Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret buying the Acceleration Boost for their Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, for those who got the acceleration boost refunded, does your software tab still says 'acceleration boost included'?

I played around with acceleration boost for the first 24 hours after getting the car and decided to request a refund and think about it again later. After getting the refund, under the Software tab to MYLR, it says 'acceleration boost included' BUT when I go to the driving tab I only have chill and standard (not sport) so it's probably safe to assume my car doesn't have acceleration boost?

WAIT! you can do that????

Definitely do the trial even if you plan to buy it. Start the trial when you will have a chance to drive the car a lot over those 2 days. Do a bunch of pulls, impress your friends and family, and then try to live without it for a few days to a week. If you have to have it, buy it.

The top tip is to buy it, then shortly after cancel it. The trial will continue for the full 48 hours but now you won't be stressing about forgetting or missing slightly the cancellation window.

It does take a few days to refund, but that's a cooling off period for you anyway.

I tried the AB this way, and it was a very noticeable improvement from a pull, but didn't do anything for daily driving, or passing speed acceleration. The standard AWD is more than enough for any traffic battles, so since I got it out of my system over those 2 days of beating on my car, I decided to use the money to upgrade the suspension on my M3.

Definitely do the trial even if you plan to buy it. Start the trial when you will have a chance to drive the car a lot over those 2 days. Do a bunch of pulls, impress your friends and family, and then try to live without it for a few days to a week. If you have to have it, buy it.

The top tip is to buy it, then shortly after cancel it. The trial will continue for the full 48 hours but now you won't be stressing about forgetting or missing slightly the cancellation window.

It does take a few days to refund, but that's a cooling off period for you anyway.

I tried the AB this way, and it was a very noticeable improvement from a pull, but didn't do anything for daily driving, or passing speed acceleration. The standard AWD is more than enough for any traffic battles, so since I got it out of my system over those 2 days of beating on my car, I decided to use the money to upgrade the suspension on my M3.
This is great advice. I knew though after the first few runs I wasn't giving it up.

If we had bought the M3 LR, I don't think I would have bothered. After driving it, I thought it struck the right balance of performance that I wanted in a daily driver. So adding boost to the MY LR, got me pretty close to the M3 LR. I definitely notice the difference in passing situations. I saw almost a half second decrease in passing times of 30-70 mph (3.7 vs 3.2).

What I like the best is that even at a low state of charge, it is still quicker than it ever was coming fresh of a charge, at 100% SOC, and everything warmed up to optimal temperatures. So I always have that "freshly charged" feeling without the battery degradation that comes along with charing to >90% SOC. So the way I look at it is I have reduced battery degradation by not having to charge so high to get the performance I am looking for.

I took my two oldest kids who ride sport bikes a lot for rides individually. I did it a few weeks after stock and both of their impressions were "meh, I thought Teslas were quick." Which was sort of my impression too of the MY LR. I didn't tell them I was adding the boost and took them out individually again. My eldest's reaction was "What did you do to the car dad?" I have a history of tinkering with our cars and motorcycles. My other kid didn't say anything at all. For the first time, I saw the Tesla grin show up on his face. That told me everything I needed to know.

Now I am hoping they will come up with an acceleration boost option for the MS LR I have on order.

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA
If the acceleration boost is purchased for the 2020 Y, can the Low Regen Braking still be maintained or is that option lost with some type of software upgrade?
Tesla discontinued Low Regen for Model Y vehicles built after August/September 2020. The driving modes are Normal and Chill. If you purchase the Acceleration Boost (AB) the driving modes become Sport and Chill. Neither driving mode affects regenerative braking, only acceleration.

I've been driving with it for about a week and did a lot of testing. Here are my favorite things about it:
  • Performance seems to vary less than it did before with different charge levels. I've tested from 60%-90%, fresh off the charger or sitting in the garage all night long and cold. The 0-60 times are typically less than a .1 second difference regardless of charge level between the 60-90 SOC.
  • Passing time for 30-70 is significantly improved. My time previously was 3.7 and now I am at about 3.2. My previous time matches what C&D got with their road test for a MY LR and the 3.2 is what they got for the MYP. MYP is still quicker initially off the line though.
  • No apparent impact on range. Maybe if I drove everywhere full throttle it might, but that wasn't how I drove before.
  • The stock sleeper appearance makes it more fun at lights. Finally was able to pull my friend's Macan to 60.
  • Great option if you want a faster 7 seater as there is no performance version with 7 seats.
For a $2k investment, and if you are a performance oriented person, who either didn't want to spend the money on an MYP, or maybe you wanted better ride quality than the MYP, maybe you needed 7 seats and still want more fun, then the MY LR with boost is a great option. Never once did I think about sending it back for a refund.

To reinforce the point about AB being quicker than stock at lower SoC, here's a run at 32%. Not too shabby and much quicker than stock at 100%.
Screenshot_20210531-170749.jpg

This is probably answered before but If I purchase this will I have an option to turn AB on or off anytime? Any plans for that happening in the future?
No once you buy it it will be on all the time. I think if you put the car in Chill mode however it will be the same as Chill mode without AB. Frankly though even if you could turn it off there really is no reason to.

You just have Sport or Chill. Just don't floor the throttle in Sport and you basically have your old car. I would never go back and I don't have any regrets not buying the Performance version I originally had on order. I have been towing a few different trailers the last few days and the MY does an amazing job doing that. I was shocked how good it was and the extra punch of the AB is nice too.

• Passing time for 30-70 is significantly improved. My time previously was 3.7 and now I am at about 3.2. My previous time matches what C&D got with their road test for a MY LR and the 3.2 is what they got for the MYP. MYP is still quicker initially off the line though.
That’s some good information. I think this is what matters more for me than 0-60 times. 30-70 is when most people merge onto the freeway from an on-ramp. That’s when I stomp on the accelerator the most.
I’m still debating if I should spend that $2000. I feel like the Y is already plenty fast. I know I’ll be replacing tires more often if I buy the AB because I’ll be stomping on the accelerator all the time.

Reactions: GOVA and hcdavis3