Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone reconsidering their order after seeing how Elon is reacting to COVID-19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've run out of fingers to count the people in my life circle that have died from COVID-19... so, respectfully, you're talking out your ass.

Respectfully I’m speaking from my own personal experience and people I have spoken too. I never said no one has died from it, simply implying the experience from my end is it is not that big as it is portrayed. The likely hood of knowing over ten people to die from it is extremely low, so from that end your experience could make it seem like the end of world.

Respectfully I’m speaking from my own personal experience and people I have spoken too. I never said no one has died from it, simply implying the experience from my end is it is not that big as it is portrayed. The likely hood of knowing over ten people to die from it is extremely low, so from that end your experience could make it seem like the end of world.

And if the Government did nothing. Some would have claimed it was a Government Conspiracy for "Population Control"

I'm sure a lot of people through other disasters said the same thing. For example, German people, "from my personal experience, I have not seen any Jewish people being taken, maybe it's not as big as some say it is"

Here is the biggest threat with COVID19, the asymptomatic carrier.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and dmurphy

Travel up here to the northeast ... not only is my experience not uncommon, it's more the norm than the exception.

To put it in perspective - NJ had 704 victims of the 9/11 murder. I knew two of them.
As of today, we have 9,310 deaths due to COVID-19. Do the math.

I apologize if I'm mixing you up with them, but I'm just completely tired and sick of people calling it "no big deal" or "a conspiracy theory" or some other complete and utter horsesh*t. I love my family and friends way too much to accept that kind of thinking.

Reactions: VT_EE and EVDRVN
To put it in perspective - NJ had 704 victims of the 9/11 murder. I knew two of them.

I apologize if I'm mixing you up with them, but I'm just completely tired and sick of people calling it "no big deal" or "a conspiracy theory" or some other complete and utter horsesh*t. I love my family and friends way too much to accept that kind of thinking.

I wouldn't call this a conspiracy, but COVID19 is vastly blown out of proportion in my opinion.

3200 people die every day from car related accidents but nobody really cares.

80,000 died in the US alone in 2018 from the flu - but again nobody really cared.

In 2018, hospitals in every US state were overwhelmed with some having to put patients in tents - but how many people knew of this? I personally had no idea and neither did my family or friends except after covid19.

I only recently learned about the death of two extended family members who were 85+ in the past few years who died from the flu. Of course at the time, everybody justified it as 'normal' due to old age. If this had happened today, I'm sure the reaction would be much different.

At this time, there is simply not enough data to determine how much more deadly covid is. There's a chance the vast majority of us already had or have it with no symptoms and will never even notice. I of course still wear masks and take precautions when going outside or after coming back, but the exaggeration of this 'pandemic', again in my opinion, is vastly blown out of proportions and perspective.

I wouldn't call this a conspiracy, but COVID19 is vastly blown out of proportion in my opinion.

80,000 died in the US alone in 2018 from the flu - but again nobody really cared.

In 2018, hospitals in every US state were overwhelmed with some having to put patients in tents - but how many people knew of this? I personally had no idea and neither did my family or friends except after covid19.

I only recently learned about the death of two extended family members who were 85+ in the past few years who died from the flu. Of course at the time, everybody justified it as 'normal' due to old age. If this had happened today, I'm sure the reaction would be much different.

At this time, there is simply not enough data to determine how much more deadly covid is. There's a chance the vast majority of us already had or have it with no symptoms and will never even notice. I of course still wear masks and take precautions when going outside or after coming back, but the exaggeration of this 'pandemic', again in my opinion, is vastly blown out of proportions and perspective.

I mostly agree with what you said, especially when it comes to automotive deaths...that's an unbelievably unacceptable risk we've come to simply tolerate.

However, while COVID is and remains to be relatively benign to those under 65, unlike influenza, the morbidity rate is vastly more substantial. That compacts the number of those needing critical care in a shorter period of time which was the threat to our ability to provide care, and ultimately would lead to higher mortality.

We did a decent job of curbing that risk considering the virus was already here much sooner than previously known and so we were already behind the curve, but we didn't do so in the smartest way (IMO). I'm not saying I am qualified to provide a way it should have been done, but I can't imagine, when all is said and done, we're going to look back on this and say it was worth it.

I suspect we'll look back on it and find all kinds of flaws in our rationale behind how we shut down and its overall effectiveness compared to the long term risk it's opened us up to.

Reactions: zhu- and heysteveh
If I get in a car accident I'm not going to get a bunch of people in my building or at my workplace or at the store in a car accident. Also people don't complain about having to wear seat belts, whereas they throw fits about having to wear masks. Also car companies understand the risk factors for car accidents and continue to make safer cars.

Nearly 82,000 have died in the US alone in 2020 from covid-19...except it's only May. Also unlike the flu we don't have a vaccine or any treatments developed yet for covid-19 (besides potentially remdesivir, which seems to help those in dire condition).

I obviously can't and won't deny you your opinion, but I think yours is the mistaken perspective. It's misguided to try to compare this to things we already have an understanding of and countermeasures for and try to shrug it off as within normal parameters.

I will say though that although I am for the shutdown measures, I am about as frustrated as everyone else because it looks like we haven't capitalized on the time we bought. We should have the requisite level of testing capacity and contract tracing to be a lot more confident about opening up at least some areas by now. So I can understand how people may feel there's limited utility to what we're doing.

Regarding Elon...yeah he says some pretty wild stuff sometimes, but he also makes the best cars. So compartmentalization it is haha.

Right now it all depends where you live. What is frustrating is that rural New Hampshire and Maine up by me have been told to play by the same rules as NYC and Boston. Obviously Corona is a problem is certain areas. No one can deny that. I'm sorry for what you're all going through. You all should have shut down mass transit and locked down the cities for a month back in March.
Some counties near where I live have hardly had any cases and zero deaths. Zero. As in, none. Yet my wife is told it's too scary to get her nails and hair done and many businesses are going bankrupt? Come on man.
New Hampshire has full Covid and antibody testing(with tracing) going on now and it is run fantastically. I had the IGG antibody test last week. That is the accurate one. No one needs a quick antibody test. Be patient and wait for the results so we can get good data and get past this situation!

Reactions: user212_nr
Travel up here to the northeast ... not only is my experience not uncommon, it's more the norm than the exception.

The math shows that a tenth of a percent of the population of New Jersey has died from this. To put this in perspective - the almost identical percentage is the goal for heart rate deaths,as established by the CDC/NCHS. (.00106 (NJ Covid Morality Rate) vs. .00103 (Target Heart Disease Mortality Rate for 2020). Yes I know the death rate will rise, but we also know that the death rate is being inflated. I doubt that the data for true COVID deaths will be available.

I could do the math if you would like but it would show the chances of you knowing over ten people in New Jersey to die from the virus is astronomically low, further amplifying my point that your perception would be heavily skewed due to unfortunate circumstances. You are in the 99.99999% percentile of being adversely affected by knowing personal deaths.

To say it is no big deal may be an overstatement, but even with numbers in COVID19s favor, the math shows it is not as big of deal as it being portrayed.

The math shows that a tenth of a percent of the population of New Jersey has died from this. To put this in perspective - the almost identical percentage is the goal for heart rate deaths,as established by the CDC/NCHS. (.00106 (NJ Covid Morality Rate) vs. .00103 (Target Heart Disease Mortality Rate for 2020). Yes I know the death rate will rise, but we also know that the death rate is being inflated. I doubt that the data for true COVID deaths will be available.

I could do the math if you would like but it would show the chances of you knowing over ten people in New Jersey to die from the virus is astronomically low, further amplifying my point that your perception would be heavily skewed due to unfortunate circumstances. You are in the 99.99999% percentile of being adversely affected by knowing personal deaths.

To say it is no big deal may be an overstatement, but even with numbers in COVID19s favor, the math shows it is not as big of deal as it being portrayed.

While these stats may be true it also has occurred during a time of shutdown. No one knows what the rates would look like if we carried on
as usual and that is the big unknown.

Also, assuming the rate of death is somehow exaggerated makes some sense but is not supported by facts. NYC reported 24,000 more deaths in the same time period in 2020 compared to 2019 ; only 18,000 are reported as Covid related so that leaves 6000 more deaths during a time of less car accidents, less shootings, less gang violence, etc... Likely heart attacks and the like due to stress, people not going to hospitals out of fear, ambulances arriving later than usual, etc... But is a true stat that refutes that every death is being attributed/counted as Covid.

We have that kind of death rate (paralleling the #1 killer BTW) WITH the extreme measures in place. Left unchecked, we're looking at a 1918 kind of situation all over again. That wiped 50 million off the map, with an Earth population 1/6th what it is now. Extrapolate, poof, the equivalent of the entire USA goes away.

And maybe if you average across the entire US, or entire world population, the chance of knowing 10 COVID deaths is somewhat low -- but in a hotspot like this, it's commonplace.

Yes. Was basically set on getting a LR AWD, but Elon’s attitude and proclivity for promoting false information combined with all of the well documented QA issues still around on Model 3s has changed my mind and I’m no longer looking at a Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: signalbobby
Yes. Was basically set on getting a LR AWD, but Elon’s attitude and proclivity for promoting false information combined with all of the well documented QA issues still around on Model 3s has changed my mind and I’m no longer looking at a Tesla.

Well putting aside your personal feelings the Quality Control is much exaggerated.
Was a valid concern in 2018 but since then is very rare for there to be issues. Look at how many model 3's have been sold compared to the amount of complaints.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Well Tesla is now becoming the battle cry for our #MAGA brothers and sisters. Tesla will no longer be known as the liburals car but as the #MAGA car company, this is going to get interesting especially after the move to Texas

Hopefully it will accelerate the transition to EV's. Maybe we will even see both sides put aside their mutual disdain and look for the good in each other.

Reactions: heysteveh

Maybe he's missing a bunch of fingers....

• Disagree
Reactions: heysteveh
This guy is a genius. We all know geniuses do not follow the norms of us earthlings. So relax guys.

some people say we have stable geniuses and we have billionaire geniuses.

means.png

• Funny
Reactions: jpfive