Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret not opting for performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only reason I regret not getting the mYP is the wait time is half as long. Alas, the LR should be delivered soon and I’ll forget that was ever a problem. I’m considering the AB but the instant acceleration of the LR still gives the perception it’s faster than it really is. The lack of downshifting, building turbo/power, it really gets down.

People are going to have different priorities, so the OP will have to decide what adds value to the car to him. Every Tesla ever made (including my M3 SR+) has more than enough instant torque and power to do anything needed in day-to-day driving. I don't get any thrill from racing from red light to red light, and I don't drive in a way where I'm even beginning to touch the potential of my MY LR in daily driving. I prefer the better ride, more pothole-resistant tires, and longer range of the LR and for me the increased speed of the P or AB has zero value. For me to buy a P they'd have to discount it below the LR, as in my value equation it has no positives and several negatives. As always, YMYMV (your Model Y may vary).

In Canada you only have to sell one of your two kidneys to pay for your MYLR.

MYP requires both be sold.
I feel your pain, well at least felt it for a while. I lived in Montreal and saw the effect of the high taxes and GST and PST (almost as bad as European VAT), then the provincial income tax and federal tax. Apparently, the Canadian federal and provincial governments loved my salary more than I did. Then the US gov't wanted their cut on top of it.

I really enjoyed Montreal but I made sure I never worked there again and only went back as a tourist.

I was gonna go with MYLR with the Inductions and AB. Difference is only $3k then. Once i added spoiler, painting my calipers and looking at suspension to lower it, the MYP just makes way more sense.
Exact same reasoning here. Was never considering the Performance when I first was toying with the idea of a MY, but with the LR price increases, I looked at the same $3K diff after induction + speed boost + way longer delivery time of the LR vs P and decided to go with the P.

Exact same reasoning here. Was never considering the Performance when I first was toying with the idea of a MY, but with the LR price increases, I looked at the same $3K diff after induction + speed boost + way longer delivery time of the LR vs P and decided to go with the P.
Plus the headlights, i forgot to mention the upgraded headlights as well. So much win for a little price increase at the current pricing.

Reactions: minnesnowta
If I were buying today I would get the P. We bought back when the base was $49k so even with the turbines we paid $51. It wasn’t worth an extra $9k for the performance model. We also bought ours the day we test drove so we didn’t have the wait aspect. Now that prices are getting closer I would buy the P. After curbing 2 turbines there is no way I would run 21s. That is my fault but the wheels sticking out of the tires don’t help. Putting 265 winter tires on the turbines to address that issue.

This was my line of thinking. I put in an order for LR and after 1 day changed to P. I figured I was going to change to aftermarket wheels (no way I'm running Geminis) and pay for Acceleration Boost so that was probably a $5000 delta which makes the $7000 price difference only $2000. Plus I get to get my vehicle sooner.

I think one thing to consider too is that we don't know what the landscape of the used car market will be like in 4-6 months. I can sell my current Model 3 probably at a higher price now than later after delivery for a LR.

I think it was at least a 9k difference when I bought my LR. I wouldn't have stayed with the Ubers, so I would have spent more money there. Maybe I could have sold them, but most likely net-net I would have had to add in some cash, probably a grand or more. None of the other "benefits" of the MYP mattered to me other than the better acceleration.

Even factoring in AB, it would have been still about a 6-7k delta minimum. I didn't and don't want it lowered, so the LR has turned out to be a great option.

if I was in a hurry, and with how close the price delta is now, and I only needed 5 seats, I'd probably buy the MYP and get rid of the Ubers. Far and away, the AB has been the best bang for the buck upgrade. If they would bring back the stealth MYP option instead of forcing the PuP on everyone, I'd definitely have gone that route in the first place.