Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone receive a tradein call from Tesla in Seattle area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was surprised to get a trade in offer call from Tesla in the Seattle area. I have a 3.5 year old model S. I'm so tempted to trade it for a 3, so I can get another car with a 4 year warranty. I figure a non-drivetrain problem in an S would not be cheap. My car has AP 1.0, the older hardware for the web browser, but it's an awesome car. I use TACC every day.

Has anyone tried to this in the end of quarter scrum in seattle? I'm a little dubious, but still tempted. Probably someone should talk me out of trading my reliable S85D for the hot new shiny thing. Please?

I was surprised to get a trade in offer call from Tesla in the Seattle area. I have a 3.5 year old model S. I'm so tempted to trade it for a 3, so I can get another car with a 4 year warranty. I figure a non-drivetrain problem in an S would not be cheap. My car has AP 1.0, the older hardware for the web browser, but it's an awesome car. I use TACC every day.

Has anyone tried to this in the end of quarter scrum in seattle? I'm a little dubious, but still tempted. Probably someone should talk me out of trading my reliable S85D for the hot new shiny thing. Please?

I got a call from Oakland. I’ve gotten so many spam calls, every unknown number goes to voicemail. If version 9 shows definite improvement on AP2.5, (we have a MS 85D, AP1), we will strongly consider it.

I also have an S85D and a second day one Model 3 reservation-the first reservation bought my wife’s RWD 3 in January.

When I made the reservation, I was hedging for the same reasons you outlined-new tech, warranty, shiny, not much out of pocket cost when trading the S.

But after driving our 3 and a test drive of a P3, I’m keeping my S85D. The 3 is a wonderful car-but I like the size, space, hatch, and looks of my S. When the S gets a total refresh, including the interior and AP 3, I’ll consider a new one.

But it’s a purely personal assessment. If you love the 3 more than your S, go for it!

You should send a message to @Bighorn as he has lots of experience driving an S85 and a new Model 3.

RE: AP1 vs. AP2

I drove a September 2016 S90D with AP1 for 83k miles and now have been driving a March 2018 S100D with AP2 for 44k miles. There are some things that were better about AP1 and there are some things that are better with AP2. I'd say they are fairly comparable in quality and of course I'm hoping that the AP2 improves going forward. My S90D with AP1 did this really annoying thing as I passed semis on the freeway that basically forced me to disengage AP every time I did so. I tried to get the service center to fix it but got the dreaded "could not reproduce the problem" from them. This was probably because they tried it in Seattle traffic at low speeds and it only would happen at higher speeds of 60 or perhaps even 70mph or more. Anyways because of that I'm preferring my current AP2 car, but I don't think that was a standard AP1 problem so assuming you don't have that issue, I would say they are of comparable quality.

I have never driven a Model 3 so I can't speak to any comparison there.

i traded in my 2015 S90D and it was for similar reasons you’ve mentioned. Running out of warranty soon and it’s a few thousand dollars for an extended warranty and couple of hundred dollars for deductible each warranty claim. I had the door handles fail on me and a dead 12V in the past year, so little things add up in the long run. I love the size and room of the Model S, but we also have a Model X in the family and I have an ICE Toyota Tundra for Home Depot runs and it made sense for me to trade in my S for a 3.

My only regret is that I traded in a perfect S with no flaws for a 3 with poor QC on the paint and now I’m waiting for a call from service to bring in my 3 for the paint to be fixed. The 3 is a blast to drive and feels like my old VW GTI vs the Model S which feels like a Mercedes E or SL class type of drive.

Do what’s best for you, I’ve enjoyed my former S and also enjoying the 3 now in a different way.