Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regretted getting a Performance M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Smithers,

Yessir, that’s me.

Do you have a TM3 too?
I have a M3P on order, hopefully for delivery in March. I can't bloody wait! I've never been so excited about getting a car. Had a test drive in a LR and it just changed my perceptions about driving. I just had to have one! :D

I've currently got an F31 330d, which has been absolutely amazing in the 6 years I've had it. The Tesla will have its work cut out!

Nice to see a fellow Beemer owner and familiar face. Funny how we've taken very similar directions with our next cars!

Reading this is making me regret my decision to get the performance :(

The consensus seems to be the LR with AB is on a par with the performance model in terms of speed and acceleration. Why have Tesla done this, because it kind of defeats the object of the performance model if you can just spend £1.5k on a LR and get the equivalent performance.

On Halloween there's plenty of people running around dressed as Spiderman...

... but there's only one Spiderman 😁👍

• Funny
Reactions: Gatsojon
I have a P3D- which was about £50k. I'm very happy with it but the cost of new P3D is eye watering so I'd go down the LR+AB route.

I've also put a spoiler on and had it added to the cars configuration so it's in the app and the car visualisation.
Most definitely the best value Model 3 they ever sold, at the time the P- was practically the same price of the LR and now the LR is more expensive, the trade in price from Tesla was also very good right now for me

I’m not
But that doesn't tell the whole story...

That initial Performance accelleration power dump helps you with initial overtaking accelleration. It goes like a stabbed rat.

Getting a cars length ahead immediately IS AN OVERTAKE.

Every time, it's a faster car... especially from a standing start to get onto roundabouts, traffic light lane merging, crossing junctions, merging from Give Way markers, slip roads, urban to National Speed Limit changes... etc

Doesn't matter if a LR can catch up... I'm already ahead !

You have to remember in the UK, the National Speed Limit is 70mph... the Model 3 Performance dominates this speed range
But that doesn't tell the whole story...

That initial Performance accelleration power dump helps you with initial overtaking accelleration. It goes like a stabbed rat.

Getting a cars length ahead immediately IS AN OVERTAKE.

Every time, it's a faster car... especially from a standing start to get onto roundabouts, traffic light lane merging, crossing junctions, merging from Give Way markers, slip roads, urban to National Speed Limit changes... etc

Doesn't matter if a LR can catch up... I'm already ahead !

You have to remember in the UK, the National Speed Limit is 70mph... the Model 3 Performance dominates this speed range.
I don’t deny that, just stating what I’ve seen. The fact is though 90%+ of the time you can only accelerate as fast as the car in front of you away from any junction, lights etc. £10k is a heavy price to pay for that less than 10% imo, I’d rather keep my fillings intact in my LR which is more than fast enough for the real world & keep the £10k in my bank account for what is mainly a software change😉

Keep in mind that the Performance also has uprated brakes and lowered suspension.
The calipers are basically the same, just painted. The rotors are slightly wider. Honestly that is a moot point in general as 99.99% of the time for most people they are using regen braking.

The lowered suspension is about .6". I haven't been able to tell if they actually changed out the shock absorber. So most likely you have a higher rate spring with the same shock, which is really the wrong way to go about it. Tesla won't win any awards with ride compliance on the P and it isn't like the 3 rides like a luxury car to begin with. They did away with the lowered suspension recently.

One other thing to keep in mind is running costs. If you exercise that off the line acceleration advantage of the P, you will shred the tires pretty quickly and they cost more to replace. A coworker destroyed his in about 8k miles.

Slap a spoiler on it, paint or get caliper covers and almost nobody will know you aren't driving a P. You can always find the heavy boat anchor Ubers if you want to continue the charade. Here a lot of people sell them and buy a proper performance wheel. I can't tell you what a difference just putting a lightweight wheel on my MY LR did. It improved the ride, handling, responsiveness, braking and even acceleration a bit (consistently .1 improvement in 0-60). Not to mention how good they looked the car.

I wish they still made the P- (aka stealth). That was a great option. I really wish they would bring it back. It was nice when you had a choice to add the PUP or not.

I don’t deny that, just stating what I’ve seen. The fact is though 90%+ of the time you can only accelerate as fast as the car in front of you away from any junction, lights etc. £10k is a heavy price to pay for that less than 10% imo, I’d rather keep my fillings intact in my LR which is more than fast enough for the real world & keep the £10k in my bank account for what is mainly a software change😉
It is pretty much a software change when the P- was available it was essentially a LR with performance acceleration, at £5k extra they would make a lot more sales I believe its priced at £10k to deter people from buying the P and go with the LR, every other country has it around the £5k mark so it is a little strange.

Reactions: Temper Tantrum
What is strange is the delta on the Y between LR and P is only about £3.6k in the US. At that differential it really doesn't make much sense to go with the LR from purely a cost perspective when you factor in resale.

Based on the differences between the 3 and Y performance models' content, it looks like they are £2.2k for the track mode. That is really the main difference between what they offer. Maybe some slight cost increase on their end for going with 21" wheels and appropriate tires. Makes it seem like they are really gouging people now for the upgrade to P on the 3 when you compare it to the Y upgrade to P. Earlier the price deltas were very similar.

Reactions: Rooster6655
For reference. Here are 2 drag runs; one is the M3P and the other is the M3 LR w/boost. Take note of each car how long it takes to reach 60 mph from 30 mph. This were just two random dragy results I pulled from this forum from threads I was watching earlier. Neither are the fastest runs I've seen but good to compare. I don't know the SoC but doesn't matter too much for runs to 60. As you can see, after 30 mph, they are pretty much dead even.

Not using this as absolute reference but just general. Just reinforces that once you are on a roll, the P's advantage disappears. Really all the P is just even more of an acceleration boost to 30 mph. After that you are no better, and I've seen in many instances, were the P is slower, than the 3 w/boost.

Clearly applies to the 3/Y series. The S LR vs the Plaid is on an entirely different level. Would be interesting to see if they ever come out with boost for the S LR. I doubt it would approach the Plaid at any speed but the MS LR is quicker than the M3P naught to 60 and crushes it above that speed. It was the best performance bargain from Tesla until they bumped the price up so much this last year.

The 3 with boost will easily take the BMW with no issues.

M3P.jpeg
AGink5B.jpg