Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret buying the Acceleration Boost for their Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just driving and some people think I'm racing. ;) I had a Charger that wanted a go yesterday. I dropped everyone at the lights (boosted 0-60, then coast) as usual and the Charger rolled up beside me and gunned it. I didn't look over to encourage anything.

One thing I really appreciate about my Tesla is that I can give it 100% and I never get anxious about moneyshifting, premature wear, maintenance, ...etc...
Agree 100%. ICE drivers, it really is not even fair. They just don't know it until after they see you pull away. Quickly too.
And saving money with no worry of some new mechanical issue cropping up just after you gun it. Happened to us on the ICE cars with big motors routinely.
:)

Reactions: mark95476
I'm just driving and some people think I'm racing. ;) I had a Charger that wanted a go yesterday. I dropped everyone at the lights (boosted 0-60, then coast) as usual and the Charger rolled up beside me and gunned it. I didn't look over to encourage anything.

One thing I really appreciate about my Tesla is that I can give it 100% and I never get anxious about moneyshifting, premature wear, maintenance, ...etc...
Be careful out there…

So I finally got this to try out. It makes the highway acceleration unreal and quickly takes you into triple digits without warning. It is definitely more peppy and satisfying to drive. I will likely return it, enjoy the non boost for a while, then order it when I have money burning in my pocket. For now, it’s fun!

Ps: it downloaded instantly when ordered from the phone. It didn’t charge me taxes which was surprising. Super easy process.

So I finally got this to try out. It makes the highway acceleration unreal and quickly takes you into triple digits without warning. It is definitely more peppy and satisfying to drive. I will likely return it, enjoy the non boost for a while, then order it when I have money burning in my pocket. For now, it’s fun!

Ps: it downloaded instantly when ordered from the phone. It didn’t charge me taxes which was surprising. Super easy process.
After a few drinks one night... maybe a week or so from now, you may just do a couple of "accidental" clicks in your app.

Reactions: GOVA
something like that happened to me. Unfortunately it does wear off. I secretly think Elon took it back and will try to sell it to me again claiming even more boost.

I do admit that if I run in chill though it does seem like it's dangerously slow. So like this addition warning be a warning.

Like all drugs, you get used to them. I have to say though the AB is the one thing I absolutely enjoy most about the car every day. Merging onto the freeway is just so much easier. This is where it really turns into the performance model.

Like all drugs, you get used to them. I have to say though the AB is the one thing I absolutely enjoy most about the car every day. Merging onto the freeway is just so much easier. This is where it really turns into the performance model.
It doesn’t feel all that much quicker until
You’re digging into floor coming out of a clover leaf on ramp. It’s deceptively quick on the highway and misdemeanor speeds are easy to precipitate.

If they decide on an EV rebate that retros to 2021 for tax season, I’d be inclined to keep
It.

my wife will take this car once the Cybertruck or better variant of the Model Y comes out and she can barely handle chill mode so it would not be of any value to her.

If they can drop a Model Y with better interior comforts and a range over 400, i would consider this over a Cybertruck. I currently use a 8x4 trailer for any hauling needs and it’s easy enough to hitch on and off when needed. I leave the ball mounted in the car and recently added some chain link d rings to the hitch so connecting the safety chains is easier/faster.

I ended up returning it. I’ll try driving it tomorrow and see what the difference is again. I really enjoyed the extra power and it felt like it really helped the mid range power.

I’ll likely buy it again soon. Ultimately, it still saved me $8k over buying the performance variant.

Attachments

• IMG_20220130_235348.jpg
    IMG_20220130_235348.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20220130_235640.jpg
    IMG_20220130_235640.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20220130_235435.jpg
    IMG_20220130_235435.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20220130_235825.jpg
    IMG_20220130_235825.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 73
It doesn’t feel all that much quicker until
You’re digging into floor coming out of a clover leaf on ramp. It’s deceptively quick on the highway and misdemeanor speeds are easy to precipitate.
Were you also able to get a feel for the difference as far as power output in varying states of charge - AB vs non AB? Did it feel like power was maintained more at every SOC with the AB?

My experience and testing have show that with AB it was almost always quicker than it was stock (without AB) until I got down to about 20% charge. As I mentioned upstream, basically it always feels better with AB than it ever did stock even at 100% charge. Above 70 is where I noticed the fall off most but maybe not as bad as stock based on the SOC level.

Reactions: hatch
Were you also able to get a feel for the difference as far as power output in varying states of charge - AB vs non AB? Did it feel like power was maintained more at every SOC with the AB?
It was definitely quicker in the midrange SOC and it basically felt like the car has 100% power all the time. I didnt get below 40% so
I can’t comment there. At 47% it quickly got to and went over the speed limits and was able to break multiple laws (had it been driven on public roads).

I drove
Today without it with the wife and kid in the car and I didn’t miss it because they don’t like the acceleration. It’s felt much more effectively when driving alone anyway.

I’d say it’s worth 1-1.4K but 2k is a bit out of reach. I will say that the cost delta between LR and Performance, it IS worth it when you think about total
Cost of vehicle.

Reactions: hatch