Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret not opting for performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was my line of thinking. I put in an order for LR and after 1 day changed to P. I figured I was going to change to aftermarket wheels (no way I'm running Geminis) and pay for Acceleration Boost so that was probably a $5000 delta which makes the $7000 price difference only $2000. Plus I get to get my vehicle sooner.

I think one thing to consider too is that we don't know what the landscape of the used car market will be like in 4-6 months. I can sell my current Model 3 probably at a higher price now than later after delivery for a LR.
Just curious what you said " no way I'm running Geminis".... what's wrong or bad having the Geminis wheels??? Am I missing something?

Reactions: jsight
Ordered on introduction in Mar 2019 a MYP7. It was possible on first day to order such configuration. By Feb 2021, Tesla contacted me to change to P or LR7. I kind of glad now that I have LR. I find that I drive very conservatively by my lifetime Wh/mil of 250 after 9500 miles. Clearly I don't have the "need for speed".

Ordered on introduction in Mar 2019 a MYP7. It was possible on first day to order such configuration. By Feb 2021, Tesla contacted me to change to P or LR7. I kind of glad now that I have LR. I find that I drive very conservatively by my lifetime Wh/mil of 250 after 9500 miles. Clearly I don't have the "need for speed".
I don’t want to talk about my WH 🤣😂😉😂. It is definitely not meeting the EPA projection!

Reactions: bluenycom
Most everyone is doing 75-80 mph on the highway. I am always going to be in the low to mid 300's. It all comes down to how fast you accelerate or the speeds on the highway. I'd rather be at a higher rate of consumption than be stuck on roads at 55 mph.

Reactions: Schulz1983
Most everyone is doing 75-80 mph on the highway. I am always going to be in the low to mid 300's. It all comes down to how fast you accelerate or the speeds on the highway. I'd rather be at a higher rate of consumption than be stuck on roads at 55 mph.
It's not the acceleration of the car, it's the speed of the car that affects range in EVs. The faster you go, the more drag there is, and that is what lowers the range.
If you accelerated from 70 to 80, and slowed to 70 and repeated many times. It would yield the same result as if you drove at 70 half the time, and then changed to 80 half the time. The number of accelerations done is irrelevant. However, having many accelerations, may add wear to your tires.

It's not the acceleration of the car, it's the speed of the car that affects range in EVs. The faster you go, the more drag there is, and that is what lowers the range.
If you accelerated from 70 to 80, and slowed to 70 and repeated many times. It would yield the same result as if you drove at 70 half the time, and then changed to 80 half the time. The number of accelerations done is irrelevant. However, having many accelerations, may add wear to your tires.
The I^2*R losses, both in the battery and motor, are higher in your first scenario than the 2nd. Consumption would be higher.

It's true that speed has a big impact (80 MPH is 1.33 times faster than 60 and will consume about 1.33 times more Wh/mi, but high current usage (hard accelerations or strong regeneration braking) also create inefficiencies.

Reactions: rxlawdude
The I^2*R losses, both in the battery and motor, are higher in your first scenario than the 2nd. Consumption would be higher.

It's true that speed has a big impact (80 MPH is 1.33 times faster than 60 and will consume about 1.33 times more Wh/mi, but high current usage (hard accelerations or strong regeneration braking) also create inefficiencies.
While that may be true, the amount of time accelerating and decelerating is generally short compared to time spent at a speed (unless you are racing), so that should not have as much impact as the drag, which is continuous.

Doesn't drag increase at the square of speed increase?? It's not linear?? Not totally positive, I think I missed that day in school!!
Yes, it goes up proportional to the square of the speed, but then there are also speeds where the smooth laminar flow that Tesla spent so much effort maintaining might pull away from the car, increasing the drag coefficient a little more.