Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regretted getting a Performance M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model 3 Performance...

- Fastest top speed
- Fastest sprint from 0-60mph
- Sports profile
- Controllable 4x4 bias, Track Mode
- Decent battery range

Now people bang on about 0.7 seconds faster not being much. I've said it in the past, and I'll say it again...

0.7 seconds is a 20% to 25% power increase over a boosted Long Range... at the sub 4 second Super Car league sprint times.

Do you know how much people pay for a 25% boost to get from 4 seconds to 3.1 seconds... £10,000 is peanuts. Just the clutch upgrade in an ICE car would cost you that !!!

That 20-25% is the difference between... " ooo that's fast"... and "f'k slow down dude, the blood is draining from my brain"...

It isn't just 0.7 seconds... it's a LOT extra at this level.

In my opinion, £10,000 is cheap, if you want to experience Ferarri, Maclaren, Lambourghini performance without the overhead maintenance or running costs.

You're SPOILED just to have the option at this price point.

Included in the price, in my opinion, they're chucking in the wheels, carbon spoiler, alloy pedals, badging, brake discs and calipers, lowered suspension for free !!

Last edited:
Book a test drive of the LR (without boost of course) and a performance.

I did that, and decided that it wasn’t worth the £10k extra. Only you can really decide, so go and try them.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Has anyone analysed 0-60 on the LR+AB vs P? The Tesla numbers use 1ft rollout to make the P appear slightly faster but don't do that for the LR. So does that give you back maybe 0.1-0.2s? that'd take the LR+AB close to 3.5s 0-60
Pretty sure Matt Watson (Carwow) has dragged all 3 model 3’s against each other. The P & LR were v v close over 1/4mile with the SR obviously quite a way back. Off the line the P was quicker but 20 up then nothing in it & when he ran them @ 50 acceleration then the LR was actually gaining iirc

Reactions: yessuz
Pretty sure Matt Watson (Carwow) has dragged all 3 model 3’s against each other. The P & LR were v v close over 1/4mile with the SR obviously quite a way back. Off the line the P was quicker but 20 up then nothing in it & when he ran them @ 50 acceleration then the LR was actually gaining iirc

But that doesn't tell the whole story...

That initial Performance accelleration power dump helps you with initial overtaking accelleration. It goes like a stabbed rat.

Getting a cars length ahead immediately IS AN OVERTAKE.

Every time, it's a faster car... especially from a standing start to get onto roundabouts, traffic light lane merging, crossing junctions, merging from Give Way markers, slip roads, urban to National Speed Limit changes... etc

Doesn't matter if a LR can catch up... I'm already ahead !

You have to remember in the UK, the National Speed Limit is 70mph... the Model 3 Performance dominates this speed range.

Last edited:
Reactions: 73henny
There's one other weird spinoff benefit to buying the Performance model.

I don't know if it's because there's less of them on the road, but my Insurance was CHEAPER than a boosted Long Range model.

So do an Insurance check against both cars... see what it says.

There's one other weird spinoff benefit to buying the Performance model.

I don't know if it's because there's less of them on the road, but my Insurance was CHEAPER than a boosted Long Range model.

So do an Insurance check against both cars... see what it says.

can you get an insurance quote with the boost? as its a software update I’d hoped maybe some insurance places just let it go without adding on?

I went through the LR vs P before ordering. Personally I couldn't spend £50k on a car I didn't particularly like the look of. Yes I know I could boost acceleration, change the wheels etc but I can't be bothered with that, it would cost a chunk of the difference anyway, and a modified car is in my experience always more expensive to insure than a factory car.
If you're happy with the LR either as supplied or modified then great, if not then the Performance.

But that doesn't tell the whole story...

That initial Performance accelleration power dump helps you with initial overtaking accelleration. It goes like a stabbed rat.

Getting a cars length ahead immediately IS AN OVERTAKE.

Every time, it's a faster car... especially from a standing start to get onto roundabouts, traffic light lane merging, crossing junctions, merging from Give Way markers, slip roads, urban to National Speed Limit changes... etc

Doesn't matter if a LR can catch up... I'm already ahead !

You have to remember in the UK, the National Speed Limit is 70mph... the Model 3 Performance dominates this speed range.

So what?

3.1s M3P v 4.2s LR v somewhere between 7-10s probably for an average car. At a roundabout/traffic light/crossing junction or whatever grand prix either the M3P or LR will see off most else that’s likely to be sat there beside them, or be able to go for the same gap.

Both M3P or LR is more than plenty quick enough for non track driving on the UK road network, in its congested and not very well maintained state. That makes ~£10k a lot of dosh to pay essentially just for pub bragging rights 🍻:)

can you get an insurance quote with the boost? as its a software update I’d hoped maybe some insurance places just let it go without adding on?
Some will, some won't. I informed mine (Admiral) and they just noted it on my policy, with a £9:50 admin charge. I'd always inform them, or they'll use non-disclosure to try to get out of any claim. How they'll know if you have it or not, I don't know.

Some will, some won't. I informed mine (Admiral) and they just noted it on my policy, with a £9:50 admin charge. I'd always inform them, or they'll use non-disclosure to try to get out of any claim. How they'll know if you have it or not, I don't know.

Your screen will have a 'sports button' won't it? That's how they'll know...

Last edited:
Cheers for all the replies folks, some food for thought.

What's drawing me to the performance is it seems to be it is more 'complete' car for the way I'd like it to be, it's just trying to justify to myself the extra 10K is worth it. If it was 5K etc then it would be no contest for the P.

If I get the LR I would go with the larger 19 inch rims, but don't like the silver, so would need to get them powder coated. Then i'd get the calipers sprayed red at the same time. Then of course I'd add the boost. Would be around 2.5K extra at the point, then whatever the spolier is, then updating insurance. T

...can't seem to edit my post, wasn't finished yet! :)

The M3P arrives with all of the above done, I really just need to decide for myself if it is worth it. I'm also coming from an F82 M4 so use to the harsher ride. Wil get a test drive arranged. Only been in a work mates LR so far the the boost.

Reactions: DM206433
Xheck Rich Builds video of Performance VS Long Range AFTER Ghost Upgrade. Some sort of aftermarket wizardry. LR woth that upgrade is Faster!

I test drove Performance. Ordered LR. It really has mire than enough POWAAAAAA and I still can spend 1500 for AB to bring it to P territory.

And LR ride is just smoother

While the 0-60 time tells part of the story to for the P vs LR, you have to look at where the P is faster than a boosted LR. In reality that is only about naught to 25/30 mph. Out on the motorway, from a roll, the boosted LR will easily run heads up with the P and likely pull it at higher speeds. All the P gets you is basically a harder launch.

I went back and forth about this for some time when debating between the P and LR version of either the 3/Y. End up buying the Y LR and adding boost. I tested a lot of cars at the Tesla store and kept most of my data. When comparing the MYP times vs my 7 seat MYLR with boost (which is heavier than a normal 5 seater) my times were as good or better than the MYP in the 30-50 mph and 50 - 70 mph acceleration ranges. When checking from 30-70 I was .1 seconds quicker than the P. Again this is for the Y.

So when we went to order a 3 for my wife, it was an easy decision, we'll buy the 3 LR, add boost later. It is a no brainer. Track mode isn't that easy to implement. While I like the looks of the Ubers they are heavy as heck and easy to kerb. For the price savings I can put on really good suspension (if we want), lightweight forged wheels and add boost and still have money left over compared to the M3P and have a much better road car that is only fractionally slower off the line whereupon the P's advantage disappears.

We'll also have a car with better range and cheaper insurance (at least in the states). I could car less about the higher top speed as not many place you can exercise it not to mention the energy consumption is substantial at top speed so you can't get many miles at the speed anyway. So the higher top speed is mostly academic. OTOH you'll appreciate the better compliance of the LR when the road conditions are ideal. While I am not in the UK now, I worked in London and Dublin for quite some time and drove all over whenever I wasn't working so I have some understanding of traffic and road conditions there.

Some people though want to impress their mates no matter what. So that might be a compelling argument to throw the money at the P. If you don't want to spend the extra money it is so easy to turn an LR into a P as Tesla did so little to really differentiate them anyway. The LR with boost is probably the best value in the Tesla lineup. Supercar performance with a pretty reasonable price tag. About the only thing that is going to beat a Tesla when you launch anyway is another Tesla.

Now if Tesla were to make a proper performance model, I'll be one of the first in line. Basically they took the US 1950's hotrod approach of putting in a bigger motor and a few bolt-ons. The one exception is the track mode which isn't that convenient to use on the street but I do like it a lot, just not enough to throw more money at Tesla for other "upgrades" that have limited value to me.

Reactions: Temper Tantrum