Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret buying the Acceleration Boost for their Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly the best would have been an early 2020 Y with the the 980 Rear motors, then spend the extra 2400 to get the same performance as the P with this kit.
I actually looked at a few used ones trying to find one of those unicorns. I would have done that in a hearbeat. There is also the option of the Boost 50 if you don't want to go with factory AB and it isn't lost when you sell the vehicle either. Not to mention it is about half the price and you get other features with it.

Love it, but the downside is that it doesn't follow the car: if you sell or trade it, AB is lost and must be repurchased by the new owner, if they want it.
I was informed that if the Tesla Model 3 or Model Y has the acceleration boost (AB) and the vehicle is sold privately, i.e. not sold/traded in to Tesla, then the AB will convey with the vehicle to the new owner. If a Tesla vehicle with the AB is sold to Tesla then Tesla is able to remove the AB before selling the vehicle.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
I actually looked at a few used ones trying to find one of those unicorns. I would have done that in a hearbeat. There is also the option of the Boost 50 if you don't want to go with factory AB and it isn't lost when you sell the vehicle either. Not to mention it is about half the price and you get other features with it.
Thanks. I like the idea of the Boost 50 and half price helps too!

Went out and made a few runs 0-60 runs tonight with Dragy.

Mine is a 7 seater, tow and running on 19" Geminis.
I had 76% SOC when I started and I am sure my battery wasn't warmed up and ambient temps were 78F when I ran.
I only had a chance to get in 2 runs. The best run was the first at 4.93 (no rollout) and 0.29% uphill. Second run was 5.03 (no rollout) and 0.51% uphill.

So I went back and compared that to run in a demo MY LR. It was a 5 seater and no tow and on 19" Geminis as well. Its SOC was 99% when I drove out and it had just finished charging. It took a bit of driving to get where I could safely make a few hits. The SOC was down to 95% and I am pretty sure the batteries were warm from just being charged, some acceleration hits while getting to the test area and it was 95F outside. I turned off the AC for the runs.
Best run for it was 4.91 (no rollout) 0.79% uphill. Next run was 5.01 and 1.3% uphill, and the last was 5.03 and 15% downhill.

On that same day, a MYP with charge stats the same as the previous demo, took 3.76 sec (no rollout) and 0.52% uphill. It had no tow and had the 21" Ubers.

It was very interesting to see how consistent the MY LR are across the board. I don't know how much more the 7 seater weighs than the 5 seater and how much the tow package adds as well. I would have sworn, but didn't test it, that mine when it was fully charged when I picked it up seemed quicker than the demos I drove at the same level of charge. On that same day I drove the M3 LR and they clocked in the low to mid 4.3 range for the runs. Again with no rollout.

I'll charge it close to 100% and make some runs this weekend to see how much of a difference that makes. I need to find the weight for the 7 seater as well. After I have the data, I'll see if I want to invest in AB. Right now it feels like it is very torque limited at launch but feels very close the the MYP once rolling above 30 mph.

I was dead set on buying this upgrade but I just took delivery of my MY and it is so fast already! Now I'm having second thoughts, though still leaning towards getting it.

I'm in the same boat with my Model 3 LR. I got it in march and was dead set on pruchasing the boost, but for some reason it wasn't available in the menu. I tried to contact Tesla and it can be ordered offline but was not a smoot process. In all time that has passed I have experienced that it is already fast enough for the environment without the boost - meaning I have yet to lose a merge or red light race ;) So, given that it is a hurdle for me to get it off the menu, I probably won't bother before I get the Plaid CT.

On the other hand, if I had gotten the boost, I would probably be happy with it. Now I just won't be bothered with the hassle of getting it, or even if they added it to the menu I probably wouldn't get it (just for being annoyed with the process to begin with).

I had 76% SOC when I started and I am sure my battery wasn't warmed up and ambient temps were 78F when I ran.
I only had a chance to get in 2 runs. The best run was the first at 4.93 (no rollout) and 0.29% uphill. Second run was 5.03 (no rollout) and 0.51% uphill.

So I went back and compared that to run in a demo MY LR. It was a 5 seater and no tow and on 19" Geminis as well. Its SOC was 99% when I drove out and it had just finished charging. It took a bit of driving to get where I could safely make a few hits. The SOC was down to 95% and I am pretty sure the batteries were warm from just being charged, some acceleration hits while getting to the test area and it was 95F outside. I turned off the AC for the runs.
Best run for it was 4.91 (no rollout) 0.79% uphill. Next run was 5.01 and 1.3% uphill, and the last was 5.03 and 15% downhill.

On that same day, a MYP with charge stats the same as the previous demo, took 3.76 sec (no rollout) and 0.52% uphill. It had no tow and had the 21" Ubers.

It was very interesting to see how consistent the MY LR are across the board. I don't know how much more the 7 seater weighs than the 5 seater and how much the tow package adds as well. I would have sworn, but didn't test it, that mine when it was fully charged when I picked it up seemed quicker than the demos I drove at the same level of charge. On that same day I drove the M3 LR and they clocked in the low to mid 4.3 range for the runs. Again with no rollout.

I'll charge it close to 100% and make some runs this weekend to see how much of a difference that makes. I need to find the weight for the 7 seater as well. After I have the data, I'll see if I want to invest in AB. Right now it feels like it is very torque limited at launch but feels very close the the MYP once rolling above 30 mph.
I'm finding my LR makes similar power output between 68-85%, the difference being about 10 hp. Numbers are from the Scan My Tesla app.

Good to know. I am normally between 65-80% charge. Will be curious to see how much it is on my car when closer to "full".

Did you need anything else besides the Scan My Tesla app like some sort of physical connector?

Good to know. I am normally between 65-80% charge. Will be curious to see how much it is on my car when closer to "full".

Did you need anything else besides the Scan My Tesla app like some sort of physical connector?
A harness to tap into the CAN bus, and a Bluetooth OBDII reader. If you go to the Scan My Tesla site, they'll link where you can purchase the harness. I bought the reader from Amazon.
20210619_134651.jpg

Reactions: DayTrippin

Agree with your write up: "Right now it feels like it is very torque limited at launch but feels very close the the MYP once rolling above 30 mph."

We noticed this also! Ran test up a bridge slope with one passenger, the roll out was fast but after about 30 MPH it really was up like a roller coaster, super fast and move your neck back torque.

Did my first test on my 7-seat Y with the acceleration boost this morning. At 80% charge I was getting 0-60 in the 4.2’s without roll out and in the 3.9’s with the roll out. Will try higher percentage charge next weekend. The sad thing is the spped of this car did not blow me away as much as my 2018 model 3 with its 5.1 0-60 time…guess I have just been desensitized

Did my first test on my 7-seat Y with the acceleration boost this morning. At 80% charge I was getting 0-60 in the 4.2’s without roll out and in the 3.9’s with the roll out. Will try higher percentage charge next weekend. The sad thing is the spped of this car did not blow me away as much as my 2018 model 3 with its 5.1 0-60 time…guess I have just been desensitized

Does it say performance as an option for selection or is it just added to the sport mode?

I ordered it this weekend and it was a really cool but I decided not to keep it since I mostly drive in bumper to bumper traffic and in those circumstances you don't really even need 4.8 seconds let alone 4.2. I still might buy it sometime in the future but for now I'm just going to stick with stock speed.

I ordered it this weekend and it was a really cool but I decided not to keep it since I mostly drive in bumper to bumper traffic and in those circumstances you don't really even need 4.8 seconds let alone 4.2. I still might buy it sometime in the future but for now I'm just going to stick with stock speed.
This is sort of my dilemma about it too. Part of me really wanted it, and wanted the MYP in the first place. The more I thought about the MYP the more I realized its negatives outweighed the acceleration improvement (which is mostly just off the line). The more research I've done on the AB shows almost all the gains are at launch as well. Unless I hammer it from every stop, I am not going to really get to enjoy it. When stuck in traffic, can't run it hard anyway and that is when my speeds are usually the slowest.

At first I thought Car and Drivers recommendation to go with the MY LR over the MYP was BS, now that I've spent more time in my LR, I think they got it right. I think I'll have to do the trial before I buy of the AB pretty soon though. I want to get more test runs in at different SOCs to be able to quantify the improvement on my car. If I am going to buy it, might as well get my use out of it so to speak.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
This is sort of my dilemma about it too. Part of me really wanted it, and wanted the MYP in the first place. The more I thought about the MYP the more I realized its negatives outweighed the acceleration improvement (which is mostly just off the line). The more research I've done on the AB shows almost all the gains are at launch as well. Unless I hammer it from every stop, I am not going to really get to enjoy it. When stuck in traffic, can't run it hard anyway and that is when my speeds are usually the slowest.

At first I thought Car and Drivers recommendation to go with the MY LR over the MYP was BS, now that I've spent more time in my LR, I think they got it right. I think I'll have to do the trial before I buy of the AB pretty soon though. I want to get more test runs in at different SOCs to be able to quantify the improvement on my car. If I am going to buy it, might as well get my use out of it so to speak.

After I made that post I drove it around in normal mode for an hour after I refunded it and now I'm seriously considering adding it back. The boost really is noticeable. Logically I don't need it but after using it it really does feel nice. You wouldn't think .5 seconds makes a difference but it really does. It adds an additional level of snappiness on top of the base level of snappiness that's hard to explain.

As I said in another thread, brilliant marketing on Tesla's part with the trial before you buy. Reminds me of the days the dealers would hang around the high schools and offer the first hit free. A very insidious, though effective, marketing tactic.

As my wife says, I can resist anything but temptation. The problem for me has been where to stop. If the MY LR is good and the MYP better, then go for it. But wait, the M3P is even better. Oh wait, there is the MS LR which is quicker than both. Almost forgot, now there is the Plaid. It took all of my willpower to not put an order in on the Plaid. Thankfully my wife is a moderating influence on me.

It is already hard enough to control my urges to go fast on my hyperbikes and having a car with sort of close performance would have not been good for me. I'll still have to try the AB anyway. I know I'll buy it once I try it. A 0.6 second improvement is significant, just like the jump from the MY LR AB to the MYP.