Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone renting on Turo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's correct - Turo only covers up to $75,000. But there are a lot of Model X listings on Turo, so I am surprised someone was turned down. ...
Nobody was turned down that I know of although the text of the reply included “it [Model X] will not be eligible for listing, the reason being that the current insurance policy that Turo has won't be able to cover for that car". Turo is just saying their insurance agency won’t cover cars with fait market value over $75k but that hasn’t stopped anybody from listing their >$100k car. Just because we can doesn’t mean we should.

How does it work to pre-determine that the renter’s insurance would cover and be adequate?

I just starting listing my 2015 Model S 60 on Turo this month. It's getting picked up for its second use tonight. The first one went great. I had/wanted to spend some time going over the features of the car, charging, and not to rely on autopilot (repeated numerous times). From the two people that have booked so far they are both Model 3 reservation holders that want to get a taste of Autopilot and Tesla in general for more than a test drive. Also in both these cases they were able to expense their rental for work travel.

Take a trip in Tesla Model S with Autopilot

I listed my 60 because i just picked up a S90D and the 60 will be sitting around till i sell it. But if the interest to rent keeps up i might as well keep it as a pure rental.

As for insurance you can choose various levels to choose from. Now will I be listing my S90D? Nope.

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-28_14-56-42.png
    upload_2016-9-28_14-56-42.png
    39 KB · Views: 172
I have rented on Turo since I first bought the vehicle. So far, I have rented it out twelve times. I love the service and I have met some fantastic people doing it. I love being able to share this amazing vehicle with others.

Take a trip in Brent's Tesla Model S 85 7 Seater

Brent

How's your experience renting it been since then (nearly a year later)? I'm about to start doing the same with my S85 in North Carolina.

So to clarify Turo does not cover over $75,000? There's a p90d model X on there. Scary...

Turo now covers the Teslas ( S and X ) for full value
And the normal limit for non-Tesla listings is now up to 85k
Below is from the Turo website

"Only passenger cars legally registered in the United States (except New York), in certain provinces of Canada, and in certain other countries are eligible for listing. The vehicle must be model year 2005 or newer, have fewer than 130,000 miles/200,000 kilometers, have a clean (e.g., not a "branded" or "salvage") title, must have never been declared a total loss, and have a fair market value of up to USD$85,000 in the US and CA$75,000 in Canada.* We also accept the Tesla S and the Tesla X, and cover those two vehicles up to their actual cash value at the time of an incident."

Last edited:
A couple issues:

1. If you rent on Turo and then go to sell the car, will the title search on CarFax of VehicleHistory.com show that it has been used as a rental? Doing so would destroy resale value of car. Any experiences with this?

2. Many umbrella insurance policies will not cover you for renting out your car or using for ride sharing like Uber/Lyft. Imagine someone rents on Turo, then accidentally drives into a crowd of people, injuring/killing people. Your umbrella may NOT cover this since it was not personal use. You'd be on the hook for 100% of costs, with no legal assistance from car or umbrella policies.

Thoughts?

Having an accident is a bad thing whether you are personally involved or a renter (or a friend) has an accident in your car. For me, being able to share the ownership experience of the Tesla has been worth it. I have had several people use my referral code to purchase their own Tesla. I am winding down, however, as I will be shortly moving from Anaheim to Arizona and will be using my Tesla to come to Anaheim during the week. I have absolutely loved the Turo experience and have met some amazing individuals. I would do it again even after reading the story about the wrecked R8. I now have a Model X that I love and I still want everyone to be able to own a Tesla in their lifetime.

Brent

I have rented from Turo once and just booked another trip.

My experience, as the renter, was flawless and I enjoyed every minute driving the car. I just rented again for my wife's 40th birthday because she was unable to make the last weekend trip.

I think Turo is a great way to test a vehicle your looking to buy without having a salesman in the car with you. Of course, I knew before I drove the car I wanted one.

Exactly, I'd want to get that number in writing before agreeing to use their service.

It took a few days to get an answer, but they claim the ACV of my 2013 Model S is between $87,400 and $94,000. Although I suspect if it came to a real claim, it would be less. Even if it's $10k or $15k less than that, it's still a pretty decent valuation.

Yes, I have it in writing (email) from Turo. Those are the numbers direct from their 3-rd party assessors.

@HankLloydRight - FWIW I founded and ran an exotic and luxury car rental company back in the late oughts. Once you see the checks rolling in you may not mind some wear and tear. You get the occasional "whale" who will rent your car for a week/two/three/month - and you'll build repeat customers. Rare but it does happen if you "fish" in the pond long enough - and those guys' rentals will pay for all your car ownership. It isn't free money though - it's a high touch business to be successful. Like renting out ski condos you must be "fast on the draw" ie respond to people quickly, give them good service, be flexible, etc - if you want to make lots of revenue. It can get to be a hassle.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm in a decent location -- there are A LOT of Teslas in my pretty upscale town. Too many, in fact. So I have to think there are people (who don't already own one) who might want to rent one to either have a nice ride for the weekend, or trying-before-buying. I'm right near the NY state border, and due to NY state laws, Turo can't operate there. And the "next" closest Tesla is about 20 miles in the other direction. So I have a good exclusive territory for now. I'm also listing the car on Turo as for sale, and that I'll refund 100% of their Turo fee if they would like to buy it and keep it. Actually that's my goal, is to make just enough to pay for insurance, wear and tear, and depreciation until I can sell the car, hopefully in the spring when more people are car shopping. This is just a bad season to try and sell this car.

Reactions: Akikiki
No worries - don't be discouraged if you don't get much business this time of year. I was based out of sunny L.A. and even here the business was heavily concentrated in the summer - no matter whether it was convertibles or hard top coupes renting out. Also, price competitively. At this point I don't know the mileage on your car but if it's somewhat high, additional miles won't affect your sale price too much - but they are a big selling point with customers. Everybody always wants more miles. You can also be flexible with time. Some customers may need the car for a couple weeks, but don't need to drive much - no harm in giving someone 50% off if they take the car two weeks but agree to take very few miles.

There's also business to be had in what is essentially short term leasing. One/two/three months at a time - again if you price it right and structure the miles right it can be profitable and there are always cases of folks who get stuck in a geographic location longer than a week but shorter than a year. Executives/academics on short term assignments, etc. They often do not need anywhere near 100 miles per day but they do need a great deal for 6 weeks.

Finally, you can also go outside Turo to *attract* customers but use the Turo platform for the *transaction/screening and insurance.* Google adwords, building and SEO'ing a website (do your research on how many people are searching phrases like "tesla rental" "luxury car rental" - then bid for adwords on those phrases, doing a geographic screen so the guy in Arizona doesn't see your ad unless he is searching "luxury car rental connecticut."

Many more folks are looking for luxury rentals than have heard of Turo. Craigslist is also a legit place to find customers if you are methodical. You can also broker deals with luxury car rental companies to let them use your car and pay you a fee - be careful with insurance.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
@HankLloydRight - finally, don't be afraid to think outside the box in terms of who your customers are. Don't believe that age and credit status automatically correlated to "won't wreck my car" risk.

Personally I'm a contrarian. I made tons of money off guys who:

1 - Were under 25, and
2 - Did not have credit cards or had credit bad enough they could not get financing to buy the luxury/exotic they wanted.

My experience was the young guys and the credit-challenged were simply very grateful that someone would let them rent a nice car - and I never had problems with them. I never had any problems either with the guys who I am quite sure were various types of criminals. I certainly charged high security deposits for the young guys. One 21 year old materials science undergrad at Cal Tech had a very rich daddy who owned a chemical manufacturing company back in Taiwan. Baby boy had an Amex black card and no problem putting down a $10K deposit to keep a Ferrari parked outside his dorm room - he paid $5,000 per month on a month-to-month rental and got only 500 miles. Never wrecked my car or abused it. Another guy was only 20, also had a very high limit credit card, and liked taking my Bentley GT to various events around L.A. Never had a problem with him.

Another guy was, I think, some kind of pyramid scheme scammer - he paid $8,000 per month for a long term Bentley rental. He was a hassle of a customer - I'd have to frequently send employees banging on his door to collect, threatening to take the car back, etc. But he paid. And for $8,000 a month for a car worth only $100K at the time - he was worth the hassle.

Had several gentleman who mysteriously needed to pay in cash - but they had drivers licenses, insurance, had no problem with me knowing where they lived. Never had a problem.

I have also experienced, counterintuitively, that in my experience convicted felons have been the most stable, on-time paying residential real estate tenants.

Just my two cents