Camaro SS 1LE, 22 Kona N, 22 Elantra N. The Camaro will knock me back at $52k but the Elantra and Kona are priced under $40k.

Have any of you bought an ICE after buying your Tesla? Do you regret it, not regret it? Did you do it for a specific purpose? Share your stories!

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
I say that if you are making money on it, do it, that is why I got the Model 3P in fact.

However, I would question what you are looking for in a car. Is it just a standard point A to B vehicle? If so, then those cars satisfy that requirement, but so do their base variants. Or are you looking for a more engaging driving experience? Then I do not think that any of the cars you mentioned will satisfy that itch.

Have any of you bought an ICE after buying your Tesla? Do you regret it, not regret it? Did you do it for a specific purpose? Share your stories!

How about driving back-to-back, not just buying?
I have 1 EV and 2 ICE vehicles in my garage. Might flip that ratio around next year, or not. I would not recommend owning a Tesla without having a backup vehicle, net of the growing service appointment delays to north of 4 weeks in my area.

I do regularly drive EV vs. ICE, back-to-back. Each category of vehicles has its advantages.
If your circumstances warrant a different vehicle, or you can only accommodate 1 car in your garage, then moving to any vehicle brand other than a Tesla (EV or ICE) should be given a serious consideration.

HTH,
a

Reactions: 1LE McQueen
I say that if you are making money on it, do it, that is why I got the Model 3P in fact.

However, I would question what you are looking for in a car. Is it just a standard point A to B vehicle? If so, then those cars satisfy that requirement, but so do their base variants. Or are you looking for a more engaging driving experience? Then I do not think that any of the cars you mentioned will satisfy that itch.

I used to own a Veloster N and 14 Camaro SS 1LE. The road feel on both of those cars were spot on. Model 3 has a floatier feel, but it was the best all around car to get.

Ya'll are gonna laugh at me. I have a 7 month old daughter, hence the Kona N and Elantra N consideration LOL but at heart i'm a sports car, Camaro Mustang kinda guy. We only have 1 car between the 2 of us (wife & I). It's incredibly stupid for me to even consider the Camaro, but the 2 door sports car with a massive V8 up front was like heaven to younger me. I'm curious how the newer ones feel.

Yes. A X5 45e, No regrets.

Needed a new S179 vehicle for the business and our P3D was freshly out of warranty.

1661289989795.jpeg

Reactions: 1LE McQueen
I used to own a Veloster N and 14 Camaro SS 1LE. The road feel on both of those cars were spot on. Model 3 has a floatier feel, but it was the best all around car to get.

Ya'll are gonna laugh at me. I have a 7 month old daughter, hence the Kona N and Elantra N consideration LOL but at heart i'm a sports car, Camaro Mustang kinda guy. We only have 1 car between the 2 of us (wife & I). It's incredibly stupid for me to even consider the Camaro, but the 2 door sports car with a massive V8 up front was like heaven to younger me. I'm curious how the newer ones feel.

I think its admirable that you didnt do the thing pretty much all modern american new parents do, and say "I got a kid, I have to get a SUV now....", but with that being said, I dont think I would suggest a camaro as the only car for a family with a very young child, unless their entire lifestyle was "walkable" and the car was basically a weekend toy only.

Doesnt mean you have to get a kona or elantra though, but if it were me, and I was in that situation, I would have kept my wifes X3 M40. Very good combination of practicality and size for carrying stuff, etc.

I guess it boils down to what the purpose is for the car.

While right now I only have my model 3 and my wifes model Y, I dont see any reason why someone should hesitate in getting another ICE vehicle if thats what they want. I dont think you would be happy going with an elantra though. It sounds like you would cry a little inside every time you got in it to drive it, kid or no.

Doesnt mean you need to keep the model 3, and also doesnt mean you should go with a 2 door sportscar either. Your desires is what birthed the entire "sports sedan" category. If I was going back to an ICE vehicle, I would probably get an M3 (the real one), like @afadeev has.

I think its admirable that you didnt do the thing pretty much all modern american new parents do, and say "I got a kid, I have to get a SUV now....", but with that being said, I dont think I would suggest a camaro as the only car for a family with a very young child, unless their entire lifestyle was "walkable" and the car was basically a weekend toy only.

Doesnt mean you have to get a kona or elantra though, but if it were me, and I was in that situation, I would have kept my wifes X3 M40. Very good combination of practicality and size for carrying stuff, etc.

I guess it boils down to what the purpose is for the car.

While right now I only have my model 3 and my wifes model Y, I dont see any reason why someone should hesitate in getting another ICE vehicle if thats what they want. I dont think you would be happy going with an elantra though. It sounds like you would cry a little inside every time you got in it to drive it, kid or no.

Doesnt mean you need to keep the model 3, and also doesnt mean you should go with a 2 door sportscar either. Your desires is what birthed the entire "sports sedan" category. If I was going back to an ICE vehicle, I would probably get an M3 (the real one), like @afadeev has.

I really appreciate all of the responses to this thread. It's reassuring to know i'm not the only one with these kinds of thoughts.

I would consider a Chevrolet SS, if Chevy still made them, and they were still the 4 door version of Camaro. Chargers aren't my style. I don't know too much about BMW but my father in law used to work on them. They're nice but I thought they were costly.

lol you hit the nail on the head. I really enjoyed the Veloster N but always felt it lacked punch for a performance vehicle. Elantra N & Kona N would lack punch too, compared to what i'm used to that is. They're fantastic cars otherwise with the framework in place for more power.

Right now the resale value is around $59k. That'd be a $7k profit for me. I'm screwing around and building configs for a 22 Camaro SS 1LE, 22 Kona N, 22 Elantra N. The Camaro will knock me back at $52k but the Elantra and Kona are priced under $40k.

Resell is great, fuel costs may once again get competitive with SuC based charging (for trips), but I sure wouldn't get a Camaro, SS 1LE flavor or not. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a domestic snob, I had 4 Vettes, 2 Mustangs, and our previous SUV was a DD/RT. Not to mention, I crossed shopped ZL1s both times before buying each of the aforementioned Mustang (convertible vs. convertible specifically).

Unless you're running a ton of weekend events, and you don't mind gymnastics to get your family in and out, it's not a great choice - especially as your only vehicle.

If you're into ICE again, want something that would really do good double duty, would be fun to tune, maybe something like an RS3 (that would be my choice). If I had a V8 itch, and wanted something that was very accomodating for a family, maybe a Challenger SRT widebody, sure, it's not in the same handling category as some of the other vehicles discussed, but they're roomy, fun, and on the street, handle plenty good.

Personally, I'm not going back. I've had a lot of vehicles, and the EV experience is just too good for my use case. My next car might not be a Tesla, but it for sure won't be an ICE.

RS3, black optics package, red stiching, tech package ... boom!

1661294095795.png

Last edited:
Resell is great, fuel costs may once again get competitive with SuC based charging (for trips), but I sure wouldn't get a Camaro, SS 1LE flavor or not. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a domestic snob, I had 4 Vettes, 2 Mustangs, and our previous SUV was a DD/RT. Not to mention, I crossed shopped ZL1s both times before buying each of the aforementioned Mustang (convertible vs. convertible specifically).

Unless you're running a ton of weekend events, and you don't mind gymnastics to get your family in and out, it's not a great choice - especially as your only vehicle.

If you're into ICE again, want something that would really do good double duty, would be fun to tune, maybe something like an RS3 (that would be my choice). If I had a V8 itch, and wanted something that was very accomodating for a family, maybe a Challenger SRT widebody, sure, it's not in the same handling category as some of the other vehicles discussed, but they're roomy, fun, and on the street, handle plenty good.

Personally, I'm not going back. I've had a lot of vehicles, and the EV experience is just too good for my use case. My next car might not be a Tesla, but it for sure won't be an ICE.

Thanks, I did need to be brought back to reality - no way I'd be able to fit the stroller in that tiny Camaro trunk. Even the 14's were really bad in trunk space.

Not sure about the challengers though I do appreciate they're bigger. Glad you said it, I would YouTube Hellcats just to listen to that supercharger wine. Such a stupid car, and i'm head over heals. They're very expensive though and still not all that practical. Gas mileage must be atrocious. So maybe an R/T scat pack with or without widebody could work?

Another option I had would be to keep the Model 3 until the warranty expired, then look at future EV offerings. Charger SRT Daytona got my heart pumping a little bit when I saw that design. Really like the Ioniq 6 N concept as well. But no way my Model3 will still be worth 60k, when those cars are finally available.

We used to be a 3 vehicle household (2018 LR RWD-mine, 2018 Honda Ridgeline AWD-wife, 2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD-legally mine). Last week my younger daughter went off to her final (?) semester of college and naturally took my Murano since she's been driving it after I bought it used in 2017. Last couple of years she has been attending classes online. Mostly because of COVID, but she decided she wanted to experience the live-on-campus life, plus she has the opportunity to TA for one of her professors. I rarely had to use the Murano as a backup for my 3; because nothing major has gone wrong with my car in the 4 years and 1.5 months I've had it. I think the only time I used the Murano over my own car was when I went skiing in Tahoe and even then, it wasn't like I had to take the Murano, I just wanted to.

I had my car for just over a year before I retired when I was 63 in 2019. The decision to retire was sort of forced at the time as the company disbanded our little group. I had intended to be working until I reached 67 or 68 but it is what it is. Since I'm not driving as much as I used to, I think we'll be okay with just two vehicles at home for the foreseeable future. At the moment, with a car that hasn't left me on the side of the road, nor repeatedly hit my wallet with repair costs (unlike my last car), I'd looking at my Tesla as the last car I'll buy.

What I'm leading up to is that family situations are all different. If I were in my 30s and had a new baby at home I'd have a "family" car instead of a sports car. Well, actually, that's not true. In my own case I had both in 1988 when my oldest daughter was 7 months old. A 1980 Mazda RX-7 (turbo) and a 1984 Mazda 626LX hatchback. A car to play in and another to haul the new family around. My RX-7 wasn't what you would call a dependable vehicle. I put on an aftermarket turbo some years earlier and had already blown the apex seals. The RX-7 would only last a couple more years before the engine let go again and that was that. It wouldn't be until 2000 until I got another sports car; a 2000 BMW 323i that I had until the 3 came along. Over the years, I basically drive my cars into the ground.

I can't say what the OP should or should not do as far as selling or not selling his M3 AWD. It sounds like the car is mechanically reliable in being able to transport people from place to place. If that's the case and there's still several years left on the warranty, if it were me, I'd keep it. The day-to-day operational costs of a Tesla should beat any ICE out there. If it's financially possible, maybe a good quality used vehicle can take the place as the "family" car? I wouldn't go as far as saying get a minivan (guilty: we had both a Dodge Caravan and Honda Odyssey over the years) but a nice sedan can do.

I think the EV options are going to
Thanks, I did need to be brought back to reality - no way I'd be able to fit the stroller in that tiny Camaro trunk. Even the 14's were really bad in trunk space.

Not sure about the challengers though I do appreciate they're bigger. Glad you said it, I would YouTube Hellcats just to listen to that supercharger wine. Such a stupid car, and i'm head over heals. They're very expensive though and still not all that practical. Gas mileage must be atrocious. So maybe an R/T scat pack with or without widebody could work?

Another option I had would be to keep the Model 3 until the warranty expired, then look at future EV offerings. Charger SRT Daytona got my heart pumping a little bit when I saw that design. Really like the Ioniq 6 N concept as well. But no way my Model3 will still be worth 60k, when those cars are finally available.

Hey, I sit around doing speculative builds all the time too, that's more fun than the actual owning sometimes :D

Oh, totally sorry I meant the Charger, the 4-door, if you want roomy and convenient, that's the way to go. I like the design better, the retro thing on the Challenger doesn't do much for me. A Scat Pack Charger Widebody, with tech, safety a few other options is still under $60K, and Dodge will deal, heck, right now they're doing 0% finance for up to 72 months, and I bet you could still get $6K-8K off the MSRP.

I'm excited by what the EV market will look like when it's time for something new, in my case, around June '24, so just under 2 years. By then, I think I'll have a really wide range of options, and my hope is the charging infrastructure (here in the US) really improves for non-Tesla vehicles, between Tesla opening up their SuC network and expansion from EA, EVGo, manufacturers like GM and Ford committing to large build outs.

Like other people mentioned previously. I think given your situation that a 2-door sports car is probably not the best from a usability standpoint, especially considering that it would be your only car atm. I would probably consider the following options:

- BMW F80 M3
- BMW M340i
- Audi RS3
- Audi S3
- Audi A4 - S4
- Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport
- Mercedes Benz C300
- VW Golf GTI or R
- Civic Si or Type R (the new one looks sick imo)
- Lexus IS350 F Sport

Those are just the ones that came to mind. Also, if the Elantra N drives like the Veloster, then I think it could be a good option as well. Besides, I did not add any SUVs, but that would definitely be something to consider, given your situation, but I take it you are like me and you like sport cars more than sporty SUVs.

Like other people mentioned previously. I think given your situation that a 2-door sports car is probably not the best from a usability standpoint, especially considering that it would be your only car atm. I would probably consider the following options:

- BMW F80 M3
- BMW M340i
- Audi RS3
- Audi S3
- Audi A4 - S4
- Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport
- Mercedes Benz C300
- VW Golf GTI or R
- Civic Si or Type R (the new one looks sick imo)
- Lexus IS350 F Sport

Those are just the ones that came to mind. Also, if the Elantra N drives like the Veloster, then I think it could be a good option as well. Besides, I did not add any SUVs, but that would definitely be something to consider, given your situation, but I take it you are like me and you like sport cars more than sporty SUVs.
Condense that list to a AR Giulia Quad. Cheaper than an M, just as powerfull. Still a fun car, but it's got 4 doors.

Condense that list to a AR Giulia Quad. Cheaper than an M, just as powerfull. Still a fun car, but it's got 4 doors.
The reason why I did not mention the Giulia Quadrifoglio is that at first (I am not sure about the latest models), they were notoriously unreliable, many having engine problems and turning up as lemons. The 4cyl skips the troubles and is still quite fun for the price.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Hi everyone. 2021 AWD Model 3.

I understand that if you're active on this forum, chances are good you love your Model 3, kept it, swear by it, etc. I've owned mine for over 1 year and after my 5th Tesla service appointment (for a whirring, buzzing gear grinding kinda noise taking place under my infotainment system. So random that service turned me around until I can replicate the issue in the moment. Videos not good enough. I understand.), I'm sort of kicking tires on taking advantage of the high resale value and going back to ICE in it's place.

I say kicking tires because I'm only half serious. Dirt cheap fuel costs, dirt cheap insurance (through Tesla), $50 five year reg (no longer the case in AZ), no fluid changes, and for the straight line performance it offers, this is a very difficult car to replace. Drivetrain is still a dream. I wont dwell on it but the quality control on my car, and for 52k out the door (higher now), is bad.

Ice? only for my cooler. Having said that, before you get serious about any vehicle, check the actual stickers. My sister earlier this summer went thru hell trying to find a new vehicle for her son, graduating from college. Everything had been marked up, was pre-sold with deposits, etc. Of course, the World has changed a bit since then, which may have cooled the market a touch, but I just saw that tweet where a dealer in Texas had a customer sign a $6k NON-refundable deposit agreement to pay $90k over MSRP for a Corvette Z06. Insanity.
Corvette NON-refundable deposit
1661306739467.png

Ice? only for my cooler. Having said that, before you get serious about any vehicle, check the actual stickers. My sister earlier this summer went thru hell trying to find a new vehicle for her son, graduating from college. Everything had been marked up, was pre-sold with deposits, etc. Of course, the World has changed a bit since then, which may have cooled the market a touch, but I just saw that tweet where a dealer in Texas had a customer sign a $6k NON-refundable deposit agreement to pay $90k over MSRP for a Corvette Z06. Insanity.
Corvette NON-refundable deposit
View attachment 844347
Yeah that dealer backed the F down after the backlash and will accept list price.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC