Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret getting a P after you did mods?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a M3P, hoping I could leave it stock, but I hate the fender gap and dark wheels. So knowing I will get a set of coilovers and new wheels/tires, am I foolish to not just get a LR w/ boost? I won't track it and i know its fast either way, I just love the red brakes, spoiler, and feared regret of not going "top shelf" but now rethinking since the mods are a sure thing...I see a lot of P's w/ new wheels and suspension, figured you'd have good insight?

If you're going coilovers and new wheels/tires, you could just as easily go for the LR, get the acceleration boost and save yourself a few grand over the P. I'm guessing it wouldn't cost much to have the LR calipers painted Red and the Spoiler is available on the Tesla Shop for around $1000 if I remember correctly.

This is coming from a M3P owner too lol. I'm not planning on doing anything to mine other than tint though. I'm actually a big fan of the Uberturbine wheels. Different strokes for different folks!

Reactions: TBrownTX
Of course you can do all the mods to a LR but I guess most people who buy a P just cant be bothered to do all the mods to still have a LR and a slower vehicle! If I want a LR to look like a P then the cost will be pretty similar to get it like for like. (boost, 20" wheels and tires, spoiler, lowering etc).

I’ve never driven a Tesla before I bought my P and took delivery in March. I was blown away. Few days ago I drove my coworkers LR and he drove my P. They are different. P feels not only quicker but more nimble (if it makes sense). Just my $0.02
Yes, the P definitely takes it up a couple of notches for handling and speed over an LR. The downside is the mileage!

Reactions: JohnnyEV
M3P is a want, not a need. I’m a car guy and I know what I wanted in a 3. I want the fastest option trim. I want the best [factory] brakes. I want big [factory] rims. I don’t want to start with a Mustang GT and build it into a GT500 or somehow settle for anything less. Sure, I might change a few things; did that with my Cobra. But I know I wanted to start with a Cobra rather than, for whatever reason, building from a GT.

That said, people that are OK with an LR w/boost, more power to you. Different strokes for different folks. I literally don’t think any less or any more of anyone for their choice. My considerations are not someone else’s. (Some frustration w/ society coming out here. 😁)

Not a regret, but the only thing notable relating to mods is the lack of available power mods (talking about beyond the LR boost option). Taking the 3 to the strip, that’s when it really hit me ... that’s it; it’s not going any faster. With my Cobra, I slapped a few go-fast parts and upped the power ~60%. If I want more, there are other options; sky’s the limit. Can’t do that with a Tesla.

The only thing that affects the range on the P is the wheel and tire combination. If you were to put on efficient 18" wheels (Like Fast EV01+) with Michelin MXM4 that is stock on the LRs, you'd get the same range as the LR.
For me I don't really car about range and I would not want to change my 20s for 18s. 18s just look too small IMO. Also, the GO pedal is way too tempting on the P to get the range of the LR! LOL

The motors aren't the same anymore. And like was mentioned, there's no adding a blower, building engine etc. You buy the best power train you want from the beginning because that's what you get. There might be a chance Tesla feels the 980s in the P aren't maxed out and offers a boost for us at some point also.

The motors aren't the same anymore. And like was mentioned, there's no adding a blower, building engine etc. You buy the best power train you want from the beginning because that's what you get. There might be a chance Tesla feels the 980s in the P aren't maxed out and offers a boost for us at some point also.
As much as I'd like to see Elon offer more power for more money on our P's, I'm thinking that we are probably at (or at least very near) the limit of what they can do with the current hardware.

Honestly, I don't think it's a motor limitation (I'd be willing to bet that the 980 has more to spare) but rather a battery limitation. We are pretty much tapping the battery for all the current it can muster in our cars. There is a limit to the rate at which a battery can deliver its energy, and for the size of battery that we have right now, we're getting darn close to that limit. Remember that the Model S Performance started with a 90 kWh battery, and is up to 100 now. The bigger the battery, the more current you can pull per unit of time. Our ~76 -~80 kWh batteries are doing about all they can.

It will be fun to see what happens when the new 4680 cell hits the Model 3. With any luck, we'll get a better "c" rating out of it, meaning we can pull more current per unit of time. There's also the possibility that we might even see higher capacity packs! Put the two together, and you have a perfect recipe for giving the Model 3 Performance a bit of a boost. Shut up and take my money, Elon! :)

There's also the problem of "you can't have the pony outrun the horse." The Model S has to stay the fastest. With the Model S Plaid+ widening the gap between the quickness of the S vs the 3, it gives Tesla a bit more room to let the pony run.

Here's hoping Elon lets the pony run sometime Real Soon Now.

I think the limitation is probably not the battery. Combined motor power of the M3P is about 360kW. At full draw on an 80 kWh pack, that's about 4.4C, which is not that much. Compare that with my rather pedestrian 2012 Chevrolet Volt that has a 111 kW motor and a 16 kWh battery, which results in a 6.9C draw at full output.

There is probably a hardware limitation indeed, but it's likely not the cells. I suspect it's more the inverters or even the wiring that are getting close to their max current carrying limitation. The best way to get around this would be to move to an 800V drivetrain battery system.

The cars are so stupid fast now that more power really isn't that important to me anymore (or maybe I’m getting old).

At this point, assuming we’re talking about the P, I’d prefer that Tesla’s improvement money go to things like handling (less body roll, better turning radius, better steering feedback), sport(ier) seats, and general refinement (panel gaps, better quality interior trim pieces, squeaks/rattles, etc).

I think the limitation is probably not the battery. Combined motor power of the M3P is about 360kW. At full draw on an 80 kWh pack, that's about 4.4C, which is not that much. Compare that with my rather pedestrian 2012 Chevrolet Volt that has a 111 kW motor and a 16 kWh battery, which results in a 6.9C draw at full output.

There is probably a hardware limitation indeed, but it's likely not the cells. I suspect it's more the inverters or even the wiring that are getting close to their max current carrying limitation. The best way to get around this would be to move to an 800V drivetrain battery system.
All good points.

Honestly, at this point, there's just no knowing for sure what the limitation will end up being. As you stated, it could very well be a wire size limitation... we just honestly don't know.

I do have some RC quad copter batteries that are good for 75C discharge! But it's all so dependent on the battery formulation, as well as how many cycles they're rated for. So it's pretty hard to compare C ratings between automotive batteries. But my inner nerd instincts are saying that Tesla just isn't going to press the C discharge rate any further, as longevity has a lot to do with how fast the battery is discharged and also charged.

Time will tell... hopefully!

The cars are so stupid fast now that more power really isn't that important to me anymore (or maybe I’m getting old).

At this point, assuming we’re talking about the P, I’d prefer that Tesla’s improvement money go to things like handling (less body roll, better turning radius, better steering feedback), sport(ier) seats, and general refinement (panel gaps, better quality interior trim pieces, squeaks/rattles, etc).

not gonna happen. Tesla is american and HP >>> all. theres a reason german magazines review the charger hellcat and give it lukewarm reviews and tell people to go back to their BMW 540i with a 0 to 60 of 5s. hp just isnt all that important in europe.