Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone remove their door sills?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I go the illuminated sill sold by Tesla. --> 2012-2020 | Model S Illuminated Door Sills

The installation is somewhat vague. It comes with a plastic 'tool' to help remove the old ones, but I can't get the tool under the edge, and I'm worried about trashing the outer plastic of the sills.

Has any one done this before? I could use some advice. I can't find any videos that show the removal.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Model_S-Illuminated_Scuff_Plate_Installation_and_Instructions.pdf
    930.6 KB · Views: 150
Nevermind, I didn't realize the original sills had so much adhesive on the tips. Also, the tool that came from Tesla was way too dull to lift the edge.

The key was to use a metal tool with a sharper edge (plaster knife, etc) and lift the middle, then work your way to the edges.

Attachments

• IMG_8214.jpeg
    IMG_8214.jpeg
    451.8 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_8213.jpeg
    IMG_8213.jpeg
    568.4 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_8215.jpeg
    IMG_8215.jpeg
    425.5 KB · Views: 196
Reactions: zoomer0056
As brico suggested, getting Tesla Service Center to install it might be the easiest way to go. Otherwise, the following video can help:
I also remember using a hair dryer to soften the glue when I swapped mine... (It was the Tesland version but the procedure is pretty much the same)