Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regretting their purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was super excited to get my CPO 16 Model S 70D and sang praises to Tesla. However, in my 15 months of ownership and only 47,000 miles on the car I have been to the service center 8 times for three broken door handles (replaced with previous model not the new stronger ones), needing to have the connectivity board replaced and upgraded for the phone and radio after chasing it for nine months, replacement of the exploding Takata airbags which Tesla and several other manufacturers continued to put in their cars even with the recall, New Tesla, McLaren, and Ferrari models added to Takata recall list - Autoblog New Tesla, McLaren, and Ferrari models added to Takata recall list. and last weekend I had to leave my car 260 miles away from home when I got the warning of “car may not restart.” The service center found my battery coolant heater was faulty and my 12 V battery was going south as well. Due to mediocre reliability at best I am very frustrated and don’t even want to take it on the highway now for fear of getting stranded, with my young family, in the middle of nowhere. Anyone else so fed up with the trips to the shop and breakdowns that you’re ready to give tesla the boot?

Maybe the future is handle-less doors ...
Mercedes-Benz-Generation-EQ-electric-car-rear-three-quarter.jpg

I was super excited to get my CPO 16 Model S 70D and sang praises to Tesla. However, in my 15 months of ownership and only 47,000 miles on the car I have been to the service center 8 times for three broken door handles (replaced with previous model not the new stronger ones), needing to have the connectivity board replaced and upgraded for the phone and radio after chasing it for nine months, replacement of the exploding Takata airbags which Tesla and several other manufacturers continued to put in their cars even with the recall, New Tesla, McLaren, and Ferrari models added to Takata recall list - Autoblog New Tesla, McLaren, and Ferrari models added to Takata recall list. and last weekend I had to leave my car 260 miles away from home when I got the warning of “car may not restart.” The service center found my battery coolant heater was faulty and my 12 V battery was going south as well. Due to mediocre reliability at best I am very frustrated and don’t even want to take it on the highway now for fear of getting stranded, with my young family, in the middle of nowhere. Anyone else so fed up with the trips to the shop and breakdowns that you’re ready to give tesla the boot?

Sorry for your bad experience.

Mine has been the exact opposite. It's my dream car. It's the family's dream car. My kids only ever want to be in the Tesla. My wife wants to trade her 2016 Lexus RX for and X100D now.

Nothing but positives from our end and zero buyers remorse.

Sometimes, you just get a lemon and maybe that was yours. I purchased a 2007 Lexus IS350 when I lived in NJ and I returned it as a "Lemon" pursuant to NJ's very liberal Lemon Law. I got a 2008 IS350 in exchange for the 2007. My 2008 was a real beauty. No issues at all and I had it for 9 years with zero repairs other than oil changes and I didn't brakes once.

I'm beginning to think that many of these almost new CPO cars are lemons that people traded in.

Mine was a CPO. I was on the Tesla website and mine came up with less than 15k km on it and the price was a bit lower than other similarly equipped cars (so I was worried about that exact issue).

However, I have had it now for 8 months with one very short trip to the service centre, which was resolved immediately.

Sorry to hear about your luck with the Tesla, any car manufacturer has theirs lemons but it is no fun being on the buyer side of that. I haven't had any issues luckily besides some body panel alignment. Not sure if you can try and get traded in towards a different S with hopefully less issue and more sense of security.

Reactions: Hornedfrog1
Curiously my Model X has been far less trouble-free than my Model S, but I do love it quite a bit more despite that (and Service has been good in taking care of things). Overall I've enjoyed both of my Teslas.

They have lacks in comfort features and quality (and yes, the company has issues), but the enjoyment definitely is there for me for the cars themselves. No regrets.

I've had many quality issues with our S, but I would say similar German or Japanese cars are not necessarily better. None have direct competitors to the MS so if you want an electric luxury car, there are no other options.

For sure those other luxury vehicles are better in initial quality. This is the 2017 report on initial quality which shows problems per 100 vehicles. Tesla is the only automaker that has refused to grant JD Power its customer data on initial quality.

Kia tops J.D. Power quality rankings amid shake-up

I love my Model S and wouldn't trade it for anything right now but I'm not so blinded that I can't objectively say that quality has a long way to go for Tesla. Most owners of the top quality cars rarely have any problems or complaints that first three months of ownership.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your luck with the Tesla, any car manufacturer has theirs lemons but it is no fun being on the buyer side of that. I haven't had any issues luckily besides some body panel alignment. Not sure if you can try and get traded in towards a different S with hopefully less issue and more sense of security.
I sent a four page letter to Elon Musk himself. I doubt it will do anything but I’m hoping heaquarters can help me in some way.