Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regretted getting a Performance M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The LR in stock form is very smooth, yet quick. The M3P is a lot more intense off the line. Take a ride in a boosted one if you can find it. For the minimal upcharge it is an excellent deal.

One thing I will note, is many passengers aren't too fond of the intense acceleration these cars are capable, especially with the instant ease they have to deliver it. So you can easily catch them unaware and while some may enjoy others may not. So what has happened in our house is I can only exercise the throttle vigorously when my wife is not in the car. This really reduces the number of times per day I can really enjoy the power the car has.

What she really hates is the hard launch that the M3P is capable of. From a roll she is a lot more tolerant. Maybe you are luckier with your spouse in this respect but OTOH my wife is pretty tolerant of all the toys I buy.

The LR in stock form is very smooth, yet quick. The M3P is a lot more intense off the line. Take a ride in a boosted one if you can find it. For the minimal upcharge it is an excellent deal.

One thing I will note, is many passengers aren't too fond of the intense acceleration these cars are capable, especially with the instant ease they have to deliver it. So you can easily catch them unaware and while some may enjoy others may not. So what has happened in our house is I can only exercise the throttle vigorously when my wife is not in the car. This really reduces the number of times per day I can really enjoy the power the car has.

What she really hates is the hard launch that the M3P is capable of. From a roll she is a lot more tolerant. Maybe you are luckier with your spouse in this respect but OTOH my wife is pretty tolerant of all the toys I buy.
My wife is the same. Hates the launch, while I love it.

However, when she is driving and someone fancies a go at the traffic light grand prix, she is more than happy. It does feel very different when you are sat in the passenger seat, I must admit.

Reactions: Temper Tantrum
We have a 3 year old daughter. I started her out on a 3 wheeled motorcycle (CanAm) when she was about 2. She always loved the acceleration rush even at 2. She couldn't call a motorcycle a motorcycle, so she called it a vroom vroom.

So when she went in the Tesla for the first time (when older) and I accelerated. She smiled and asked me "Daddy, is this a vroom vroom too?" I knew I had the next adrenalin junkie in the family. So whenever we take off fast from a stop, I warn her if I am going to accelerate hard. I tell we are going into launch mode. She puts her head against the car seat, holds on to the arm rests, and looks directly forward as we are ready for a moon launch. If rolling down the road I'd ask her if she wanted to go vroom vroom. Almost all the time it was an emphatic yes with her head bobbing up and down.

Then one day she told me that we couldn't do it any more. Apparently mommy told her that vroom vroom was bad. Overnight our acceleration fun was squashed like a bug on the floor. So that has even further reduced the opportunities to accelerate and limits it to pretty much just when I am in the car as I always drop our child off for school or care.

If you aren't prepared for the acceleration it can be pretty intense for people even in a "slow" Tesla. I still remember when I was young I finally saved up enough money to buy a Norton 850 Commando (my dream bike at the time). Under ideal conditions it might have been able to run a high 12 in the 1/4. Our basic Tesla family hauler would obliterate that bike at any speed range. You have to love the advances in technology.

Reactions: Lindenwood and PITA
...can't seem to edit my post, wasn't finished yet! :)

The M3P arrives with all of the above done, I really just need to decide for myself if it is worth it. I'm also coming from an F82 M4 so use to the harsher ride. Wil get a test drive arranged. Only been in a work mates LR so far the the boost.
I came from a F80 M3, and I found the Performance to have a softer ride on the 20" wheels.

Reactions: Temper Tantrum
When I bought my M3P and I took it out to show my biker mates... the FIRST thing they asked me "... is it the Performance Model"

But to be able to answer "Yes, of course it's the Performance model..." is just Gold. You should have seen their faces, brightened my day.
So they didn't know it was a performance model and it could have been a standard range one... hehe

Has anyone analysed 0-60 on the LR+AB vs P?
Here you go.

LRAWD2.png

The LR +AB is rated 366kW/498PS (net) and you can see CANBUS peak motor power of 370kW above.

The M3P is rated 377kW/513PS (net) but peaks around 430kW**, subject to the battery SoC and temperature. The M3P, particularly with the Panasonic 3L battery, was often battery power limited before 2021.4.11 and therefore no faster than the LR. This is why (older) Carwow drag tests sometimes produce unexpected results.

**If you do the math on 430kW (see Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY) then you end up with circa 400kW/544PS (net). The 2021 M3P has been dyno'd above 513PS at the wheels so is rated conservatively at just 11kW more than the LR +AB.

What is interesting for 2022 is that the M3P was certified with the cat.3 drive unit out of the MYP in combination with the LG 5L battery. This is rated at 393kW/534PS (net) with CANBUS peak power measured in excess of 460kW. All of the M3P delivered so far have been 2021-spec, with the Panasonic 3L battery. I have 'confirmed' that mine has the LG 5L, so I will be very curious to see if I also get the cat.3 DU.

The MYP drivetrain in the (lighter) M3P should bring a step in performance. It makes commercial sense to use common components for MYP and M3P but I suspect that the BMW i4 M50 arriving on the scene packing 400kW might have encouraged Tesla to give the M3P a little more urge for 2022.

Reactions: Cossa and btc1k
There's a lengthy discussion over on the German forum about the relative merits of the 2019-2022 M3P/LR. This picture is worth a thousand words (thanks again @eivissa). It shows the Panasonic 3L BMS max discharge power vs. SoC and temperature.

Discharge_3L_366kW.png

The horizontal line is at 366kW. In a nutshell, what you are getting with the P is the 'uncorked', maximum available power from the battery, above the line. Up to 440kW at higher SoC and temperature. In contrast the LR is capped at 366kW maximum.

You can see at lower battery temperatures that the LR would achieve the same power as the P up to circa 60% SoC. Either car can only accelerate as fast as the available battery power permits.

On the road the LR is less impacted by battery SoC and temperature. Power (performance) is more consistent. The P can comfortably make the rated 377kW at circa 50% SoC and more power above this, so will begin to feel noticeably faster above 70% SoC with higher temperature.

Now for 2022 the M3P is getting the LG 5L (M50 21700) battery which, on paper, provides its maximum discharge current between 10C and 25C, higher voltage at a lower SoC and less voltage drop (sag) under load. I have a hunch that this has been re-introduced to give the P more consistent everyday performance in cooler climates. However, it remains to be seen how much peak power it delivers and how much of that power is above the line, compared with the Panasonic 3L and 2022 LR +AB with the same 5L battery.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I assume 0% is to the far left and 100% to the far right for SoC. I don't know about everyone else, but I am normally somewhere between 40-70% SoC on a daily basis. Unless I just took it off the charger. Then I might be at 80% Most of the time I only charge to 70%.

If I did that with P, it puts it right where a LR w/boost would be putting down the same power (potentially). So now you have a situation where the advantage (if any) is more dependent upon temp and SoC that you might think do to the battery pack limitations. It also explains why it seemed to me that the P was more sensitive to SoC changes than others I've seen. With my LR and boost I don't see significant degradation in my times until down to about 25%.

My experience tracks very closely with this graph. It would also seem to indicate if you have a boosted LR, and the P is down around 70-75% SoC its definitely going to be a close match up.

Definitely interesting to see the effects of the new pack. I wish Tesla had a public relations office that had loaner cars for magazine tests.

Been trying to make my mind up on whether to go with a LR with the Boost, or just jump right into a peformance model.

Main reason for the performance is obvisously the acceleration, but I also think the car just looks much more 'special' with the new 20 inch turbines, red calipers and lowered stance with rear spoiler.

The LR with boost makes more financial sense, but I would not like to go with that then regret not getting the performance afterwards. 10K is a fair chunk of change though. Just wondering if anyone else had this dilema when deciding between the 2 of them? I don't do enough miles for the range difference between them to be an issue.
I have the same dilemma and have switched my order from performance to LR then back to performance. The only reason to get the LR is if you live in the US and they end up passing a EV tax incentive that qualifies for a 8000 dollar discount. This is my reasoning for getting the performance...I hate the stock wheels on the LR and the upgraded wheels are 1500 dollars. Plus 900 to powdercoat the wheels and brake calipers, which I would do. The performance boost on the LR is 2000 dollars and brings the 0 to 60 to 3.6. So in reality you have to ask yourself if the performance is worth the 3600 dollars more after the wheels and performance boost are added to the LR.

For 3600 dollars you get another .5 seconds off 0-60 (2000 dollar value IMO), larger performance breaks (1500 value IMO), track mode (500 dollar value (for me)), carbon spoiler and aluminum pedals (500 dollar value), and better tires and an overall better look IMO. for me its 3600 vs 4500 with the performance being the better value. I think its worth it, but thats just my opinion man....

Been trying to make my mind up on whether to go with a LR with the Boost, or just jump right into a peformance model.

Main reason for the performance is obvisously the acceleration, but I also think the car just looks much more 'special' with the new 20 inch turbines, red calipers and lowered stance with rear spoiler.

The LR with boost makes more financial sense, but I would not like to go with that then regret not getting the performance afterwards. 10K is a fair chunk of change though. Just wondering if anyone else had this dilema when deciding between the 2 of them? I don't do enough miles for the range difference between them to be an issue.
I thought if I bought the LR I'd always be looking at it wishing it was a Performance. I couldn't bring myself to spend £50k on a car I wasn't completely happy with.

I have the same dilemma and have switched my order from performance to LR then back to performance. The only reason to get the LR is if you live in the US and they end up passing a EV tax incentive that qualifies for a 8000 dollar discount. This is my reasoning for getting the performance...I hate the stock wheels on the LR and the upgraded wheels are 1500 dollars. Plus 900 to powdercoat the wheels and brake calipers, which I would do. The performance boost on the LR is 2000 dollars and brings the 0 to 60 to 3.6. So in reality you have to ask yourself if the performance is worth the 3600 dollars more after the wheels and performance boost are added to the LR.

For 3600 dollars you get another .5 seconds off 0-60 (2000 dollar value IMO), larger performance breaks (1500 value IMO), track mode (500 dollar value (for me)), carbon spoiler and aluminum pedals (500 dollar value), and better tires and an overall better look IMO. for me its 3600 vs 4500 with the performance being the better value. I think its worth it, but thats just my opinion man....
It’s about 13.5k dollars difference here in the U.K otherwise would have been a no brainer

Reactions: M3PDOC
I thought if I bought the LR I'd always be looking at it wishing it was a Performance.
Similarly, I would always be driving the LR and wishing it was a Performance. It would cost more to change it when I had to scratch the itch. I will probably keep the M3P for five years, or until something significantly better is available.

Looking at the pricing in a few different countries, there is a remarkable spread in additional cost of the P; from 7% (FR, IT), 8% (DE), 10% (NED), 11% (NO), 16% (AUS), 17% (US) and 20% (UK). It must come down to what the market will pay. In the UK at least the sticker price of the M3P compares well with ICE performance saloons, without even considering whole-life cost (depreciation, fuel, maintenance). I certainly would have spent more on something else.

I also think that Track Mode is under-valued. As a driving enthusiast, how tedious would it be to own a performance car that only allows full power in a straight line. Many of us will never take the car on track but it's remarkable progress for an EV that its systems and software will sustain a fast lap of somewhere like the 'ring.

Back on-topic, it's hard to argue that the P makes financial sense over the LR. Ultimately it's a head versus heart decision.

Last edited:
Looking at the pricing in a few different countries, there is a remarkable spread in additional cost of the P; from 7% (FR, IT), 8% (DE), 10% (NED), 11% (NO), 16% (AUS), 17% (US) and 20% (UK). It must come down to what the market will pay. In the UK at least the sticker price of the M3P compares well with ICE performance saloons, without even considering whole-life cost (depreciation, fuel, maintenance). I certainly would have spent more on something else.
For the Model Y the performance vs LR cost difference is less than 10% in the US, I think over time once they sort their factories out we will see more inline pricing around the world for all models.

The P is definitely a good value offering when compared to other non Teslas.

Just taken delivery of a 2022 M3P, previously had the M3LR so sort of know both models. All I can say is I’m very pleased with the M3P. Not a single issue with it so far (touch wood) and it’s rides fantastic. Both are great cars, but if you want the P and can stretch to it then get one. It you want a LR then buy that instead.
Out of interest, did it have the Ryzen processors, rear double glazing and heated wipers of the 22 version?