Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regretted getting a Performance M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a performance and I'm happy with it. I love that it's always ready to go, no launch control nonsense etc.

That said, now that I'm used to electric car ownership I think I would generally recommend people get the standard range. The fact you can charge to 100% often means you have similar range day to day. The effect of your max range on a long trip is only useful to lengthen the gap to your first charging stop.

would generally agree but add the model you should go for is the one which will do a round trip to your longest 'normal' trip that you woudl prefer not to stop for. So if you regularly do 160-180 mile round trips where each leg is 80-90 miles you may not need a stop but you can't easily charge when you get there. That works for a RWD. But if you need to do 220-250 mile round trips so each leg is 110+ miles the LR can work.

Big trips cross country they can all do equally well but people think they need the bigger battery to go to scotland. I partly blame youtuber obsessions with road trips for that :p

would generally agree but add the model you should go for is the one which will do a round trip to your longest 'normal' trip that you woudl prefer not to stop for. So if you regularly do 160-180 mile round trips where each leg is 80-90 miles you may not need a stop but you can't easily charge when you get there. That works for a RWD. But if you need to do 220-250 mile round trips so each leg is 110+ miles the LR can work.

Big trips cross country they can all do equally well but people think they need the bigger battery to go to scotland. I partly blame youtuber obsessions with road trips for that :p

Yeah that's a fair point, something you do once or more a week or so.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Got P (Y20) drive in chill most of the time (sorry fast comes with uncomfortable). Love the look but it is as hard as...if I drive over a coin I can tell if its heads or tails!
18/19" aftermarket wheels can still look good. Performance brakes go rusty with lack of serious use.

I agonised for weeks whether to go for a LR or P. After hours of YouTube videos, decided on the LR. Added AB, and performance is not too far off a P anyway. As someone said, we're in supercar territory whichever you choose, and the situation rarely arises when you can use the available performance to it's maximum.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Has anyone analysed 0-60 on the LR+AB vs P? The Tesla numbers use 1ft rollout to make the P appear slightly faster but don't do that for the LR. So does that give you back maybe 0.1-0.2s? that'd take the LR+AB close to 3.5s 0-60

Has anyone analysed 0-60 on the LR+AB vs P? The Tesla numbers use 1ft rollout to make the P appear slightly faster but don't do that for the LR. So does that give you back maybe 0.1-0.2s? that'd take the LR+AB close to 3.5s 0-60
Neck and neck on the road.

At the risk of it turning into another P vs LR thread, the LR with AB is 484hp and the P is 505hp. So 19hp, which when you are already putting down 500hp, makes no discernible difference at all.

But those uberturbines do look oh so good :p

Reactions: s88ats
Not regretted it, but I wouldn’t buy another one. If I do buy a Model 3 again it will be the LR.

The acceleration/performance is a novelty that wears off, can’t be sensibly used the majority of the time one is driving and makes for a bit of a hair trigger throttle that isn’t always ideal. Then as I get older I value my internal organs ever more so will also be looking for a smoother, less jarring, ride.

I wouldn’t say don’t get one, just be aware of the pros and cons.

LR v P for a Y is a conundrum. You can spec nice wheels on a LR…. But the acceleration between P and LR is greater than the 3. So even a boosted Y isn’t quite as quick as a P. If boost will even be available. Don’t think a YP is worth £10k though. Sensible hat on.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I too toiled over which one after test driving both, and ended up with a LR + Boost. I then tinted the windows and binned the wheel covers to make the looks acceptable. The performance on the LR is genuinely more than plenty, plus I don’t have any scuffed alloys yet, and my teeth are still intact from the more compliant but still sporty suspension, plus I have a bit more range to play with. I’ve also saved a sh1t load of cash. Which is nice.

All happy here with my decision.

Here's a funny old thing...

When I bought my M3P and I took it out to show my biker mates... the FIRST thing they asked me "... is it the Performance Model"

Now you can argue all you like, about aftermarket wheels, boost upgrades, same interior etc etc...

But to be able to answer "Yes, of course it's the Performance model..." is just Gold. You should have seen their faces, brightened my day.

Because any other answer just sounds like an excuse...