Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone purchase an ICE after your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Caddy was making a really nice drivers car....right when most US buyers were like "I have 1 child, I need a 3 row SUV now" (lol).

Convincing the public that they "need" an SUV to haul their offspring around is possible the greatest money-making swindle of all time for the auto manufactuers, and has probably added a decade's worth of damage to the Earth's climate.

There's always the Celestiq if you have $350k lying around.

View attachment 844745
I've loved just about every photo I've seen of this thing. Too bad it costs about 3.5 Model S to buy, and dealer markups will probably add a 3 or two to that price.

Still, I can't wait to check it out when it hits the local Cadillac dealer, if they can get one that's not sold immediately.

Convincing the public that they "need" an SUV to haul their offspring around is possible the greatest money-making swindle of all time for the auto manufactuers, and has probably added a decade's worth of damage to the Earth's climate.

I've loved just about every photo I've seen of this thing. Too bad it costs about 3.5 Model S to buy, and dealer markups will probably add a 3 or two to that price.

Still, I can't wait to check it out when it hits the local Cadillac dealer, if they can get one that's not sold immediately.
Long time EV owner here, since 2012. But for me, if I was seriously considering a $350k vehicle, it would not be a Cadillac. This puts you in Bentley territory and delivers what I describe as an exquisite ride. If you want to add another $75k or so, you could even hit the Rolls price point. Yeah, they’re not EVs, yet, but just nothing on the road equates to them. IMO of course.

Reactions: santua
Back in 2019 I bought my first Model 3 LRAWD & acceleration boost. It was just my fun, let's see if this EV thing actually is all we've heard about car. I was hooked right then, the instant torque, smooth acceleration, and quiet won me over. We have since moved both my Ford F150 and my wife's Subaru WRX for a Model Y performance and 2022 Model 3 (updated from the 2019). I really can't see myself going back to ICE vehicles, unless I need something to haul a trailer long distances. That's the only space I can see an ICE vehicle fitting in at this time.

Reactions: GSP and tm1v2
Long time EV owner here, since 2012. But for me, if I was seriously considering a $350k vehicle, it would not be a Cadillac. This puts you in Bentley territory and delivers what I describe as an exquisite ride. If you want to add another $75k or so, you could even hit the Rolls price point. Yeah, they’re not EVs, yet, but just nothing on the road equates to them. IMO of course.
I kinda made up the $350k price. Rumors suggest it will "approach $300k." I just added $50k for options and theatrics.

But as crazy as it sounds, the Celestiq may actually approach Bentley/Rolls level quality. It's going to be hand built and Cadillac forecasts they will build just 1.2 cars per day/under 500 per year making it more exclusive than a Bentley/Rolls. Each will be a completely custom order, just as Bentley and RR orders.

I personally think it's ugly, especially in the rear.

Reactions: ODWms
I kinda made up the $350k price. Rumors suggest it will "approach $300k." I just added $50k for options and theatrics.

But as crazy as it sounds, the Celestiq may actually approach Bentley/Rolls level quality. It's going to be hand built and Cadillac forecasts they will build just 1.2 cars per day/under 500 per year making it more exclusive than a Bentley/Rolls. Each will be a completely custom order, just as Bentley and RR orders.

I personally think it's ugly, especially in the rear.
Sounds like they won't ever be at a dealership on display if they're all custom ordered. Someone in town might eventually buy one, as there is a doctor (I think he's a doctor) rolling around in a black McLaren and I've also seen a neon green Lamborghini Urus too. But neither of those are EVs.

I kinda doubt I'll get another ICE car after this. I've had too many headaches trying to make my previous cars fast, only for these electric cars to come around and blow them away right out of the box. Not to mention its way cheaper to own and operate.

Unless some other brand comes out with an all wheel drive, 0-60 ~3 second, 300+ range, ~$55k car.... Then I'll probly just be buying the next gen performance 3 which will hopefully have improved battery tech.

Would I get a gas sports car / fun car on the side? Yes I'd love to someday, space+time+money willing. Probably a BRZ or something like that. Small, light, tossable fun with a stick shift.

Would I replace our Model 3 with a gas car? Or buy any gas car again as a daily driver or family car? Hell no! I've no interest in that. The overall EV experience is just far superior in my opinion, for a daily driver and/or family car.

My wife and I have been EV only for many years, since we got our 2013 Model S P85 with our baby on the way. Last fall a life change meant we needed 2 cars going forward. So of course we considered EV + ICE combo, makes sense right? Well after test driving several nice, expensive, "luxury" ICE cars, and of course the latest EVs...it wasn't even close, the gas cars fell very flat compared to the EVs.

And when it comes time to replace our S P85, it will be with another EV, without question.

Model 3's handling comes alive after a suspension makeover. Our 2021 M3P handles absolutely fantastic now, world of difference from stock. Its handling is absolutely right up there with the very best sports sedans, or even better in many ways. The stock suspension really holds it back.
@tm1v2 I know you probably mentioned it on other threads, but what suspension package did you go with?

@tm1v2 I know you probably mentioned it on other threads, but what suspension package did you go with?
@DocHolliday Redwood Motorsports "Performance Sport" Öhlins DFV coilovers. MPP FLCA bearings. MPP compression rod inserts. Titan7 T-S5 18x8.5" ET35 forged wheels. Bridgestone Potenza Sport 245/45R18 300TW summer performance tires.

It's a daily driver and family car, shared with my wife. Focus is on real world handling over tight, twisty roads and nasty torn up pavement. No track days in this car. We do a lot of twisty rural road driving though, as well as urban city driving. Needed suspension and wheels that could handle it, without making the car too stiff, harsh, or low. Even my wife likes how this car drives more than our air suspension Model S now. (Model 3 could never replace the S for us though, not enough cargo capability.)

When opportunity allows I explore the car's limits around wide empty highway ramps and such. The balance, control, responsiveness, and overall feel is transformed vs stock. For sure I could get more grip with wider wheels+tires, camber arms, etc - but no need for my street driving. I do think the FLCA bearings played a significant role in improving mid-corner steering response, in addition to the coilovers of course.

Over rough twisty roads the transformation is just as stark. On such roads the stock suspension would lose control of the car before even reaching the limit of grip (on the mediocre stock tires no less), with its weight bouncing around completely out of sync with the turns and steering inputs, and it would crash *hard* into the bump stops coming out of big dips or such. Now that's all fixed. The car is supremely stable, responsive, and confidence-inspiring at all times over all kinds of roads. Combined with the car's quick steering ratio and instant electric motor response it's practically a weapon in the hills. Even over big dips and bumps where a Model 3 runs out of compression travel it's way smoother and better controlled than stock, practically oozing into the bump stops now, compared to the harshness it had stock.

The bounciness of the stock ride is also gone. The new suspension is definitely firmer, but less bouncy and not harsh. Drive fast over rough stuff and it's significantly smoother than stock, as well as handling worlds better. Drive slow over torn up urban roads and you can tell the stiffer springs for sure, but it's not harsh, rides just fine, think good sports sedan.

Wife seems to like 1/2 from stiff (16 of 32 clicks), zero complaints as driver or passenger on that setting. I like that setting too, great balance for daily driving, though I'll often stiffen it up to 1/3 from stiff (11 of 32 clicks from full stiff) if I'm doing a longer drive without her. Wife didn't like that setting though, as a driver she complained it responded *too* quickly to steering input (yes really!), and as a passenger she felt it was too firm over city roads. But moving to 16 clicks fixed all that for her, and it still handles great. Adjusting the dampers is quick and easy, no tools involved, for the fronts just pop the hood, and for the rear reach behind the wheel (no need to lift the car at all). Compression and rebound are adjusted together along a preset curve, so there's no messing it up, just pick how stiff or soft you like.

The car is everything I wanted it to be now, no further upgrades planned or needed for street use. Handles better than any ICE sports sedan or hot hatch I've ever driven, while having perfectly fine, wife-approved ride - she likes how it drives more than our air suspension Model S now. It surely won't compete with a Mercedes S class for smoothest limo ride, but the ride/handling balance is really excellent, if you actually take advantage of the handling as we do. The coilovers, FLCA bearings, wheels, and tires were all significant upgrades over the stock parts. The compression rod inserts I don't think make any difference in our driving normally, but in theory they could help in a panic stop (e.g. deer jumping out on a twisty rural road). The Model 3 could still use more suspension compression travel (I stayed with stock M3P height), and the Model 3 chassis isn't the stiffest by 2021 standards, but overall the car drives absolutely fantastic now.

I may try autocrossing it at some point, for which I'm sure I'll want the usual stuff - camber arms, extreme performance tires (maybe on wider wheels), aggressive brake pads, etc. And more bushing upgrades could of course make the handling even sharper and better at the limit. No need for any of that for street driving though.

Edit: If you *don't* push your car really hard, a softer suspension like the Redwood GT coilovers would probably make more sense, as a significant ride quality upgrade while still handling much better than stock. For me and my preferences the Performance Sport kit is pretty spot-on though, I was focused on handling without messing up the ride.

Edit #2: While all this detail may seem OT, I think it's somewhat relevant to the OP. Those ICE cars the OP listed are all very sporty trims, I haven't driven any of them myself, but I'm sure they all come with better, sportier suspension than stock 2021 Model 3. Quality issues with the OP's Model 3 aside, they seem to be looking for more of a sporty edge to the driving experience. An EV can absolutely give that, if fitted with a proper sporty suspension.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: wws and GSP
Thanks for the detailed writeup! I have 19" forged wheels on order and am definitely planning on a sport-oriented coilover setup in the future. Similar mission statement as yours: spirited twisty driving and possibly an occasional track day or autoX in the future.

Reactions: tm1v2
I also have a 1LE, honestly it feels slow unless you're hauling through the twisties. And don't forget it takes premium gas so it's not inexpensive to drive although it does get pretty good Highway Fuel economy. But it doesn't really compare to a Tesla in any way so that would be a leap I guess on your part. As for the other two it's hard to say cuz I don't have much experience with them.

The other ice Vehicles we have don't really apply, we have to pull a boat so we have a full size SUV and a truck that cannot be replaced by an electric at this point in time.