Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret buying the Acceleration Boost for their Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not considering paying for the extra boost, the MY LR without boost is plenty good. Plus i don't need tire wear off any sooner than necessary. To me that money is better spent protecting the car (ppf, tint etc.) Unlimited funds, I would have probably picked the MYP. Everyone is different though, the pickup I had on Avalon Hybrid Limited was plenty good for me, MY LR is already a step faster than that.

TBH - that is what I am going to have to do so my wife doesn't notice it. I specifically got a credit card to charge the AB and some other Tesla accessories so they will fly under the radar as long as possible. ;-)

I finally have a delivery date for this coming week. I am pretty excited.
ha ha - 1 floor mat, 1 cup holder liner, something called AB = $2,500. Flawless plan. LOL

Reading this thread is tempting me too much to go ahead and buy the AB now. I thought I would wait until I got tired of the stock acceleration and then boost it. That was sort of the conundrum with the MYP. Where do you go when you tire of what it has to offer? No optional upgrades there.

For me I would have liked to have gone with the M3P for a daily driver and had enough performance to be fun every day. The MYP was enough slower that I would have been missing the M3P. She wanted more room and next thing you know we have a model Y. So I am going to try and hold out as long as I can before I press the upgrade button. As my father used to say "Son, I can resist anything but temptation."

I love/hate that it is just a quick click in the app or web browser, and voila, a more fun car. Absolutely brilliant marketing on their part and I'd love to see the adoption rate. I am surprised they don't have more things like this for easy upgrades.

Reactions: AquaY
Reading this thread is tempting me too much to go ahead and buy the AB now. I thought I would wait until I got tired of the stock acceleration and then boost it. That was sort of the conundrum with the MYP. Where do you go when you tire of what it has to offer? No optional upgrades there.

For me I would have liked to have gone with the M3P for a daily driver and had enough performance to be fun every day. The MYP was enough slower that I would have been missing the M3P. She wanted more room and next thing you know we have a model Y. So I am going to try and hold out as long as I can before I press the upgrade button. As my father used to say "Son, I can resist anything but temptation."

I love/hate that it is just a quick click in the app or web browser, and voila, a more fun car. Absolutely brilliant marketing on their part and I'd love to see the adoption rate. I am surprised they don't have more things like this for easy upgrades.
Once you're at 20-30 mph, the acceleration of an M3P compared to an MYP or MYLR with AB is negligible. The Performance models have more power and torque off the line, the 3 having a little more due to the lighter weight and with how Tesla has the acceleration programmed on the 3. At speed, all those advantages are gone.

Reactions: mark95476
Once you're at 20-30 mph, the acceleration of an M3P compared to an MYP or MYLR with AB is negligible. The Performance models have more power and torque off the line, the 3 having a little more due to the lighter weight and with how Tesla has the acceleration programmed on the 3. At speed, all those advantages are gone.
And that is the main reason that ultimately pushed me toward the LR model. When you look at trap speeds in the 1/4, the M3P, MYP, M3 LR and MY LR are all very close to each other. I also ran the numbers factoring out the initial sprint to 30 mph, again they are very tight. I also some youtube vids for the M3P vs the M3 LR were from 70 mph up, the LR walked the M3P. It also showed how close they were below that. I think they also included the SR model as well.

I haven't found enough data for the MY LR AB to see if the improvement is just off the line as expected. I think the sweet spot for bang for the buck would be the M3 LR AB. Very close in performance to the M3P, maybe quicker at speed, and not that far behind the M3P either.

I am a pretty serious adrenalin junkie and so far the MY LR has been a good daily driver as long as I am rolling. Even though we ended up with the MY, at least I can tow some things too and not worry about warranty issues. The MY LR AB makes a lot of sense and if you want 7 seats, it is a great option. That is something you can't do with the MYP.

I think where I'll end up is with AB and then throw on some lightweight 18's that I still can tow with from a load perspective. That might get me pretty close to 4 seconds flat, 0-60 with no rollout. I'll probably wait until our MY shows up and then see if it matters anymore at that point. Maybe they'll come up with a boost option for it. My wife will be driving the MY all the time and she won't car anyway. ;-)

Thanks for the link! Not gonna lie, I bought it anyway, havent even floored the car yet. Just got it and waiting to get PPF on it. Its basically living in the garage.

I would have gotten the MYP, but they didnt have a 7-seat version (really a 5+2). It was a no-brainer for me, I think 2k is definitely worth it, especially since its under full factory warranty. I've had plenty of track cars (road course) and you need to pay a lot more than that to get those gains and any warranty you had on the drive train is null and void. For the record, I dont plan on tracking this, I dont think this or any EVs will last 30min at full clip. But thats now how I'm driving this car. This car is meant for the street and I'll enjoy the upgrade.

Its funny, I bought AB a couple days ago and still havent driven the car. It gets PPF on Friday and the shop will have it all weekend. I wont even get to play with it until Monday, but I KNEW I was going to get it regardless, so why not? This may sound silly, but I also consider it a "safety feature". Acceleration can get you out of trouble... it can get you into trouble too, but I'm past that stage of life. When I was riding motorcycles that was a nice feature, being able to scoot away from trouble.

Thanks for the link! Not gonna lie, I bought it anyway, havent even floored the car yet. Just got it and waiting to get PPF on it. Its basically living in the garage.

I would have gotten the MYP, but they didnt have a 7-seat version (really a 5+2). It was a no-brainer for me, I think 2k is definitely worth it, especially since its under full factory warranty. I've had plenty of track cars (road course) and you need to pay a lot more than that to get those gains and any warranty you had on the drive train is null and void. For the record, I dont plan on tracking this, I dont think this or any EVs will last 30min at full clip. But thats now how I'm driving this car. This car is meant for the street and I'll enjoy the upgrade.

Its funny, I bought AB a couple days ago and still havent driven the car. It gets PPF on Friday and the shop will have it all weekend. I wont even get to play with it until Monday, but I KNEW I was going to get it regardless, so why not? This may sound silly, but I also consider it a "safety feature". Acceleration can get you out of trouble... it can get you into trouble too, but I'm past that stage of life. When I was riding motorcycles that was a nice feature, being able to scoot away from trouble.
Valet settings, you wouldn't want someone else to enjoy AB before you do!

Keith

I think AB is one of the best kept secrets, that shouldn't be such a secret. At the same time, if it was widely known, it might steal sales from the MYP.

I am in no rush to add it (though I do want it) however, I am concerned Tesla could cancel it at any time. While I think this is not very likely, I do think they could jack up the price like they love to do lately. So when my car gets back from the tint shop, I'll make a few passes to get a performance baseline. Then I'll add AB while my wife isn't looking so to speak.

I wish there was a way to purchase it now to lock in the price but install it later.

No such luck. Might be OK. Put in a 2K entry into quicken in Jan so the overall 'net worth' reported by quicken won't be changing much (~132 tax).

And am lining up my rationale (excuse?). Didn't ask/tell because I know you wouldn't like it but would say OK and feel bad. So I spared the angst.