TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone renewed their Washington Registration since July 15th, 2015?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by breser, Aug 16, 2015.

1. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

Curious if anyone has renewed their Washington registration for an electric vehicle since July 15th and if so what if any Electric Vehicle Fee you've been charged.

The governor signed the transportation bill on July 15th:
    SB 5987 - 2015-16

It modified the current law to add a new $50 license fee on top of the existing $100. But it also removed the clause that made the $100 license fee start in February 1, 2013. Then it adds a new clause that makes both fees take effect in July 1, 2016.

So I believe this means that the Electric Vehicle fee was repeated on July 15th, 2015 until July 1, 2016. I'm curious what the Department of Licensing has been charging people.

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I renewed two EVs earlier this month. I am pretty sure they both included the $100 fee; but I am not positive, and don't see it listed on the paperwork or at MyLicenseExpress.

If you go HERE you can theoretically calculate your fees; presumably it will show a breakdown so you can see. I can't do it because my tabs aren't due now.

3. breser

Yeah mine aren't due until February, so the website won't calculate the fees for me. I'm asking because I wouldn't be surprised if the Department of Licensing is charging it even though the law changed.

4. breser

5. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

From a legal standpoint what do we need to do to get them to NOT charge us? Mine aren't due until December but if it's not legal I don't want to pay it.

6. breser

I'm traveling for business this week. But I plan to try and follow up with my Legislators and the Governor's Office regarding this issue. I would advise anyone with a pending renewal to pay the fee as charged. I would expect if they should not be charging it they will issue refunds.

7. breser

This is the message I sent to my representatives and the Governor. I didn't get to it till this morning.

8. breser

I've received the first response from one of my representatives on Friday and didn't post it immediately since it seemed they misunderstood what I was saying. But after further communication it is clear that they just aren't interested in the issue.

From a Legislative Aide to Representative Chad Magendanz, 5th Legislative District (I'm not posing their actual name and contact info, but I feel it's appopriate to post the office they are representing.):
    I responded trying to clarify the problem:
    The response I received was as follows:
    Which in opinion makes me feel like they just want me to go away. I have no interest in changing the law. But as I read the law the legislature has repealed the Electric Vehicle Fee until July 1, 2016.

I've done further research and the Revised Code of Washington is usually updated in the fall and towards the end of the year. But given the multiple special sessions it will probably be delayed. By coincidence Jay Rodne, one of my representatives, is on the Statute Law Committee that is responsible for overseeing the Code Reviser that produces the RCW. So far no response for that office or my Senator or the Governor's office.

9. breser

In the last week I've received some further responses.

On September 30th, The Executive Assistant to the Policy & Legislative Director of the Department of Licensing sent me the following email (apparently in reaction to my correspondence with the Governor's Office):

I also received the following response from the Senior Legislative Assistant to Senator Mark Mullet on October 2nd:

I haven't heard anything further. But I just sent this response to Mark Mullet's legislative assistant.

[/FONT]