TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone receive a car without the Tech Package yet?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ddruz, Dec 21, 2012.

1. ddruz

ddruz Member

There were several posts on the Tesla forum about people anticipating receiving delivery of 85 kWh cars without the Tech Package in the last half of December.

If you have received a car without the Tech Package would you mind commenting on what kind, if any, of navigation came on your car? Do you simply have web-based, static Google maps without GPS (route guidance only) as has been expected, or do you have Google maps showing car location pointer with GPS like a smart phone app?

What is the standard rear view camera display like?

Anything else you'd like to comment on?

Thanks!

2. driver_EV

driver_EV Member

I am around 1 week from being able to answer this. Perhaps someone else will be able to reply first.

3. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

I am looking forward to your post !!!!!

4. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

+1

_____
    Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

5. pbrulott

pbrulott Member

6. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

So anyone know what comes with the Convenience lighting in the tech package versus the standard lighting package in a non tech car?

7. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

No tech pkg here. Put the $$ into twin chargers instead. Btw, should be called 'tandem chargers' as they do not have independent inputs.

Rear view camera covers the top half of big screen so I run it at night. Especially while the mirror is adjusting to night setting. Mirror too bright initially, so I have to turn it out of view, and rely on the camera. Having the camera fill up the top half is much better than anything else available. The bottom half is a white "no phone connected" irritating waste of space, but as it gets dark outside this half goes black still with the nag message. The black almost retreats from view. I would prefer to be able to black out the bottom half completely for night driving. Btw, the camera is plenty bright but not irritating as you drive.

Bring my own paper maps with me as always. Advise how to bring up Google Maps & I'll try. Do miss an altimeter as in my Roadster.

Lack of GUI for the most part. Confusing array of boxes to punch. Why not emulate heater/AC knobs as actually found on a typical classic car? Then you can suss the setup with just a glance. Isn't that what GUI is all about? Choosing amongst boxes after you have guessed the logic scheme employed is dreadful. Needs more work.
    --

8. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

When you have time, can you post some pictures of what your non tech setup looks like during day and night??????? Thank in advance.:biggrin:

9. Zextraterrestrial

So are EC mirrors are included in the non-tech package?

10. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Nope. I really like those mirrors too.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the quote for what is missing (the other stuff is really minor; even the liftgate isn't considered by the owner as an issue)

11. youlikeadajuice

O
    I believe the interior center mirror is EC, just not the sides.

12. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

Please post pics of the non-tech-package headlights if possible!?

_____
    Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

13. Crusoe

Crusoe Member

+1 - My MINI has Xenon and I've combed through pictures in threads and haven't found one yet. Anyone?

14. holothurian

holothurian New Member

15. youlikeadajuice

Here are a couple more non-tech headlight shots as well as a "Maps" app shot from the non-tech version. An S owner without the tech package from the official Tesla Motors forum was nice enough to email these shots to me.

Imgp6367 resize.jpg Imgp6369 resize.jpg Imgp6370 resize.jpg Imgp6371 resize.jpg Imgp6372.jpg

16. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Without the tech package do the door handles auto present when you approach the car?

17. Chas F

Chas F Model S 60kWh #P6396

In a word: No

18. JoshG

JoshG Member

i noticed your screen has "Enter/Exit" in place of the driver profiles that the tech package has. How does "Enter/Exit" work?

- - - Updated - - -

... or did you (wisely) create a driver profile called "Enter/Exit" that pushes the seats back for different-height couples?

19. Goterps

Goterps Member

I have non tech pkg and driver profiles are included. You put your name in and it locks the seat position for you. Google maps works with satellite, maps and traffic modes, but no NAV. I assume Tesla blocks that since google maps is Internet based and it would seem that the 3G would other pick that up. You can use the voice command and say something like "where is Starbucks" and it will show locations on the screen. With NAV, you could say "drive me to Starbucks". Door handles come out if you touch them and have the fob, but not automatically as with Tech pkg. they do retract by themselves.

20. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

So I'm not sure I'm seeing the difference in the lights - with tech pack and not. Are they the same?