TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone removed grille at front of dash? Rattle driving me nuts.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Reid, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Reid

Reid Member

I keep meaning to sit down with my trim tools and start trying to lift the speaker grille-like trim at the base of the windshield. I've got a high frequency rattle coming from the base of the windshield on the passenger side that's driving me absolutely batty on rough concrete. Wanted to know if there's any trick to lifting this, or if I'm even going to find anything once I do.

It's relatively subtle, I don't think my wife even notices it, but it's the one noise the car has, and I've gotta silence it!

2. THX723

THX723 Member

I inadvertently removed the front dash speaker grill last night, while attempting to disassemble the A-pillar for a radar detector to VC-left 12v line routing. All I can say is, "What a nightmare it was putting the grill back!" It was especially frustrating since speaker grill removal wasn't necessary for the intended job, but I digress.

Removing the grill is extremely easy. Use a quality pry tool and work along the front edge, where a series of snap clips come undone quite easily. Once all of the front clips are freed, tilt the front edge up then pull towards you to completely detach the grill. You see, the rear edge is not held down by snap clips, instead they are held down by poorly thought out hooks and anchors.

To re-installing the grill, you essentially work in reverse. First is to re-engage the rear hooks to the anchor points. Naturally you’d hold the grill with an angle of approach just as you did when pulling out, so the hooks will reach the anchors. Easy enough? Not exactly. In addition to the angle you’d also need generous amount of compression from the top, so the hooks actually reach the anchors. Once the hooks are in, you’d push the grill forward (towards the windshield) while simultaneously pressing down on the front edge and hopefully engage the front snap clips. All is well and done if you can manage all that.

For me, a few front clips simply won’t slip right in. While continuing to coax the stubborn clips in, the unthinkable happened. The metal insert where the front snap clip drives into dislodges and falls through into the abyss that is the air vent cavity. Yikes! Missing one attachment point to the grill; I can live with. Ending up with the ultimate rattle noise maker; I would go insane. Desperate time calls for desperate moves. I managed to MacGyver my way out of the mess by jimmying up a strong magnet attached to the end of a long zip tie and miraculously fished out the piece. This btw happened 3 more times! Luckily by then, I've become proficient at fishing those suckers.

Hope you've had better luck.

• Like x 2
  3. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

You know how a blonde fixes the car, right? Turn up the radio...

• Funny x 1
  4. Reid

Reid Member

I actually did the same thing removing the dash grille; lost a clip because of the way you have to angle the nub into place. of course it's just right to push the tab on the clip and then force it to fall into the abyss. Fortunately, I have no new rattles, but I was not able to locate the source of the rattle bothering me.

I thought it was coming from the side panel on the dash that you have to remove in order to remove the A-pillar trim; I put a rubber bumper on it but it did not cure the rattle. I'm gonna have to finally get around to making that service appointment finally. Got a few little things I'd like them to look at.

5. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

So the Service Center won't fix rattles on the Model 3 dash? Did you ask?

6. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

If you do find it, please share.

7. THX723

THX723 Member

@Reid, So you left the loose clip inside the vent abyss? Doh! :O

You know what could help you better locate the rattle is a tone generator app for your phone. Stream the tone as BT audio and run through a range of frequencies. You'll be able to pin point the exact frequency that excites any rattle. Good luck.