Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone reconsidering their order after seeing how Elon is reacting to COVID-19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan to get another Model 3 later this year, and will still probably get one. But I am really starting to get put off by Elon's reaction to COVID-19. Am I the only one that feels this way? Here is an article that kind of sums it up:

Elon Musk Has Played An Extremely Dangerous Game

The part of me that still wants the model 3 is telling my more sensible side that he is supposed to be our "Tony Stark" and Tony Stark is a smart, yet arrogant A-hole sometimes... so it kind of fits? lol

Not trying to stir *sugar*, just want to see if anyone else feels the same way as me? Or am I being too dramatic here?

I listen to scientific experts, not billionaires (or movie stars) with a pov on something about which they know little. So, in answer to your question, I ignore Elon's off-topic tweets just like I ignore Bill Gates (I wish I could have done more).

So to answer your Q, I'll still purchase a new Tesla. Just waiting for a Y with air suspension.

Buying another one. Following the genius. He knows more and is more committed to Tesla and his other company projects that will accelerate human advancement. Without tesla, EVs wouldn't be on the map and so much technological advancements just to try to best tesla.

I worked for a direct competitor to one of his other companies while my company had been in business over 25 years. We laughed at him thinking he would fail and he couldn't succeed. Elon was determined and set his sights on his goals and kept improving against all norms and quotas. Guess what. In 5 years he has completely smoked the competition and no one can keep up (and I don't mean tesla). He took the risk and now it's paying off. And now they are laughing at all the competitors. A 12 figure dollar company had to buy us out to stay relevant.. its got to say something.. measure him by his success.. more than anyone hear can ever say until you cure cancer..

Last edited:
I listen to scientific experts, not billionaires (or movie stars) with a pov on something about which they know little. So, in answer to your question, I ignore Elon's off-topic tweets just like I ignore Bill Gates (I wish I could have done more).

So to answer your Q, I'll still purchase a new Tesla. Just waiting for a Y with air suspension.

Scientific experts? Science is never an exact "science". Plus scientists can be paid and swayed. So much conflicting information. If scientific experts were on point, we wouldn't have the issues and so much uncertainty. They were wrong about it in the beginning and gave advice that is incorrect every month and keeps changing. People in the field have been reporting that they are being pressured into reporting the cause of death to get more funding and support as well as to make headlines.. so much false information and news..
So much for "science".

February " don't do this "
March "actually do that"
April "its not possible to be transmitted this way"
May "actually it does transmit that way"
"That won't protect you "
"Actually it may protect you"

WTF science being accurate?

Reactions: mswlogo
I highly respect the recent post that said WE DON'T KNOW how it would have played out if we had done things differently.
Then of course comes the typical posts from people who absolutely know what would have happened. The entire country would have been wiped out! That is actually the first time I've read something that extreme.
Science is such a loose term these days. Be careful who classifies themselves as a scientist and follow their money trail.
This car is unbelievable. Anyone who doesn't buy one due to Elon is embarrassing themselves and hurting the environment. But hey, you proved your point and sent a message to the big bad wolf!

The entire country would have been wiped out!

I know that’s a reference to me, and that’s NOT what I said.

What I said is that if we extrapolate the death rate of the 1918 flu - which killed 50 million people - with the world population, that would be the almost the equivalent of the population of the US (300m) globally.

Simple math. Not an epidemiologist, but given the same death rates, that’s what the global impact would be. There’s 6x as many people on the globe today than there was in 1918.

So - the only question that matters is... how do we avoid a 1918-like death rate? All I know is it’s somewhere between “pretend nothing is going on” and “everyone lives in a bubble forever”.

I never said the entire country could die. But if this were the 2nd coming of the 1918 virus, and we treated it exactly as we did then, it could have a monumental impact on world population.

Thankfully, we’ve apparently learned a thing or two since then, and maybe it’s not quite as virulent as 1918. We just don’t know.

Reactions: GZDongles
If I get in a car accident I'm not going to get a bunch of people in my building or at my workplace or at the store in a car accident. Also people don't complain about having to wear seat belts, whereas they throw fits about having to wear masks. Also car companies understand the risk factors for car accidents and continue to make safer cars.

Nearly 82,000 have died in the US alone in 2020 from covid-19...except it's only May. Also unlike the flu we don't have a vaccine or any treatments developed yet for covid-19 (besides potentially remdesivir, which seems to help those in dire condition).

I obviously can't and won't deny you your opinion, but I think yours is the mistaken perspective. It's misguided to try to compare this to things we already have an understanding of and countermeasures for and try to shrug it off as within normal parameters.

I will say though that although I am for the shutdown measures, I am about as frustrated as everyone else because it looks like we haven't capitalized on the time we bought. We should have the requisite level of testing capacity and contract tracing to be a lot more confident about opening up at least some areas by now. So I can understand how people may feel there's limited utility to what we're doing.

Regarding Elon...yeah he says some pretty wild stuff sometimes, but he also makes the best cars. So compartmentalization it is haha.
Here is a good article from the Washington Post regarding how flu and covid-19 deaths are reported. Bottom line is the number you see in the news as flu deaths is an extrapolated number that far exceeds confirmed flu deaths. Covid-19 deaths are actual confirmed deaths where Covid was the cause (or a high probability). The CDC has not been extrapolating Covid numbers. Comparing the two death rates is an apples to oranges comparison.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...-accurate-way-compare-coronavirus-deaths-flu/

Reactions: Purgatory
Well Tesla is now becoming the battle cry for our #MAGA brothers and sisters. Tesla will no longer be known as the liburals car but as the #MAGA car company, this is going to get interesting especially after the move to Texas
This is part of Elon's plan to get Tesla in the mainstream (lots of speculation here). They are now Fox News darlings, which changes perceptions for a lot of people. I have to wonder if this whole fight with the local government is entirely about restarting production.

It’s true we don’t know exactly how careful we need to be. And what is reasonable risk with work etc. Maybe we aren’t being aggressive enough?

But we democratically elected our officials that have the power to make these decisions for the good of the commonwealth.

Violating the guidelines they set is just a slap in our democracy’s face.

As far as I can tell California has done a fantastic job. I live in MA ;( They were to slow in MA and talking about relaxing things to soon, in my opinion.

Reactions: dmurphy
This is part of Elon's plan to get Tesla in the mainstream (lots of speculation here). They are now Fox News darlings, which changes perceptions for a lot of people. I have to wonder if this whole fight with the local government is entirely about restarting production.

Oh please, do you honestly think he built cars that do mid 10 second quarter miles to satiate the demand from the Prius & Whole Foods demographic? Hahahaha... No, he built those for well-heeled speed freaks who were currently shopping for ICE rides. Handwringers need not apply.

• Funny
Reactions: jpfive
Oh please, do you honestly think he built cars that do mid 10 second quarter miles to satiate the demand from the Prius & Whole Foods demographic? Hahahaha... No, he built those for well-heeled speed freaks who were currently shopping for ICE rides. Handwringers need not apply.

LOL. He got my attention. And elevated my climate consciousness in the bargain.

Answer this: Does the current narrative help or hurt Tesla's standing with those who hated company because of political leanings? I bet Elon is a good chess player.

Reactions: adrianp89
Answer this: Does the current narrative help or hurt Tesla's standing with those who hated company because of political leanings? I bet Elon is a good chess player.

They are confused. Ford GM are made overseas and sold here. Toyo, Honda,BMW, Audi = WWII.... Tesla was libural until it wasn’t...., expect to see more Tesla’s in the road with Dont Thread On Me Flags

It helped the stock price. I think you'll find that a lot of normal people have been buying Teslas. It's never been entirely zealots. Heck, Donald Trump bought one and Jay Leno loves his Tesla. Tim Allen built his own EV (not sure if he has a Tesla, since they are not collectible).

Reactions: VT_EE
Scientific experts? Science is never an exact "science". Plus scientists can be paid and swayed. So much conflicting information. If scientific experts were on point, we wouldn't have the issues and so much uncertainty. They were wrong about it in the beginning and gave advice that is incorrect every month and keeps changing. People in the field have been reporting that they are being pressured into reporting the cause of death to get more funding and support as well as to make headlines.. so much false information and news..
So much for "science".

February " don't do this "
March "actually do that"
April "its not possible to be transmitted this way"
May "actually it does transmit that way"
"That won't protect you "
"Actually it may protect you"

WTF science being accurate?

Who said anything about being accurate? Many of the smart folks on tmc need to work on critical reading skills.

No - what he is doing is actually making me consider getting a Tesla instead of my usual BMW 5 Series. Drove a Model 3 and S today and if I pull the trigger it will be to support Elon, as I support his viewpoints on this whole thing.

You will honestly make a $60,000 purchase to show your support for the opinions that the CEO of a car company expresses on Twitter? I don't disagree with your right to your opinion about the shutdown or Elon's position about it.

I don't mean to be sarcastic at all, but I guess I just don't understand the Tesla fans or Tesla detractors. If you weren't in the market for a Tesla before and you are looking now just because of Elon's comments, you are saying that the opinions of the CEO in this one area (which, let's be honest, hopefully one's opinions about the fairness of the shelter in place order are a small, almost insignificant facet of his personality), override any other of your car buying criteria or wishes.

Unless it's just play money for you, and you want to make some sort of political statement that no one will associate with a Tesla in the next 1-2 years when his comments are forgotten, factoring Elon into your decision doesn't make sense. I would say the same thing to someone who isn't planning on buying a Tesla because of Elon's personality. Buy the the car for the attributes of the car, Elon's Twitter account has nothing to do with the Model 3, and increasingly little to do with Tesla as a publicly traded company.

You will honestly make a $60,000 purchase to show your support for the opinions that the CEO of a car company expresses on Twitter? I don't disagree with your right to your opinion about the shutdown or Elon's position about it.

I don't mean to be sarcastic at all, but I guess I just don't understand the Tesla fans or Tesla detractors. If you weren't in the market for a Tesla before and you are looking now just because of Elon's comments, you are saying that the opinions of the CEO in this one area (which, let's be honest, hopefully one's opinions about the fairness of the shelter in place order are a small, almost insignificant facet of his personality), override any other of your car buying criteria or wishes.

Unless it's just play money for you, and you want to make some sort of political statement that no one will associate with a Tesla in the next 1-2 years when his comments are forgotten, factoring Elon into your decision doesn't make sense. I would say the same thing to someone who isn't planning on buying a Tesla because of Elon's personality. Buy the the car for the attributes of the car, Elon's Twitter account has nothing to do with the Model 3, and increasingly little to do with Tesla as a publicly traded company.

I liked Tesla’s anyhow, so have always been intrigued. Always have BMW’s and would be nice to possibly try a Tesla too. So more to it, but really like his comments. Only a lease, so no big deal.